Can one be an atheist and not believe in evolution?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2013, 02:44 PM
(21-02-2013 02:40 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(21-02-2013 02:38 PM)I and I Wrote:  Yes I have heard of that phrase and its not true. I honestly don't care what the Neanderthals were up to, I don't stop in the middle of the day and think " did the Neanderthals do it doggy style".
But adaptations that the Neaderthals developed might be useful to us. How they had sex may not necessarily be all that important, but what they ate and how may be useful.

Neanderthal dueces......
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-02-2013, 02:46 PM
RE: Can one be an atheist and not believe in evolution?
(21-02-2013 01:11 PM)I and I Wrote:  I often point out to religious peeps that the notion of a god is irrelevant to us today and I say evolution is too. How humans got to where we are from billions of years ago means nothing to our daily lives.

You can be an atheist and believe or not believe anything you want.

So long as deities are not included.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
21-02-2013, 05:34 PM
(21-02-2013 02:10 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  I don't understand the question. Atheism and evolution have nothing to do with each other. Your question is like asking "Can one disbelieve in Santa Clause but still believe in gravity?".

Your question, like mine, is simply nonsense.
This. Too many people think these things are related, when, in fact, the only thing that defined atheism is not believing in deities.

But I think the reasoning here is more that, if one does not accept evolution, they usually think deities shat everything out in the space of a week with no noteworthy changes since, and satan put dino bones in the earth to confuse us.

Quote: I often point out to religious peeps that the notion of a god is
irrelevant to us today and I say evolution is too. How humans got to
where we are from billions of years ago means nothing to our daily
lives.
Religious people look to the past to validate their present lives.
Basing current lifestyles from fetishizing the past is a mistake in
regards to moving forward. The past, especially millions of years ago
is not high on my priority list.
Maybe not yours, but I don't see why it's a problem that other people are curious about science and our origins. This is not at all the same as "fetishizing the past." I think learning from the past can be quite valuable.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like amyb's post
21-02-2013, 06:01 PM
Consideration of evolution might not matter very much in our daily lives, but our evolutionary path has obviously had a huge effect on our lives...

And there are plenty of ways in which consideration of evolution can prove useful. The majority of which are probably medical. But there are plenty of ways in which evolution has shaped more than our biology, but our societies... and there is no reason to think that consideration of it now, shouldn't be able to shape the future.

But no, you don't need to believe in evolution to be an atheist...
21-02-2013, 06:06 PM
(21-02-2013 05:34 PM)amyb Wrote:  
(21-02-2013 02:10 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  I don't understand the question. Atheism and evolution have nothing to do with each other. Your question is like asking "Can one disbelieve in Santa Clause but still believe in gravity?".

Your question, like mine, is simply nonsense.
This. Too many people think these things are related, when, in fact, the only thing that defined atheism is not believing in deities.

But I think the reasoning here is more that, if one does not accept evolution, they usually think deities shat everything out in the space of a week with no noteworthy changes since, and satan put dino bones in the earth to confuse us.

Quote: I often point out to religious peeps that the notion of a god is
irrelevant to us today and I say evolution is too. How humans got to
where we are from billions of years ago means nothing to our daily
lives.
Religious people look to the past to validate their present lives.
Basing current lifestyles from fetishizing the past is a mistake in
regards to moving forward. The past, especially millions of years ago
is not high on my priority list.
Maybe not yours, but I don't see why it's a problem that other people are curious about science and our origins. This is not at all the same as "fetishizing the past." I think learning from the past can be quite valuable.

Learning from the past to change the present unfortunately isn't what most people do in general.
21-02-2013, 07:44 PM
You know what else has no meaning on our lives today?

This thread.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
21-02-2013, 08:01 PM
"Learning from the past to change the present unfortunately isn't what most people do in general."

That's true. That's because we can't change much in the present. We can, however, look at the past in an effort to change the future, which is the most important function of scientific exploration.

I'm curious.... why do you think it is that you feel compelled to call yourself a disbeliever in evolution? I understand you aren't interested in it. I'm not interested in country music but I don't need to tell myself or anyone else that I don't accept its existence or its entertainment value to some people.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-02-2013, 10:40 PM
(21-02-2013 01:22 PM)morondog Wrote:  Wow OAA, that's a sweet avatar pic !

Yep, you can be an atheist and believe the truth of some other proposed mechanism for generation of life. I'd say you can't be a creationist though - 'cos that by definition implies a deity (I think).
There's this newfangled theory called intelligent design that creationdesign proponentsists can accept without believing in any god. Just ask Dr Behe and the friendly folks at the Discovery Institute to explain it to you.
21-02-2013, 11:47 PM
(21-02-2013 10:40 PM)BryanS Wrote:  
(21-02-2013 01:22 PM)morondog Wrote:  Wow OAA, that's a sweet avatar pic !

Yep, you can be an atheist and believe the truth of some other proposed mechanism for generation of life. I'd say you can't be a creationist though - 'cos that by definition implies a deity (I think).
There's this newfangled theory called intelligent design that creationdesign proponentsists can accept without believing in any god. Just ask Dr Behe and the friendly folks at the Discovery Institute to explain it to you.

I am in the unfortunate position of having actually been to a lecture by the good doctor, before I had any clue who the hell he was. He came to our random little podunk university in the middle of nowhere and delivered a sermon with diagrams Big Grin Even opened and closed with a prayer.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
22-02-2013, 01:49 AM
(21-02-2013 01:11 PM)I and I Wrote:  I often point out to religious peeps that the notion of a god is irrelevant to us today and I say evolution is too. How humans got to where we are from billions of years ago means nothing to our daily lives.

Sure can. And you can be religious yet accept evolution as scientific fact.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post