Can't follow this line of thinking

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2013, 09:27 AM
Can't follow this line of thinking
Last night I went out to eat with a group of breast cancer survivors. One of the wait staff asked if we were coworkers and she was told that we are a group as noted.

She went on to say how she lost her grandmother to breast cancer and that no one in the family even knew she had it. Her grandmother went to treatments, etc. with only the grandfather and neither told anyone else as they didn't want to trouble them. This woman wanted her decisions to be hers and she made her choices.

One of the women in our group said this: People like that do US such a disservice by not allowing us to pray for them.

WTAF?!?! Blink

How do you even string those words/thoughts together? I have puzzled over this since last night. Can anyone explain this concept to me?

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
18-12-2013, 09:31 AM
RE: Can't follow this line of thinking
Sorry Anj - I got nothing. WTAF just about describes it. Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 3 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
18-12-2013, 09:36 AM
Woooow.

<redacted for slight overreaction>

From the religious people I know and grew up with, there's this incredible amount of pride they take in praying for someone. Its something that, even when I was a Christian, I never understood.

I take immense joy in stopping to help someone jump their car, not just having a personal thought of "Gee, I sure hope someone else does it."
18-12-2013, 09:46 AM
Indoctrination and a self inflated ego.

Christians are being taught that they are super powerful when it comes to prayer, and it should be the first line of defense... because, you know... God needs us and our opinions and such.

It's a shame that Christians aren't being taught what prayer actually is and how to actually help people. "Praying" for someone without any actions is not helpful... and it's a disgrace to Christianity. Your prayers should be for that person in regards to how you can help them and to further understand them and their situation. Instead, Christians just do the "God please help/heal so-and-so. Amen. Done."

I can't stand it. It's so shallow and ridiculous. Moreover, they take the credit for "praying" for someone... like they actually did something... like God needed their opinions to help someone.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
18-12-2013, 09:55 AM
Still seems to me that any response should have been along the lines of I am sorry for your loss.

To imply that someone was cheated out of a prayer opportunity is just so wrong.

I felt bad for the server.

I must have been raised in Catholic Lite where prayers were recited from memory exactly as written. The 'free-style' prayer I encountered when in SC and since is a whole new concept for me. It just doesn't compute.

[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
18-12-2013, 10:01 AM
That's... peculiar

The "disservice" part is just a douchebag's move, the service of a prayer (from her perspective I imagine) should be to the person who suffers the disease, not the one mumbling the spe...prayer

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
18-12-2013, 11:01 AM
Absolutely ridiculous. WTAF is right.
I think the perspective she was expressing came from the belief that god blesses a christian when that christian sacrifices (prays for, donates money, spends time helping) for another person.
It really makes everything they do for others extremely insincere and selfish (despite the fact that they're trying so hard to be selfless).
My boyfriend and I make a little game out of figuring out who is "religious nice" vs genuinely nice.

I've really noticed that after my deconversion, I became a MUCH more compassionate person, because I started caring about people simply because they are my fellow human beings instead of because a man in the sky told me he'd "bless" me if I was.

I actually find it hard to believe that someone would say something SO self-centered... especially since she's BEEN THROUGH all the pain and horror of having breast cancer and still lacks true empathy for others.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-12-2013, 11:15 AM
(18-12-2013 09:27 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Can't follow this line of thinking

Figured it out. The following markup should explain it.

PS: What does the A stand for?
18-12-2013, 11:16 AM
(18-12-2013 09:46 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Indoctrination and a self inflated ego.

I'm beginning to really like the new Kingsy.

Thumbsup

Regarding the OP... KidC got it... 'WTAF' covers it.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
18-12-2013, 11:18 AM
(18-12-2013 11:15 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  

Figured it out. The following markup should explain it.

PS: What does the A stand for?
Actual