Can non-life become life

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2013, 02:48 AM
RE: Can non-life become life
Food gives us life. Not all food (like meat and veggies) was once alive.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-12-2013, 02:53 AM
(28-12-2013 02:48 AM)Caveman Wrote:  Food gives us life. Not all food (like meat and veggies) was once alive.

Are you drunk?

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Germans are coming's post
28-12-2013, 03:06 AM
(28-12-2013 02:48 AM)Caveman Wrote:  Food gives us life. Not all food (like meat and veggies) was once alive.

Awesome.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chippy's post
28-12-2013, 08:27 AM
The possibility of life coming from non-life through random processes should be considered highly plausible, but the pathway is not fully known at this time.

The possibility of life coming from non-life through non-random processes should be considered suspect. No known pathway is known at this time, and no agent is known at this time.

These two alternatives both answer your question in the affirmative. If you accept the Christian faith then you must accept that life can come from non-life. For example, you must accept that god created life from inanimate materials such as "dirt".

The third alternative, the one that answers your question in the negative is implausible: That some form of life existed at the beginning of the universe and has continue to propagate itself from there. No religion believes this as far as I am aware, and no known pathway exists for this to have occurred.

Therefore it seems open and shut: If either you are right or I am right then yes life can come from non-life.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 6 users Like Hafnof's post
28-12-2013, 08:36 AM
(26-12-2013 04:53 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  
(26-12-2013 04:49 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yeah, Wagner killed music. Dodgy

I would disagree on that.

I would disagree too. Like Edgar Wilson Nye, I think "Wagner's music is better than it sounds." Tongue

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
28-12-2013, 10:56 AM
(28-12-2013 08:36 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(26-12-2013 04:53 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  I would disagree on that.

I would disagree too. Like Edgar Wilson Nye, I think "Wagner's music is better than it sounds." Tongue

So Wagner killed The Sound of Music? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-12-2013, 11:29 AM
(28-12-2013 10:56 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-12-2013 08:36 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  I would disagree too. Like Edgar Wilson Nye, I think "Wagner's music is better than it sounds." Tongue

No. You listen, and if you're constipated, it makes you go, (among other things).
Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
03-01-2014, 05:56 AM
(26-12-2013 02:01 PM)theword Wrote:  You will have to excuse me because I believe this has been covered before, but I could not find it.
My question questions is: can life be generated form non-life? More specifically can living, breathing, functioning organisms be formed from a non living, breathing, functioning organism.

Please define "Life" and "Non-Life".
03-01-2014, 05:58 AM
(28-12-2013 10:56 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-12-2013 08:36 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  I would disagree too. Like Edgar Wilson Nye, I think "Wagner's music is better than it sounds." Tongue

Wagner may well have been the first hard rock musician. That's got to count for something even if you don't like rock.
11-01-2014, 03:57 AM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2014 12:16 PM by Mathilda.)
The problem with the question is that it assumes that there exists a binary distinction between something being alive and not. As has been previously said on this thread, this falls down when considering things like viruses. Or another example, what about a seed left inside an Egyptian pyramid for a thousand years then is then planted and becomes a tree. Is that seed alive?

The only single characteristic of all forms of life is that it has a metabolism of sorts. This means that the organism has a flow of free-energy through it which is put to some use and ends up globally increasing entropy.

Don't think of the beginnings of life as involving organisms but rather persistent space-time structures. Life is a consistent pattern that is maintained over time. Our cells are always being replaced but we still consider ourselves the same person. A lenticular cloud above a mountain ridge will have all its water molecules replaced over time but all we see is a cloud. As the saying goes you can't step into the same river twice.

The flow of free-energy maintains this persistent pattern, without it, the localised pattern of order cannot be maintained. Humans get their energy from food, plants from sunlight, clouds from thermals created by sunlight. Remove the inflow of energy and the pattern breaks down.

The really interesting question is how simple space-time structures that maintain their state by the inflow of free-energy start to reproduce.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post