Can stable worm holes exist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-07-2016, 11:35 PM
Can stable worm holes exist?
Consider building this perpetual motion machine/

Step 1: Create a worm hole in your laboratory so that one entrance is on the floor and the other entrance is 10' directly above the first.

Step 2: Place a copper coil between the two entrances.

Step 3: Drop a magnet through the coil.

Collect free energy, sell it, and buy EvolutionKills a personality.

Now I imagine that the amount of energy you could collect from such a machine wouldn't come close to keeping your worm hole open. Does this mean that natural, stable worm holes like you see in Star Trek cannot possibly exist?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Heywood Jahblome's post
08-07-2016, 11:41 PM
RE: Can stable worm holes exist?
I think this should be your new avatar.

[Image: Harley-Rider-faggot-fag-GIF]

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
08-07-2016, 11:45 PM
At work.

I vaguely remember reading some where ("The science of Star Trek" ? Consider ) that stable worm holes aren't beyond what's possible in physics.

However, I believe the idea also involved in something with the shape of a 'Toroidal black hole'. Can't remeber if you need such a thing at both ends.....

So.... not something you fit "In a lab".

Though, your lab sizes may vary. Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
09-07-2016, 09:18 PM
(08-07-2016 11:35 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Consider building this perpetual motion machine/

Step 1: Create a worm hole in your laboratory

Riiiiiiight. Just how do you plan on doing that?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
09-07-2016, 09:23 PM
This one looks pretty stable.

[Image: 1122+-+Hole+2a.jpg]
[+] 8 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
09-07-2016, 09:30 PM
(09-07-2016 09:23 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  This one looks pretty stable.
(snip)

Beat me to it. Smile
[+] 2 users Like I Am's post
10-07-2016, 12:01 AM
(09-07-2016 09:18 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  
(08-07-2016 11:35 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Consider building this perpetual motion machine/

Step 1: Create a worm hole in your laboratory

Riiiiiiight. Just how do you plan on doing that?

It's a thought experiment. If stable worm holes can exist, then one can create energy from nothing. So they can't exist because creating energy from nothing violates physics. That was my thinking initially. However I suppose that stable worm holes can exist as long as the space between the entrances is expanding at such a rate that the distance between the entrances is increasing faster than the speed of light.

I speculate that if we find a white hole, the corresponding black hole that feeds it will have to be somewhere outside the observable universe.
10-07-2016, 02:44 AM
Why, oh why, did I open this thread?

That's right, because the mobile version doesn't display the OP's screen name.
10-07-2016, 02:56 AM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2016 03:01 AM by Heywood Jahblome.)
(10-07-2016 02:44 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Why, oh why, did I open this thread?

That's right, because the mobile version doesn't display the OP's screen name.

God didn't give you the ability to think abstractly did He? Certain solutions to GR suggests that worm holes can exist. A thought experiment like this allows one to think about the implications of those solutions should they actually be observed in nature. If those implications violate physics, then that would be very good reason to conclude that such solutions in GR are simply mathematical artifacts and not something we should ever expect to observe.

I started this thread to see if someone could reconcile the implications of the thought experiment with accepted physics. So far....I was the only one. Its too bad we can't create stable worm holes and create energy from nothing....Evolution Kills is in serious need of a personality.
10-07-2016, 10:43 AM
(10-07-2016 02:56 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Certain solutions to GR suggests that worm holes can exist. A thought experiment like this allows one to think about the implications of those solutions should they actually be observed in nature. If those implications violate physics, then that would be very good reason to conclude that such solutions in GR are simply mathematical artifacts and not something we should ever expect to observe.

Or it demonstrates that your understanding of the phenomena in question is incomplete. Seeing as how your understanding of GR as it relates to the mechanics of stable wormholes is on par with a nematode's understanding of global economics guess which one is more likely.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.