Can science today create a truly "empty" space?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-02-2013, 12:49 PM
Can science today create a truly "empty" space?
My understanding is that you can remove all matter from a space, and shield it from radiation/energy. But particles (100% verified? name?) constantly pop in and out of existence, and so a truly empty space doesn't exist in our visible universe.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-02-2013, 01:20 PM
RE: Can science today create a truly "empty" space?
Your talking about Virtual Particles. They appear to be certain that they are the cause of the Casimir effect which is tested in space. so I would say no, we can not create a truly empty space. However I would like to see my opinion proven wrong.

Scientifically illiterate people tend to say, and I have had this said to me on youtube...

"well it's called a VIRTUAL particle, so it doesn't exist"

No, the name is misleading. A more suitable name would be Temporary or Temporal particles.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

14-02-2013, 07:55 AM
(13-02-2013 01:20 PM)Aspchizo Wrote:  Scientifically illiterate people tend to say, and I have had this said to me on youtube...

"well it's called a VIRTUAL particle, so it doesn't exist"

No, the name is misleading. A more suitable name would be Temporary or Temporal particles.
The religious are incredibly good at believing that they get to redefine what scientists really mean when they say things. To many religious, any word
means whatever they want it to mean at any particular moment if it helps sustain the state of denial they live in, kinda like their books.
14-02-2013, 08:37 AM

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post