Can someone fill me in on this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-07-2010, 01:25 PM
Can someone fill me in on this?
Link to NephilimFree's latest pile of hate and ignorance. It's a new style, and honestly I prefer it to having to listen to his voice. Anyway, forty seconds into it it claims that atheists like to have snakes and spiders as pets(implying that all the good Christians don't). I think I'm missing something here, cause I don't get how that is partially slanderous and hateful, other than the basic stereotyping. Is there something in the bible claiming that thy shall not have have snakes/spiders as thy pets? Or is the connection that only evil people have snakes and spiders as pets, and atheist equals evil?

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2010, 01:39 PM

RE: Can someone fill me in on this?
(08-07-2010 01:25 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  Link to NephilimFree's latest pile of hate and ignorance. It's a new style, and honestly I prefer it to having to listen to his voice. Anyway, forty seconds into it it claims that atheists like to have snakes and spiders as pets(implying that all the good Christians don't). I think I'm missing something here, cause I don't get how that is partially slanderous and hateful, other than the basic stereotyping. Is there something in the bible claiming that thy shall not have have snakes/spiders as thy pets? Or is the connection that only evil people have snakes and spiders as pets, and atheist equals evil?

Snakes and spiders are regularly used in the bible to represent the forces of evil, for example, the serpent that tempted Eve to taste the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good end evil in the garden of Eden, which then got them thrown out to the harsh world.
Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2010, 01:56 PM
(08-07-2010 01:39 PM)New Frontier Wrote:  
(08-07-2010 01:25 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  Link to NephilimFree's latest pile of hate and ignorance. It's a new style, and honestly I prefer it to having to listen to his voice. Anyway, forty seconds into it it claims that atheists like to have snakes and spiders as pets(implying that all the good Christians don't). I think I'm missing something here, cause I don't get how that is partially slanderous and hateful, other than the basic stereotyping. Is there something in the bible claiming that thy shall not have have snakes/spiders as thy pets? Or is the connection that only evil people have snakes and spiders as pets, and atheist equals evil?

Snakes and spiders are regularly used in everything to represent the forces of evil, for example, the serpent that tempted Eve to taste the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good end evil in the garden of Eden, which then got them thrown out to the harsh world.

Fixed.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
08-07-2010, 02:01 PM
I get it, thanks. And of course he can't differentiate between symbolic metaphors and literal meanings.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
08-07-2010, 02:14 PM

(08-07-2010 01:56 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(08-07-2010 01:39 PM)New Frontier Wrote:  

Snakes and spiders are regularly used in everything to represent the forces of evil, for example, the serpent that tempted Eve to taste the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good end evil in the garden of Eden, which then got them thrown out to the harsh world.

Fixed.

Not really fixed...

[Image: caduceus.png]

Caduceus, often used as a symbol for medical practice,

[Image: Rod_of_asclepius.png]

This is the rod of Asclepius, who is the ancient Greek god of medicine and healing.

The spider isn't necessarily a force for evil either, f. ex. in ancient Egyptian mythology the spider was associated with the goddess Neith as the weaver of destiny.
08-07-2010, 02:34 PM

I hate snakes and spiders. Does that mean I'm not an Atheist? Huh
08-07-2010, 02:45 PM
this dividing different animals into good and evil is pretty interesting. snakes and spiders are kept as evil animals, because usually people fear them and they look thretning. and theres a reason for that fear, we all know fear is a surviving method for animals, even if i know that sometype of spider is not poisonous, doesnt bite and does no harm, im still afraid of it.
but is the fear learned as a child or is it somehow hereditary?

so when they say atheists have more snakes and spiders than un-normal people, they expect people to see them as symbols of evil

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
08-07-2010, 03:10 PM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2010 03:16 PM by ashley.hunt60.)
(08-07-2010 02:34 PM)xxxsaltyxxx Wrote:  I hate snakes and spiders. Does that mean I'm not an Atheist? Huh

Yes, yes it does. And apparently if you are Christian then you have to kill all snakes and spiders upon first sight. Wow, I guess Fox News is right, Christians are a minority.

(08-07-2010 02:45 PM)Kikko Wrote:  this dividing different animals into good and evil is pretty interesting. snakes and spiders are kept as evil animals, because usually people fear them and they look thretning. and theres a reason for that fear, we all know fear is a surviving method for animals, even if i know that sometype of spider is not poisonous, doesnt bite and does no harm, im still afraid of it.
but is the fear learned as a child or is it somehow hereditary?

so when they say atheists have more snakes and spiders than un-normal people, they expect people to see them as symbols of evil

I like to keep my distance from snakes and spiders, regardless of their venom status. Basic fear is genetic, but I think a lot of particular fears are environmental. People in America tend to fear Muslims and atheists, but this doesn't hold to to everyone, only those told about the bad deeds done by Muslims and atheists.

Anyway, I wasn't able to make the connection between the snake as a symbol of evil and temptation to an real snake, due to the fact that I'm not so stupid to think that snakes are really evil. They are an animal, having one as a house-pet doesn't mean anything other than the house-owner likes snakes.

08-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Ok ok, gotta throw in my two cents here, only because I am a snake breeder. In fact I make my living partially by breeding rats for snake feed, so here goes.

Just an interesting tid-bit to start...ALL spiders are in fact venomous. Many do not use their venom as a defense, and many, if not most, are harmless to humans, but they all do have venom.

As for the snake part of things, I think I can offer a little insight due to a great deal of exposure to people seeing, touching, holding a snake for the first time. Lots of people react the same way; I've just always hated snakes. Well, when prodded further, most people can trace that hate back to what they were taught as a youngster, and not to my suprise, their first memories of nasty snake stories are from church. It's all a matter of ignorance. And I mean ignorance in the true meaning. Just a lack of knowledge, and often misinformation. Snakes are, however, quickly becoming very popular as pets, as the stigma is being taken away every day. It's all about knowledge, and being open to real education. Kind of like skeptisism. Instead of just swallowing what you're fed, you ask whats in it, and learn for yourself. Maybe thats why atheists tend to be more accepting of keeping snakes as pets. (And in my experience a large portion of snake keepers are atheists as well). They learn about them instead of just assuming that what they've been told is true.

Bit of a ramble, but you get me going on snakes, and you'll be hard pressed to shut me up! I love em!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
08-07-2010, 08:15 PM
(08-07-2010 08:02 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Lots of people react the same way; I've just always hated snakes. Well, when prodded further, most people can trace that hate back to what they were taught as a youngster, and not to my suprise, their first memories of nasty snake stories are from church. It's all a matter of ignorance.

Glad to say I never got brainwashed into believing crap like that. A snake is just another animal. They are not evil, don't enjoy tempting humans, and I was never taught that stuff thankfully. It's a disturbing thought to hate something just for trying to live and exist. And really, anyone who believes snakes are trying to conspire to take down humanity belongs in the loony bin.