Can non-life become life

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2014, 07:56 PM
RE: Can non-life become life
The question is a little strange... I'll ignore the part about non living breathing functioning organism and simply say yes. I think it's safe to assume that the there was a time when no life existed. And then suddenly(on a cosmic timescale) there was life! It had to come from somewhere. Whether or not you believe in god is irrelevant to this question. Either god exists and it created life from non life or god doesn't exist and nature took its course and "created" life from non life. The only other option is that life always existed but I doubt that very much.
That's how I see it anyway...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2014, 08:13 PM
(26-12-2013 02:25 PM)theword Wrote:  
(26-12-2013 02:09 PM)Chas Wrote:  Your question does not make a lot of sense. What is a "non living, breathing, functioning organism"?Consider
Chas,
This is not a trick question. Can life come from non-life? You study evolution, how did or could life occur? Does it happen now? If something is living and breathing, it must be alive and some kind of animal, insect, or whatever.
The question is not that deep. Can life occur from non-life?

Your question has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with evolutionary theory.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
13-01-2014, 06:05 PM
(12-01-2014 08:13 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(26-12-2013 02:25 PM)theword Wrote:  Chas,
This is not a trick question. Can life come from non-life? You study evolution, how did or could life occur? Does it happen now? If something is living and breathing, it must be alive and some kind of animal, insect, or whatever.
The question is not that deep. Can life occur from non-life?

Your question has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with evolutionary theory.

Agreed. Darwinian evolution came after life started (or proto-life).

A really good book on this is "Epic of evolution: seven ages of the cosmos" by Eric Chaisson, an American astrophysicist. He also wrote "Cosmic Dawn: The origins of Matter and Life". What he refers to is something he calls Cosmic evolution, literally, starting with the big bang, the radiation era to how matter first developed, the first generation of stars, the chemical era, the biological era and ending with culture. Darwinian evolution develops quite late in the game.

Seen over such a long term, from the perspective of thermodynamics and energy gradients caused by the expansion of the universe, it seems inevitable that life will always start in some form or another somewhere.

I'm a big fan of his work and it has influenced me a lot.