Can't criticize Islam among liberals?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2016, 07:17 PM
RE: Can't criticize Islam among liberals?
(11-08-2016 07:15 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(11-08-2016 07:08 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  You say that, but if there was a guy on the corner with a sign yelling it's the end of the world you'd think he was a crackpot. You thinking he was a crackpot is a reflection of his persons, not what he believes.

I'm not sure you can separate the two. Anyone that believes in religion is a fucking crackpot.

We'll have to disagree Muffs.

There are crackpots and then there are people like the young FC, brainwashed, indoctrinated, mind-fucked. But I wasn't a crackpot just misguided. I know I'm not the only one.

I think our definition of crackpot differs.
Because I'd still call the young indoctrinated FC a crackpot. The older more wise FC I would not call a crackpot.

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2016, 07:31 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2016 07:36 PM by Full Circle.)
(11-08-2016 07:17 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(11-08-2016 07:15 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  We'll have to disagree Muffs.

There are crackpots and then there are people like the young FC, brainwashed, indoctrinated, mind-fucked. But I wasn't a crackpot just misguided. I know I'm not the only one.

I think our definition of crackpot differs.
Because I'd still call the young indoctrinated FC a crackpot. The older more wise FC I would not call a crackpot.

Oh, er, thank you? I think. Consider

Anyway my def of a crackpot is someone who believes in shit that has no evidence and...

Fuck it, never mind. Dodgy

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
11-08-2016, 07:40 PM
^fuckin' Muffs Big Grin
11-08-2016, 08:16 PM
I do keep the religion separate from the people! But I can't help it if the people who follows these religions are imbeciles! Then they and the religion they follow are one.

What I mean by this is that even "moderate" muslims in large number believe women need to be covered up from head to toes with what looks like a trash bag. Or even among the moderate Muslims, they believe homosexuality is punishable by death! It's a problem when these people are considered "moderate" because they don't blow things up.
[+] 1 user Likes TheMoralist's post
11-08-2016, 08:40 PM
Can't criticize Islam among liberals?
(11-08-2016 08:16 PM)TheMoralist Wrote:  Or even among the moderate Muslims, they believe homosexuality is punishable by death!

I thought that they liked some little boy ass. Hypocrites they are.
11-08-2016, 08:55 PM
(11-08-2016 08:40 PM)KUSA Wrote:  
(11-08-2016 08:16 PM)TheMoralist Wrote:  Or even among the moderate Muslims, they believe homosexuality is punishable by death!

I thought that they liked some little boy ass. Hypocrites they are.

Yeah, and then punish them with death afterward. @_@
11-08-2016, 09:51 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2016 10:04 PM by cactus.)
Progressive PC talk is dumb. Islam is dumb, and all muslims are dumb, especially the brown ones with tablecloth hats. Laugh out load
Your "liberal" friends need to lighten up and learn that Islam is a term that's used to describe sets of beliefs ONLY, and that the people who continue to hold those morally-inconsistent beliefs out of fear or ignorance deserve so much better.

I've heard someone say that instead of dropping bombs into the war-torn middle east, we should airdrop a bunch of rolled weed and existentialist philosophers. Sounds like a party to me. I'm in. Smokin

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 3 users Like cactus's post
11-08-2016, 09:59 PM
[Image: BunpAZICAAAGzXd.jpg]

And I consider myself quite liberal.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
11-08-2016, 10:22 PM
Me too. Not going to tolerate murderous oppressive bastiges, anywhere.
11-08-2016, 11:17 PM
I keep hearing this meme repeated, that "liberals" don't like anyone to criticize Islam. What bullshit.

I'm a liberal, and I criticize Islam the same as any religion. All religions are gullibility and brainwashing, and all have a history of making some people behave better and more humanely, while causing others to behave very dangerously.

However, when I see actual bigotry being expressed toward Muslims, or outright wrong statements about what Muslims think (or pretense that they all think like the extremists and/or those who were raised in the culture of fucked-up countries), especially for the purpose of suggesting that Muslims should be treated badly in some way or are not a part of our society, I will object.

Part of my liberalism is the fierce belief that we must all be free to believe whatever stupid shit we want, so long as we do not harm others. I have known many, many Muslims, and found all the ones I have known (in this not-quite-as-fucked-up country called the USA) to be overwhelmingly a group of kind, thoughtful people. I have also met a couple of Imams who make my skin crawl... but the same applies to Christians in every respect. [Edit to Add: I would point out that Christianity has a VERY recent shift toward more-liberal thinking, and that sodomy was only legalized in the United States in 2004, requiring a Supreme Court decision to do so, over the objections of Christian moralists in congress and in pulpits everywhere.]

And yet no one points to the fucked up views of extremist Christians (of whom we have many, here in the USA, from homophobic evangelicals to the Klan's "Church of Jesus Christ, Christian" denomination) and tries to suggest that all Christians should be suspect, or somehow excluded from society, because of their psychotic brethren.

That is how liberals see Islam and the Muslims who practice it, and why we attack those who step over the line from criticism into bigotry. Yes, there are a few extremists on the liberal side who call anything bigotry, and they annoy me as much as anyone else. But the meme that says we attack anyone who criticizes Islam is utter bullshit, designed only to silence those who are trying ensure we treat our fellow human beings humanely, with respect and dignity, even if they have stupid religious beliefs. That protects everyone who is of the "wrong belief", including us atheists (in the eyes of the majority theists around us).

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 9 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post