Can one be an atheist and not believe in evolution?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2013, 10:30 PM
RE: Can one be an atheist and not believe in evolution?
IandI, do you even try to read what you write before you post? I swear you sound like cleverbot, even on good days.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-02-2013, 04:35 AM
(21-02-2013 01:11 PM)I and I Wrote:  I often point out to religious peeps that the notion of a god is irrelevant to us today and I say evolution is too.
When the doctor prescribes an antibiotic, do you take it for the prescribed course or stop when you get well? The reason I ask is because the reason docs tell you to take antibiotics for the entire course is to help keep antibiotic resistant bacteria from evolving and causing massive harm to other human beings.
You won't think evolutions is irrelevant to us today when you are diagnosed with an antibiotic resistant strain of TB.

Vosur, Anjele, Hanoff.....have you learned nothing in my absence?
25-02-2013, 04:52 AM
Ayn Rand didn't believe in evolution. In her 1973 article entitled “The Missing Link,” Rand states, "I am not a student of the theory of evolution and, therefore, I am neither its supporter nor its opponent."

That's a pretty-damned stupid statement - a total Non Sequiter. For example, lot's of people aren't students of the Theories of Gravity or Electromagnitism, yet they believe.
25-02-2013, 05:42 AM
By definition, atheism is just the rejection of the existence of god. All science is just evidence for why atheism is correct. You can reject the existence of god without any evidence if you wish, just like how all theists believe in the existence of god without any evidence. The science is just there to prove that you're right, should you wish to.

Also, evolution is not irrelevant. Without it, modern biology would be nowhere near advanced and as a result, modern medicine would not be at its current level. Also, by understanding evolution we can predict animal movements/populations/changes which can affect the food chain as a whole (because we need to eat), as well as create vaccines for viruses before they reach a certain stage of evolution.

Everything is connected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGK84Poeynk

Science, logic and how they destroy religious arguments @ http://scepticalprophet.wordpress.com/

To surrender to ignorance and call it God has always been premature, and it remains premature today.
- Isaac Asimov.
Faith means not wanting to know what is true.
- Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Sceptical Prophet's post
25-02-2013, 03:22 PM
(21-02-2013 02:38 PM)I and I Wrote:  
(21-02-2013 02:21 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  You don't have to believe in evolution. Though luckily, it exists whether or not you believe in it Tongue

I disagree that our origin has nothing to do with our daily lives, especially medically speaking. Also, ever heard the phrase, "history repeats itself"? A wise person would learn from other's mistakes. Like how to avoid the dark ages.

Yes I have heard of that phrase and its not true. I honestly don't care what the Neanderthals were up to, I don't stop in the middle of the day and think " did the Neanderthals do it doggy style".

You don't? I ponder that question several times a day.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
25-02-2013, 06:08 PM
Can one be an atheist and not believe in evolution?
So being more concerned about the present or future is apparently a strange concept to the sheeple of the forum.
25-02-2013, 06:17 PM
(25-02-2013 06:08 PM)I and I Wrote:  So being more concerned about the present or future is apparently a strange concept to the sheeple of the forum.
Go ahead and be concerned with whatever you like. There are plenty of people on this planet who will concern themselves with that which you're not interested. No one is bothered that you don't care about evolution... they're bothered that you're arguing against facts.

Now if you'll excuse me, there's a bump on my taint that is of great concern to me....

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-02-2013, 06:25 PM
(25-02-2013 06:08 PM)I and I Wrote:  So being more concerned about the present or future is apparently a strange concept to the sheeple of the forum.

What are you talking about? Local connections to the universe in the present allow us to understand what is happening around us and make predictions about what will be happening in the immediate future. Obviously the immediate past, present, and immediate future are of great concern to most people... And are usually of greater concern than the distant past...

That being said, evolution as it relates to the link between past and present can be an incredibly useful tool, and should be taken in to consideration when planning for the future.

It seems like the thread title isn't even your concern at all. You seem to have some strange belief that if one considers evolution throughout the day, that they aren't concerned with the present or the future, and thats just not true.

If I were in the middle of a discussion about australopithecus, and saw a man walk into the building brandishing a couple guns and a samurai sword, I'm not just going to ignore him because my talk about evolution is so much more important.
25-02-2013, 11:25 PM
Obviously, caring about evolution is a CIA conspiracy.

They control all the immunologists, I'll have you know.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.