Can opener

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-10-2017, 09:00 PM
Can opener
Does anyone use a manual can opener? I prefer them bc I can throw them in the dishwasher. But the last two I bought got rusted right away and seized up--despite saying dishwasher safe on their packaging. Obviously, they're not jennybee proof Dodgy Wink Anyone use a manual can opener that they like--that lasts and I can't destroy? Tongue

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
12-10-2017, 09:08 PM
RE: Can opener
(12-10-2017 09:00 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Does anyone use a manual can opener? I prefer them bc I can throw them in the dishwasher. But the last two I bought got rusted right away and seized up--despite saying dishwasher safe on their packaging. Obviously, they're not jennybee proof Dodgy Wink Anyone use a manual can opener that they like--that lasts and I can't destroy? Tongue

I have a manual because we have a super tiny kitchen and no room for an electric. My hands would prefer and electric but fuck them. What I've found is it is better to spend more on one and avoid any that have any plastic on them.
The one I have now is an "Oneida stainless steel". I've had it for a couple of years and maybe it was $25.
[+] 1 user Likes Jedi Rainbow Dash's post
12-10-2017, 09:10 PM
Yup, I like ours and it has lasted a long time
It's Oxo brand:

[Image: 31BX1YMJPFL._SY355_.jpg]

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like ShadowProject's post
12-10-2017, 09:12 PM
(12-10-2017 09:08 PM)Jedi Rainbow Dash Wrote:  
(12-10-2017 09:00 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Does anyone use a manual can opener? I prefer them bc I can throw them in the dishwasher. But the last two I bought got rusted right away and seized up--despite saying dishwasher safe on their packaging. Obviously, they're not jennybee proof Dodgy Wink Anyone use a manual can opener that they like--that lasts and I can't destroy? Tongue

I have a manual because we have a super tiny kitchen and no room for an electric. My hands would prefer and electric but fuck them. What I've found is it is better to spend more on one and avoid any that have any plastic on them.
The one I have now is an "Oneida stainless steel". I've had it for a couple of years and maybe it was $25.

Is it dishwasher safe?

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
12-10-2017, 09:12 PM
oh....I never dishwash ours. I hand wash it. Not sure if it can be washed in dishwasher.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
12-10-2017, 10:33 PM
I suggest an Oxo Smooth Edge opener. There is no contact with the contents of the can so it rarely needs much washing.

[Image: img73c.jpg]

And, as the name implies, there are no sharp cut metal edges.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
12-10-2017, 11:09 PM
Never owned an electric can opener. The two manual openers we have are both pretty generic and with no rust problem. I generally just rinse them off in the sink and dry immediately afterwards, though.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
12-10-2017, 11:14 PM
Pretty sure my manual is a Kitchen Aid, and I think it's great. One reason for owning a manual is for hurricane season.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
13-10-2017, 05:18 AM
(12-10-2017 11:14 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Pretty sure my manual is a Kitchen Aid, and I think it's great. One reason for owning a manual is for hurricane season.

Yes, I also have mine for my earthquake kit. Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
13-10-2017, 05:19 AM
(12-10-2017 10:33 PM)Chas Wrote:  I suggest an Oxo Smooth Edge opener. There is no contact with the contents of the can so it rarely needs much washing.

[Image: img73c.jpg]

And, as the name implies, there are no sharp cut metal edges.

This looks good Thumbsup Thank you!