RE: Can it be done?
(07-07-2016 02:51 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  [Image: latest?cb=20151217014352]

it ain't no Tardis
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2016, 11:00 PM
Okay, let's try this another way.

Suppose we were to take two of every species and 14 of the clean ones and confine them all to that volume.

What general-relativistic effect would that much consolidated mass have on space-time?
08-07-2016, 08:16 AM
[Image: slave-ship-planking21.jpg]

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
08-07-2016, 10:46 AM
(06-07-2016 08:20 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  The real question is,what about all the plants? They couldn't survive that long under water plus all the plants they needed to feed the animals, bamboo for the Pandas, eucalyptus for the Koalas, etc.

I actually went to AiG to look up the plant issue. And as I've said before, it is odd to have your expectations so low and still be disappointed.

According to AiG the plants all survived. Because there are plants that live in swamps whose roots are submerged, therefore plants could survive a year totally submerged. I shit you not, that is their explanation.
08-07-2016, 10:56 AM
(08-07-2016 10:46 AM)natachan Wrote:  
(06-07-2016 08:20 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  The real question is,what about all the plants? They couldn't survive that long under water plus all the plants they needed to feed the animals, bamboo for the Pandas, eucalyptus for the Koalas, etc.

I actually went to AiG to look up the plant issue. And as I've said before, it is odd to have your expectations so low and still be disappointed.

According to AiG the plants all survived. Because there are plants that live in swamps whose roots are submerged, therefore plants could survive a year totally submerged. I shit you not, that is their explanation.

Even in salt water?

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
08-07-2016, 11:08 AM
(08-07-2016 10:56 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  
(08-07-2016 10:46 AM)natachan Wrote:  I actually went to AiG to look up the plant issue. And as I've said before, it is odd to have your expectations so low and still be disappointed.

Even in salt water?

and with all their leaves far enough underwater to have little or no light, just like the plants in swamps.... oh, wait....

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
08-07-2016, 02:24 PM
(06-07-2016 08:41 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Just how exactly are we defining a "kind"? Are insects all of one kind, or do they need to be separate? Is a rat a separate kind from a mouse? This will greatly impact the numbers involved.

PHYLUM about 32 to 40
CLASS about 94 to 108
ORDER about 420 to 450
FAMILY close to 6,000
GENUS around 110,000
SPECIES 2-5 MILLION+

2271 species in 491 genera in the order Rodentia - Wikipedia

So mouse and rat are different FAMILIES.

2 pairs of each GENUS is around a half million. Add another 5 pairs of the "clean" animals and we will be over 1,000,000 animals which now have to evolve into millions of species in a couple thousand years.

If representative members of the FAMILY are used, then we have maybe around 30,000 to fit on the ark? And again, only a couple thousand years to diversify.

"They think, therefore I am" - god
[+] 1 user Likes TechnoMonkey's post
08-07-2016, 06:23 PM
Yeah, they say the water "probably wasn't as salty" as modern ocean water.

They don't address the no sunlight and no carbon dioxide. Swamp plants are a thing, so plants could survive the flood.

Low bar. Expectations not met.
08-07-2016, 08:07 PM
(08-07-2016 06:23 PM)natachan Wrote:  Yeah, they say the water "probably wasn't as salty" as modern ocean water.

They don't address the no sunlight and no carbon dioxide. Swamp plants are a thing, so plants could survive the flood.

Ocean salinity is a consequence primarily of three phenomena:

1) Rainwater which, in the process of falling to earth, got a lot of carbon dioxide disolved in it, resulting in carbonic acid.

2) Runoff eroding away and dissolving a variety of minerals.

3) Elements introduced from hydrothermal vents.

Given that these are the same people arguing that there was massive rainfall, water runoff powerful erosive enough to rapidly carve features like the Grand Canyon, and that some of the flood came from "fountains of the deep".... why would they think salinity would be LOWER?

.... oh, right, because it supposedly helps their case. That's what decides what facts are true
08-07-2016, 08:30 PM
So, a few other things I wanted to check on from AiG:

Q: How did Kangaroos and Koalas get to Australia?
A: Floating logs from the dead trees (but didn't the trees all survive as per other question?) and lower sea levels due to an ice age that occurred right afterwards.

Q: What about the native Americans?
A: Land bridge from Siberia and boats from Israel. Because native American words sometimes sound like ancient Mesopotamian words. And there are no written works from native peoples anyway.

Q: Insects and parasites?
A: Floating debris. The people miraculously didn't grab onto.