Can someone explain Pascal's wager?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2015, 12:58 PM
RE: Can someone explain Pascal's wager?
The real problem with it is that it's not reasonable to believe a claim simply because the claim has an inherent "if you don't buy into it this bad thing happens" safety-net.

I doubt most theists believe that stepping on a crack will break their mothers back.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Gilgamesh's post
30-05-2015, 01:29 PM
(30-05-2015 08:06 AM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  In layman a terms what's Pascal's wager? I was reading Wikipedia and still don't understand it.

Pascal's Wager - It is a "safe bet" to believe in God just in case he is real. What's the harm? If you believe and he doesn't exist, you don't lose anything, but if you don't believe and he does exist, you lose big time.

One cannot pretend to believe, one either does or does not. I surmise that a large percentage of "christians" go through the motions under this pretense. If there is a god, I am sure he can see through the pretending..the greatest problem with the wager is its suggestion that a rational person can knowingly will himself to believe a proposition for which he has no evidence. A person can profess any creed he likes, of course, but to really believe something, he must also believe that the belief under consideration is true.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
30-05-2015, 01:48 PM
Pascal's Wager --

A putz - hedging his bets.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
31-05-2015, 06:19 AM
It's an admission that you can't satisfy the burden of proof as a theist.

The following is not fact checked and is from memory. I'm on my phone. Take with a grain of salt.

Pascal is a celebrated mathematician who became preoccupied later in life with the question of whether or not to believe. His wager appears in writing published by others after his death.

His wager follows a series of writings where he convinces himself that the Christian God is the most sensible to believe in. He discounts polytheism and various other beliefs before coming to the final question: To believe in the Christian God or not?

His final choice between belief in the most reasonable God model and disbelief in that model is that he should believe despite the burden of proof not being met. He decides that it is safer to believe than disbelieve.

Finding himself not able to believe despite his best attempts he decides that he should spend the rest of his life faking it until he makes it. He hopes the rituals of belief will lead to actual belief.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
31-05-2015, 06:37 AM
Pascal's Wager, Bucky's Corrolary :

If there really is a god, she's really a dumb shit, and won't know if you *say* you believe, but really don't.

It's really a wager, not on IF there's a god, but whether she's paying attention to her damn job.

Smartass ... Tongue ... Smartass

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
07-06-2015, 04:11 AM
Pascal's Wager - an agnostic with soul insurance

My blog
[Image: communion_zpslrzvgcuh.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes WalkingSnake's post