Can matter be created from non-matter?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2013, 09:27 PM
RE: Can matter be created from non-matter?
(21-09-2013 09:22 PM)nach_in Wrote:  
(21-09-2013 08:50 PM)theword Wrote:  Matter, in this case, is something tangible. Now, I know you will try to side-step the issue and debate this. But the fact is, you cannot create something "tangible" out of anything that is not "tangible". It can't happen, it never has happened.

You say something from nothing right? Riddle me this wordy, if there's nothing, absolutely nothing, then where did the rule that nothing can come from nothing came from?
I love it when you atheist fools cannot answer the question.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-09-2013, 09:29 PM
(21-09-2013 09:27 PM)theword Wrote:  
(21-09-2013 09:22 PM)nach_in Wrote:  You say something from nothing right? Riddle me this wordy, if there's nothing, absolutely nothing, then where did the rule that nothing can come from nothing came from?
I love it when you atheist fools cannot answer the question.

You didn't answer the question either

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
21-09-2013, 09:45 PM
(21-09-2013 09:23 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  
(21-09-2013 09:17 PM)theword Wrote:  Do you people realize you are creationists? It's true, I am not trying to be funny.
We both agree in evolution, although our definition of "evolution" may be different. We both agree that a dog came from a wolf. But the problem is: it is still a wolf-like creature. A bird did not come form a wolf.
Not one of you could tell me where life began, not even Darwin did that.- oh wait- he did mention "the creator".
Why don't you people admit that you hate God and leave it at that?

I can't hate something that I don't believe in. Do you hate the Tooth Fairy? Do you hate Allah? Do you hate Ra?

Somehow you keep thinking that atheism, evolution and abiogenesis are interchangeable. Facepalm

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSpvwT3lxeNRkMS5xecWPd...0Da9j9ZP0V]

Sorry Pookie. I know he's you best friend, but I really hate Barney. That's about it.
(And idiot believers).
But the gods ... not so much.
Zeus and Thor were cool. Yahweh was a douche bag. Yahweh's wife was sorta cool.
If you believe in the gods, you do believe in Yahweh's wife, right.
Baal was kinda boring.
When you get big, you will find out the Easter Bunny and Santa are ... well ... I don't want to ruin your fantasies for you.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
21-09-2013, 09:48 PM
"Can matter be created from non-matter?"

theword has essentially conceded defeat on this question by moving the goal posts to the question of where the first matter came from. OK, fine, but that is a DIFFERENT question than the one posed.
21-09-2013, 09:49 PM
(21-09-2013 09:45 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(21-09-2013 09:23 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  I can't hate something that I don't believe in. Do you hate the Tooth Fairy? Do you hate Allah? Do you hate Ra?

Somehow you keep thinking that atheism, evolution and abiogenesis are interchangeable. Facepalm

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSpvwT3lxeNRkMS5xecWPd...0Da9j9ZP0V]

Sorry Pookie. I know he's you best friend, but I really hate Barney. That's about it.
(And idiot believers).
Baal was kinda boring.
When you get big, you will find out the Easter Bunny and Santa are ... well ... I don't want to ruin your fantasies for you.
Thanks Buckyboy for your usual response that does nothing but insult and adds nothing intellectual to the conversation.
21-09-2013, 09:50 PM
(21-09-2013 09:48 PM)BryanS Wrote:  "Can matter be created from non-matter?"

theword has essentially conceded defeat on this question by moving the goal posts to the question of where the first matter came from. OK, fine, but that is a DIFFERENT question than the one posed.
Thanks Bryan, please tell me where I can get life form non-life, or where I can get something out of nothing.
21-09-2013, 09:52 PM
(21-09-2013 09:49 PM)theword Wrote:  
(21-09-2013 09:45 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSpvwT3lxeNRkMS5xecWPd...0Da9j9ZP0V]

(And idiot believers).
Baal was kinda boring.
Thanks Buckyboy for your usual response that does nothing but insult and adds nothing intellectual to the conversation.

Sound familiar?

[Image: ezgif_save_1.gif]
21-09-2013, 09:52 PM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2013 10:24 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Oh, there was something "intellectual" about this thread ? Sorry. I hadn't noticed that.

If you ask mommy, and get buhmission to stay up late, Bucky will esplain this one more time. That's it. Ok. Now listen very carefully, Pookie.

http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/questio...number=631

This is where matter came from.
Energy and matter are INTERCHANGEABLE. The energy turned (decayed) into matter. Just like what happens in the opposite direction when bombs go "boom". (Don't be scared now).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
21-09-2013, 10:06 PM
Matter is not a scientific term. Define 'matter'. Define 'non-matter'. The question is incoherent. The follow-ups are utterly unrelated.

Evolution is a consequence of life, due to the eminently manifest reality of variation, selection, and heredity. To deny any of these is willful ignorance of an almost unimaginable magnitude. And yet somehow you manage it.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
21-09-2013, 10:13 PM
(21-09-2013 09:50 PM)theword Wrote:  
(21-09-2013 09:48 PM)BryanS Wrote:  "Can matter be created from non-matter?"

Thanks Bryan, please tell me where I can get life form non-life, or where I can get something out of nothing.

It's good to see that you are conceding the original question you posed.

Now onto your new questions, the first is actually addressed by the virtual particles Bucky pointed you towards very early in the thread. Those are particles, pairs of matter and antimatter, that pop into existence without cause. We do not have conclusive evidence yet that this was how our universe came into existence, but observing this virtual particle phenomena certainly makes a universe from nothing plausible. You, however, rely on a god-of-the-gaps argument for the origin of the universe. That's a dangerous place to be, because science has this way of marching past those theological presuppositions that 'god did it'. Physicists are getting closer to the point that we can describe the whole origin of the universe without the need of a god--we already have the testable models that do this, and just need to continue to gather more evidence. Read Hawking's Grand Design for an accessible book on the topic, or listen to Lawrence Kraus's youtube, "A Universe from Nothing".

We don't yet have a good understanding of how life came from non-life. We have a lot of possible avenues to explore for naturalistic explanations. We've already discovered methods that some DNA and RNA base letters can form spontaneously from other common molecules. We do not have a complete picture on how we got to the point that natural selection could take over to create the diversity of life we see now. Here, you would again rely on god-of-the-gaps to fill in god as the agent that formed the first self replicating, naturally selectable life.

Science is honest about where it needs more evidence--is your religion capable of the same?