Can one be an atheist and not believe in evolution?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-02-2013, 03:46 AM
Re: Can one be an atheist and not believe in evolution?
Yep... You could also believe in incorrect pure Lamarckian style evolution.

There was that topic last week of the aliens seeding life. A guy that didn't believe in evolution.(since he seemed to ignore that the aliens need an origin of life, he just didn't consider it evolution I guess)

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2013, 06:23 AM
So a person in 2013 has to be occupied with what happened millions of years ago. The present or the future is for weirdos...
22-02-2013, 06:35 AM (This post was last modified: 22-02-2013 06:40 AM by Free Thought.)
RE: Can one be an atheist and not believe in evolution?
(22-02-2013 06:23 AM)I and I Wrote:  So a person in 2013 has to be occupied with what happened millions of years ago. The present or the future is for weirdos...

One of those people huh...

A person in 2013 does not need to be occupied with evolution, millions of years in the past. Just like they do not need to be occupied with history, even so recent as ten years in the past.

It does not matter if you or another is so apathetic as to ignore that which can be described as one of the most successful scientific theories in human history, that does not change the fact that by all evidence, it happened, whether you wish to believe/care about it or not.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
22-02-2013, 06:50 AM
(21-02-2013 11:47 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(21-02-2013 10:40 PM)BryanS Wrote:  There's this newfangled theory called intelligent design that creationdesign proponentsists can accept without believing in any god. Just ask Dr Behe and the friendly folks at the Discovery Institute to explain it to you.

I am in the unfortunate position of having actually been to a lecture by the good doctor, before I had any clue who the hell he was. He came to our random little podunk university in the middle of nowhere and delivered a sermon with diagrams Big Grin Even opened and closed with a prayer.

"the good doctor" Laughat Hahahahaha.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-02-2013, 06:52 AM
(22-02-2013 06:23 AM)I and I Wrote:  So a person in 2013 has to be occupied with what happened millions of years ago. The present or the future is for weirdos...
Evolution is the basis for all of biology and therefore of medicine. Why don't you think that's important?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
22-02-2013, 04:33 PM
(22-02-2013 06:52 AM)Chas Wrote:  
Evolution is the basis for all of biology and therefore of medicine. Why don't you think that's important?

I didn't say it wasn't important at all. How did evolution affect your life yesterday?
22-02-2013, 04:35 PM
Since we are still evolving shouldn't we be more concerned with present day human existence? Fetishizing the past is cool to think about but it doesn't get shit done.
22-02-2013, 04:45 PM
(22-02-2013 04:35 PM)I and I Wrote:  Since we are still evolving shouldn't we be more concerned with present day human existence? Fetishizing the past is cool to think about but it doesn't get shit done.

We shouldn't care of the future either as well as the past, after all, fantasizing over the future doesn't get shit done.

All that matters is our immediate lives in our immediate sphere of extremely localized influence.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
22-02-2013, 05:18 PM
(22-02-2013 04:33 PM)I and I Wrote:  
(22-02-2013 06:52 AM)Chas Wrote:  Evolution is the basis for all of biology and therefore of medicine. Why don't you think that's important?

I didn't say it wasn't important at all. How did evolution affect your life yesterday?

I survived because I was faster and smarter than my neighbor, who was eaten by a lion.

After arriving at work, I found that the bacterial cultures I was monitoring had, through a random mutation, become a potential money-maker.

I then went on to find a beautiful woman who shares a similar interest in fitness and science (including evolution), had a stimulating conversation with her, about evolution, and now I'm more attracted to her because she would be a good mate, and give any offspring a better chance than if I had chosen the diseased idiot next to her as a mate.
[+] 4 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
22-02-2013, 05:51 PM
" and now I'm more attracted to her because she would be a good mate, and
give any offspring a better chance than if I had chosen the diseased
idiot next to her as a mate."

You still got that other chicks number? I'm not interested in conversation or actually making new primates.