Can't sleep, how's it done?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2011, 12:56 AM
Can't sleep, how's it done?
So I can't sleep, haven't been very good at it recently. My mind just won't fuck off no matter how much I try so I lay there awake until I'm literally too tired to think. I used to have this problem when I was younger which was really what started me smoking the marijuana. I don't smoke anymore nor do I have any interest in smoking it again, but that leaves me with a problem.

SLEEP

How does one accomplish this? How do you fine thinkers put your minds to rest at night. Let sleep wash over you, and have your brains take a hammock?

I can't figure anything out. Right now I'm ancy and have been looking online for free games to play that are awesome and don't require a mouse to play. I already had sex so that didn't work. And television is the pits. I can't read due to illiteracy or lack of light, too tired to tell which.

HELP ME PLEASE

C'mon you know you want to.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
11-12-2011, 01:13 AM
RE: Can't sleep, how's it done?
My "Get to Sleep" method is to start at the top of the list and check off each one until something eventually works.

Masturbate
Smoke weed
Drink NyQuil
Take Benadryl
Masturbate again if necessary
Give up on sleeping and play video games until the sun comes up
Go get McDonalds breakfast since you're already up this early
Pass out on greasy eggy goodness

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
[+] 12 users Like Buddy Christ's post
11-12-2011, 01:29 AM
Damn most of those won't work for me. I guess I'll probably be pulling an all nighter tonight. So sad. Brain is stupid. Me hate it. I'll bet religious people sleep like little idiot babies. All comfy in their knowledge that big sky daddy will make it all better.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
11-12-2011, 02:58 AM
Doctor observer prescribes one before bedtime, two on very stressy days...

[Image: bier_chimay-bleue_detail.png&wid...constrain=]
Smile

No, no shit...

Although this CAN help. It should be a temporary measure since you can get seriously addicted. This counts for any drug (especially one that's socially accepted).

"Sleeping hygiene" is what’s important. And for that matter, It’s what make tasty little idiot babies sleep so well.
Every evening, around the same time, mummy carries them around. They get their bottle, a diaper change, some cuddles, tucked inn, a song or cute story. And then they doze off.

I guess you should find someone nice to do such things for you.

Or, If that's to expensive...
Plan your sleep... (say: I want to be in bed by 11)
Around 10 you switch off that action film (face it, about 99% of that film you have seen before on another one) or save your shoot-em-up and start watching a really boring chick-flick or reading Christian articles. This bores you in about half an hour, so you switch of the TV or computer and start watching the fish-tank. It’s important to slowly shut your brain down from stimuli. Brains cant be shut down by putting them in 3 gear and release the clutch you know.
Then, you start following a pre thought up Ritual. Something like: Brush teeth, undress, walk around naked scaring elderly neighbouring lady. Watch planet Jupiter through window. Go to bed. Turn on correct sleeping side and calmly sooth yourself by thinking about how awesome you are.

If you keep this same procedure up every evening, I can almost guarantee you progress on your sleep within a week or so.

Like it or not: Humans are creatures of habit.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 7 users Like Observer's post
11-12-2011, 03:09 AM
You could try reading the Bible lol... seriously a boring boring book, especially slogging through the OT books. It used to put me right to sleep after a couple of chapters max, no joke.

But The_observer's suggestion about watching a dull movie would work too.

Sometimes I put on Let's Play videos of people playing video games on YouTube.

I also have this hour-long audio of recorded rain-storm sounds, and it's very calming and relaxing. That helps me sleep too.

And yeah, there is the very temporary sleep-aid, alcohol- don't get addicted. Same with Benedryl (sp?), or other sleep-aids.

I don't usually have trouble sleeping, but when I do, these things help.

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
11-12-2011, 03:27 AM
Apart from all that other stuff I mentioned, maybe you could try a beloved show or movie that you know by heart. A new movie will keep you interested and awake, so try something you already know.

I personally can't get to sleep anymore without an episode of either South Park, Family Guy, or Scrubs playing. Though I hear having the tv on while sleeping messes with your melatonin levels and your sleep cycle... but whatever! Can't live life in a protective bubble.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
11-12-2011, 04:38 AM
(11-12-2011 03:27 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Apart from all that other stuff I mentioned, maybe you could try a beloved show or movie that you know by heart.
A book you've already read helps too, but avoid reading in bed. Stimuli shut-down, remember...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
11-12-2011, 09:11 AM
I think sleep is all about letting go....if you try to sleep it will become impossible because you need to let your mind and body go.

Worrying about shit and certain dietary things (sugar, caffeine etc) can make a small difference.

Ive been meditating for a while though so rarely cannot sleep but If I ever do struggle then I imagine im floating in warm water with warm rain dropping around me. As I float I let my body relax as I focus on my breathing and the experience and nothing else.

Whilst listening to this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pSyYhRYeIM

....on repeat Big Grin

You're never going to say the things you want to say.
The things you want to change will usually stay that way
The promises you break outweigh the ones you keep.
Paint upon the wall for the hundredth time.

Jesus Jones
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
11-12-2011, 09:16 AM
(11-12-2011 09:11 AM)bemore Wrote:  Whilst listening to this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pSyYhRYeIM

....on repeat Big Grin
Curses...
I was almost asleep but then I needed to pee Smile

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
11-12-2011, 09:20 AM
When I was a kid, I was taught that when you can't sleep it's because Satan wants to keep you awake. So the best defense is to read the Bible because Satan would rather let you fall asleep than read God's Word.
I suggest you start with the book of Numbers.

Or,
Follow the Observer's advice. I suffer from major insomnia, and his "sleeping hygiene" plan really does work. However...I'm also a lazy SOB, so I turn to chemical solutions more than I follow the plan (which is why I like BC's list!). Cannabis is a favorite, but since you've ruled that out, Melatonin helps me big time (but if I take it without Cannabis, I can have really VIVID dreams. Not nightmares, but disturbing nonetheless). My doctor doesn't want to prescribe sleeping pills because...well, honestly because I can get a bit suicidal...so she suggested Unisom, which is an OTC drug.

As for me, I like BC's suggestion of a bag of Sausage Egg McMuffins, so I'm out for a bit!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Confusing sleep with being dead. Nappa 2 608 10-01-2013 01:44 AM
Last Post: Birdguy1979
  The Sleep Thread cufflink 30 1,466 18-10-2012 03:56 PM
Last Post: FZUMedia