Can't criticize Islam among liberals?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2016, 06:06 PM
Can't criticize Islam among liberals?
Not that I care to disclose my political view, but for the sake of this post, I will just say I am usually somewhere there in the middle.

Either way, I have a lot of friends who are very bright, most are very liberal too. However, why is it that criticizing the crazy shits in Islam is so frowned down upon? I am automatically a racist? They always said "Oh it is only the extremists or the radicals". In reality, a vast majority of "moderate" muslims hold the same view as these radicals. Why is it that liberals can criticize anyone or any set of theology, political views, or philosophy that are sexist, racist, homophobic yet when muslims hold those view as instructed by their belief, it is hand off? I think this special exception is stupid.

Doesn't this make most of these liberals to be hypocritical? Why are we not defending the principles we claimed to be champion of in the face of Islam?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like TheMoralist's post
11-08-2016, 06:08 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2016 07:55 PM by pablo.)
RE: Can't criticize Islam among liberals?
I consider myself to be somewhat liberal. Fuck Islam. All of it.
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
11-08-2016, 06:08 PM
Because they're moral relativist or cultural relativist

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
11-08-2016, 06:12 PM
(11-08-2016 06:06 PM)TheMoralist Wrote:  Not that I care to disclose my political view, but for the sake of this post, I will just say I am usually somewhere there in the middle.

Either way, I have a lot of friends who are very bright, most are very liberal too. However, why is it that criticizing the crazy shits in Islam is so frowned down upon? I am automatically a racist? They always said "Oh it is only the extremists or the radicals". In reality, a vast majority of "moderate" muslims hold the same view as these radicals. Why is it that liberals can criticize anyone or any set of theology, political views, or philosophy that are sexist, racist, homophobic yet when muslims hold those view as instructed by their belief, it is hand off? I think this special exception is stupid.

Doesn't this make most of these liberals to be hypocritical? Why are we not defending the principles we claimed to be champion of in the face of Islam?

Can you define Islam, Muslim, and terrorist?

Just so we know we are all talking about the same thing.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
11-08-2016, 06:17 PM
What a load of shit. Most people I know hate all religions.

This is Australia.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 6 users Like Banjo's post
11-08-2016, 06:49 PM
Liberalism is just passivisim to what society deems as "right" and the correct thing to do to help maintain a healthy and cooperative society. When you question the status quo and bring these "rights" into question, people go onto defensive mode, as that also brings into question what they believe.

Sadly there are not enough philosophers in the world who question themselves and their own beliefs and seek evidence or understanding to back them up. Some are quite happy to hold onto their beliefs as they have invested a lot of time into them and dont like anybody stirring them up.

Not many people like to think their wrong.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
11-08-2016, 06:53 PM
Islam isn't a race, it's a religion.
All religion is fair game to be criticized because it's all a bunch of shit that's brought nothing but bad shit to this world.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 11 users Like earmuffs's post
11-08-2016, 07:03 PM
I consider myself liberal leaning but I maintain that Islam just like Christianity is dog shit after the dog ate road kill. But that doesn't mean that I feel the same way about the people who follow the religion.

I think you have to separate the religion from the adherent.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
11-08-2016, 07:08 PM
(11-08-2016 07:03 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I consider myself liberal leaning but I maintain that Islam just like Christianity is dog shit after the dog ate road kill. But that doesn't mean that I feel the same way about the people who follow the religion.

You say that, but if there was a guy on the corner with a sign yelling it's the end of the world you'd think he was a crackpot. You thinking he was a crackpot is a reflection of his persons, not what he believes.

I'm not sure you can separate the two. Anyone that believes in religion is a fucking crackpot.

[Image: oscar.png]
11-08-2016, 07:15 PM
(11-08-2016 07:08 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(11-08-2016 07:03 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I consider myself liberal leaning but I maintain that Islam just like Christianity is dog shit after the dog ate road kill. But that doesn't mean that I feel the same way about the people who follow the religion.

You say that, but if there was a guy on the corner with a sign yelling it's the end of the world you'd think he was a crackpot. You thinking he was a crackpot is a reflection of his persons, not what he believes.

I'm not sure you can separate the two. Anyone that believes in religion is a fucking crackpot.

We'll have to disagree Muffs.

There are crackpots and then there are people like the young FC, brainwashed, indoctrinated, mind-fucked. But I wasn't a crackpot just misguided. I know I'm not the only one.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 6 users Like Full Circle's post