Can someone explain Pascal's wager?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2015, 08:06 AM
Can someone explain Pascal's wager?
In layman a terms what's Pascal's wager? I was reading Wikipedia and still don't understand it.

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes smileXsmileXsmile's post
30-05-2015, 08:19 AM
RE: Can someone explain Pascal's wager?
(30-05-2015 08:06 AM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  In layman a terms what's Pascal's wager? I was reading Wikipedia and still don't understand it.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 6 users Like jennybee's post
30-05-2015, 08:21 AM
It's basically saying that you might as well believe in one of the religions, even at random, because then at least you have some chance, rather than none, at being saved in the end.
[+] 1 user Likes Gilgamesh's post
30-05-2015, 08:28 AM
(30-05-2015 08:06 AM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  In layman a terms what's Pascal's wager? I was reading Wikipedia and still don't understand it.

Pretending to believe in order to gain reward from god, who supposedly won't care that you "believed" in him only because fear of punishment and hope for reward.

Simpler - it is idiocy as there are many gods to choose from. More to the point god existence is absurd notion without shred of evidence.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
30-05-2015, 08:29 AM
Pascal proposed that belief in a non-existent god has less consequences than disbelief in an existent god. Wasted effort vs eternal punishment/ loss of paradise. Pascal claims there is everything to gain and little or nothing to lose. One major flaw in this thinking is the assumption that out of thousands of gods, the Christian God is the only option. Furthermore, an omniscient being would certainly be able to detect any lack of sincere belief.

You can lead a theist to reason, but, you cannot make him think.
[+] 1 user Likes NoSkyDaddy's post
30-05-2015, 08:45 AM

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
30-05-2015, 08:54 AM
(30-05-2015 08:19 AM)jennybee Wrote:  

You beat me to it. Thumbsup Big Grin

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 1 user Likes Tonechaser77's post
30-05-2015, 10:16 AM
It's assuming, if God exists, that it gives a damn that you believe in it, if he does, whether or not he actually exists, you're better off believing in it to be safe from hell.

There are many problems with it, one I don't always seem come up right away by people is what I put into that post. It's the assumption that god will judge a human by their belief, perhaps God judges them by not believing.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
30-05-2015, 11:26 AM
When he proposed this everyone was pretty much a christian (in Europe).

So put it simply...

If you belief and God doesn't exist, then you are no worse off but if he exists, you're in like Flynn.

If you DON'T belief and God doesn't exist you are no worse off but if he exists, you're in eternal damnation.

So if you're a betting man, you should bet on believing with better expected outcome (hence the wager reference).

What it doesn't account for are the multitudes of Gods out there, what if you bet on a Christian god and it's actually Hindu Gods, the expected outcomes start to change... so it's not a relevant "wager" gaming analysis... but he proposed it, there was only 1 God option.
[+] 1 user Likes slakker's post
30-05-2015, 12:48 PM
The essence of it seems to be:

If you are an atheist you have nothing to win but everything to loose.
If you are a believer you have nothing to loose but everything to win.

The problem as I see it, is that it assumes you have chosen the right god(s) to believe and disregard the many different religions you have to choose from.