Poll: Can someone be a decent person AND a Christian?
Yes, however religious they are anyone can be considered decent
No, all Christians are not decent, period
It depends on how literally they take their religion
I don't think you can say any answer definitively on this
[Show Results]

Can someone be a decent person AND a Christian?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2014, 10:41 PM
RE: Can someone be a decent person AND a Christian?
I used to think the world was black and white too. But then I grew up...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Drunkin Druid's post
24-04-2014, 10:50 PM
Heh Banjo, your claim is fucking ridiculous. CofE, Catholics, Methodists etc: there are loads of Christian sects that are 'Christian', and as BB has already explained Christianity has been fragmented since the start! You don't get it free pass to define Christianity as only the frame that fits our understanding of fundamentalists, especially when your original post is aimed squarely at KC who is a Calvanist!

Nor do you get to fire bombs and demand no retaliation because you're possibly fatally ill, if you don't want shots fired at you, don't fire them at other people!

1. Morality evolved in our species through natural selection. Some people are good, some bad.
2. Atheists are evolved people with evolved morality who do not believe in god.
3. Christians are comprised of the same evolved animal with evolved morality who do believe in God.

That's the only difference.

You have back peddled. You initially attacked KC who is not a fundie. ... You seem to conveniently have the presence of mind to play the 'I'm really ill and don't know what I'm saying' card at oppotune moments when challenged with something taxing. Do you see how that is suspicious?

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
24-04-2014, 10:55 PM
My criteria is the Bible.

The illness thing is simply to share that I am not 100%. Not a cop out.

I have no issue with KC. I simply wonder what is going on.

Many kinds of Christians eh? Yeah I know. Who could forget St Bartholomew's day???

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
24-04-2014, 11:03 PM
(24-04-2014 10:55 PM)Banjo Wrote:  My criteria is the Bible.

Many kinds of Christians eh? Yeah I know. Who could forget St Bartholomew's day???
I am totally confused now, but that might have something to do with the Vodka and this female version of an erection that I have at the moment. No, I didn't get that from your illness, which I am super sorry about, by the way.

I got it from this guy I'm texting who looks like Keanu Reaves. Only problem is, he's a little bit big for me.... >.>

The only problem with KC is with his apparently persistent lying, what with tricking people into oatmeal raisin cookies when he promised them peanut butter and the like.... Laughat

I do realized I was asked a question. I'll com back to it. I don't have the mental capacity to fully answer it, though I do believe my own oxygen levels are fairly normal. My BAC however....
24-04-2014, 11:07 PM (This post was last modified: 24-04-2014 11:10 PM by Banjo.)
(24-04-2014 10:41 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I used to think the world was black and white too. But then I grew up...

I think you misunderstand me. All Christians support the Bible. They are connected to it. It is their system. How well they know it is beside the point.

Is the Bible chock full of love and kindness or mindless violence and xenophobia?

And one more thing, what is good or bad is subjective. You have my thoughts. I do not claim to speak for a god. There's lots of "good people" gonna be sitting in pews this week listening to loads of diatribes about atheists, homosexuals, a black President...You name it.

They're all nice people. Why wouldn't they be??? Drinking Beverage

EDIT: Ok that last bit is kind of mad. Maybe I am below 70%.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
24-04-2014, 11:08 PM
(24-04-2014 10:55 PM)Banjo Wrote:  My criteria is the Bible.

Reread your original post in context in the original thread mate. In that thread you directly address KC and call him out on his Christianity. I am merely pointing out you have moved the goal posts on this thread to claim the following.

Only fundamentalists are Christians and I only meant them. ... if that was your original meaning, nobody on here would have argued with you and this thread wouldn't have been made.

You held KC as your example of a Christian via the narrative context, who is not a fundamentalist then the shit has hit the fan in this thread so you have back peddled. If you are only standing by your viewpoint regarding fundies you have back peddled and should admit you were wrong, or, explain irrefutably why only you decide who is or isn't a Christian. Drinking Beverage

[+] 3 users Like Monster_Riffs's post
24-04-2014, 11:20 PM
Well mate I'll leave you with your interpretation. My ideas about Christianity go way way back. Everything comes down to scripture. Everything when we are talking Christianity. Oh and history.

You guys thino I am purposely insulting your friend. I am not. And whether he is a Cqlvanist or a Catholic makes no difference to me.

Any person who follows the Bible is the same to me. It is always the scripture. If you have learned anything about me today it is that. New Christian, Baptist, Catholic, at the beginning of all of that is the scripture.

Following a text that tells you to kill your relatives if they have other beliefs is far from "good" IMO.

Never was a Christian. I have no guilt about a Christian past. I don't know about anyone else. I always rejected it. And I'll reject it until I drop dead.

Banjo.
24-04-2014, 11:24 PM
(24-04-2014 11:20 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Never was a Christian. I have no guilt about a Christian past. I don't know about anyone else. I always rejected it. And I'll reject it until I drop dead.

You have no guilt about a Christian past. Well that's great. As if I didn't have enough things to be guilty about. Sadcryface
[+] 2 users Like Charis's post
24-04-2014, 11:27 PM
Sorry Charis.

Banjo.
24-04-2014, 11:50 PM
(24-04-2014 11:20 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Well mate I'll leave you with your interpretation. My ideas about Christianity go way way back. Everything comes down to scripture. Everything when we are talking Christianity. Oh and history.

You guys thino I am purposely insulting your friend. I am not. And whether he is a Cqlvanist or a Catholic makes no difference to me.

Any person who follows the Bible is the same to me. It is always the scripture. If you have learned anything about me today it is that. New Christian, Baptist, Catholic, at the beginning of all of that is the scripture.

Following a text that tells you to kill your relatives if they have other beliefs is far from "good" IMO.

Never was a Christian. I have no guilt about a Christian past. I don't know about anyone else. I always rejected it. And I'll reject it until I drop dead.

Nobody refutes that the Bible is full of sick shit. It also has some cool stuff in it too. I take it as a work of fiction as an atheist. ... Not all Christians are literalists by the way, and your original question is can someone be a good person if they are a Christian? The answer is still yes, unless they actually act upon the sadistic shit! Just because it's in the book doesn't mean they do it or condone it!

I noticed the typos by the way and I got the reminder of the end of your post you're going to die. ... This reinforces exactly what I mean when you get some back! ... Honestly, I call troll!