Can non-life become life

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-12-2013, 04:29 PM
RE: Can non-life become life
(26-12-2013 02:25 PM)theword Wrote:  
(26-12-2013 02:09 PM)Chas Wrote:  Your question does not make a lot of sense. What is a "non living, breathing, functioning organism"?Consider
Chas,
This is not a trick question. Can life come from non-life? You study evolution, how did or could life occur? Does it happen now? If something is living and breathing, it must be alive and some kind of animal, insect, or whatever.
The question is not that deep. Can life occur from non-life?

Your question did not ask that, as I pointed out.

Several credible mechanisms for abiogenesis have been proposed. Since there once was no life and now there is a profusion of life, and the profusion is elegantly explained by evolution, it is reasonable to conclude that abiogenesis occurred.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
26-12-2013, 04:41 PM
Quote:Can life come from non-life?

Why would you ask such a thing. It is nonsensical even from a theistic point of view.
Even if you assume god, he still created people from... nothing. And nothing is pretty much "non-life".

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Slowminded's post
26-12-2013, 04:45 PM
No.

But we Germans can create non-life out of life.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 7 users Like The Germans are coming's post
26-12-2013, 04:49 PM
(26-12-2013 04:45 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  No.

But we Germans can create non-life out of life.

Yeah, Wagner killed music. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
26-12-2013, 04:53 PM
(26-12-2013 04:49 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yeah, Wagner killed music. Dodgy

I would disagree on that.

But I prefer Russian Classic over German Classic.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
26-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Yes, absolutely. Our bodies are comprised of many individual atoms which can't be considered as "alive" by any stretch of the imagination. Only when they are arranged in a certain fashion do they produce that which we call life. Smartass

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 5 users Like Vosur's post
27-12-2013, 05:46 PM
Life is little more than an autocatalytic reaction with heredity and delusions of grandeur.

Oddly, theists frequently level the charge at atheists and scientists that we don't see the majesty in the world around us. I find it pretty amazing that I'm one of several quadrillion discrete branches of a chemical reaction that has been going for roughly 4 billion years without interruption.
[+] 3 users Like Paleophyte's post
27-12-2013, 06:35 PM
(26-12-2013 02:01 PM)theword Wrote:  You will have to excuse me because I believe this has been covered before, but I could not find it.
My question questions is: can life be generated form non-life? More specifically can living, breathing, functioning organisms be formed from a non living, breathing, functioning organism.

Where did this "non living, breathing, functioning organism" come from? Your question only begs the question.
27-12-2013, 11:53 PM
(26-12-2013 02:01 PM)theword Wrote:  You will have to excuse me because I believe this has been covered before, but I could not find it.
My question questions is: can life be generated form non-life? More specifically can living, breathing, functioning organisms be formed from a non living, breathing, functioning organism.

Yes, it is termed abiogenesis. It is distinct from evolution by natural selection but like evolution it is a step-wise, gradual process. The ability to self-replicate preceded life (as classically conceived), i.e. the first high-fidelity self-replicators were non-living. Once high-fidelity self-replication is achieved the attributes that collectively constitute life are just those that facilitate self-replication by permitting the molecular building blocks to be sought-out and hazards to be avoided.

Self-replication is more significant than life per se, life is useful only to the extent that it contributes towards self-replication. As Bucky posted, viruses sit somewhere between life and non-life and they have been very successful but they are parasitic on life, i.e. they need organisms' cells to reproduce. Their replicative mechanism is entirely dependent on the continuation of the organisms that provide their host cells.

From the examples of life that you listed your thinking is far too granular. No one proposes that something even as complicated as a bacterium emerges directly from organic molecules. Non-living self-replicators and self-replicators with some of the attributes that collectively constitute "life" preceded the evolution of bacteria.
[+] 4 users Like Chippy's post
27-12-2013, 11:56 PM
(27-12-2013 06:35 PM)joben1 Wrote:  Where did this "non living, breathing, functioning organism" come from? Your question only begs the question.

I think (s)he means non-living, non-breathing, non-functioning "thing". But the use of the word "organism" in that context shows a lack of even high-school-level biology education. That doesn't augur well for this discussion.