Can one be an atheist and not believe in evolution?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2013, 01:11 PM
I often point out to religious peeps that the notion of a god is irrelevant to us today and I say evolution is too. How humans got to where we are from billions of years ago means nothing to our daily lives.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-02-2013, 01:19 PM
RE: Can one be an atheist and not believe in evolution?
Sure. Atheism and science are two very different things. Atheism is the lack of belief in deities. Science is the study of things.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
[+] 3 users Like One Above All's post
21-02-2013, 01:22 PM
Wow OAA, that's a sweet avatar pic !

Yep, you can be an atheist and believe the truth of some other proposed mechanism for generation of life. I'd say you can't be a creationist though - 'cos that by definition implies a deity (I think).
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
21-02-2013, 01:39 PM
Technically you could believe in intelligent design but give the designer different properties than a god, I think more than a few sci-fi movies do this but the one that comes readily to mind is 'Prometheus' but I think the aliens in that movie only create humans not the entire universe.... I think.

Talent hits the target no one else can hit, while genius hits the target no one knew existed.
21-02-2013, 01:50 PM
You can. I don't think it's common though. The only reason not to accept evolution as valid is religious conviction or ignorance (usually a combination of the two).

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
21-02-2013, 02:10 PM
I don't understand the question. Atheism and evolution have nothing to do with each other. Your question is like asking "Can one disbelieve in Santa Clause but still believe in gravity?".

Your question, like mine, is simply nonsense.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
21-02-2013, 02:21 PM
You don't have to believe in evolution. Though luckily, it exists whether or not you believe in it Tongue

I disagree that our origin has nothing to do with our daily lives, especially medically speaking. Also, ever heard the phrase, "history repeats itself"? A wise person would learn from other's mistakes. Like how to avoid the dark ages.
[+] 3 users Like LadyJane's post
21-02-2013, 02:38 PM
(21-02-2013 02:21 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  You don't have to believe in evolution. Though luckily, it exists whether or not you believe in it Tongue

I disagree that our origin has nothing to do with our daily lives, especially medically speaking. Also, ever heard the phrase, "history repeats itself"? A wise person would learn from other's mistakes. Like how to avoid the dark ages.

Yes I have heard of that phrase and its not true. I honestly don't care what the Neanderthals were up to, I don't stop in the middle of the day and think " did the Neanderthals do it doggy style".
21-02-2013, 02:40 PM
(21-02-2013 02:38 PM)I and I Wrote:  
(21-02-2013 02:21 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  You don't have to believe in evolution. Though luckily, it exists whether or not you believe in it Tongue

Yes I have heard of that phrase and its not true. I honestly don't care what the Neanderthals were up to, I don't stop in the middle of the day and think " did the Neanderthals do it doggy style".
But adaptations that the Neaderthals developed might be useful to us. How they had sex may not necessarily be all that important, but what they ate and how may be useful.

Evolve

Smartass
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Beard2
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
21-02-2013, 02:43 PM
Religious people look to the past to validate their present lives. Basing current lifestyles from fetishizing the past is a mistake in regards to moving forward. The past, especially millions of years ago is not high on my priority list.