Can the speed of light (299,792,458 m/s) accelerate?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-02-2015, 09:45 PM (This post was last modified: 19-02-2015 09:57 PM by smileXsmileXsmile.)
Can the speed of light (299,792,458 m/s) accelerate?
A satellite can accelerate its speed by being slingshotted by the mass of jupiter, while jupiter's in motion. I can't figure out why light can't be slingshotted by a blackhole in motion and end up going faster than 299,792,458 m/s

I've been searching youtube and websites for an hour and can't understand it. Can someone explain.....or is it actually possible?

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-02-2015, 10:28 PM
RE: Can the speed of light (299,792,458 m/s) accelerate?
(19-02-2015 09:45 PM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  A satellite can accelerate its speed by being slingshotted by the mass of jupiter, while jupiter's in motion. I can't figure out why light can't be slingshotted by a blackhole in motion and end up going faster than 299,792,458 m/s

I've been searching youtube and websites for an hour and can't understand it. Can someone explain.....or is it actually possible?

I suspect it would be pulled into such a black hole, and the slingshot effect could not occur?

The first thing that would happen to light, or anything else, is that once it hits the event horizon it would be stretched and thinned; deflated. It would become compressed/compacted perhaps into a single shrunken point as it enters a black hole.

I don't know why, but I envision the interior of a black hole as being somewhat like a vortex of some type, whereas things within it get sort of swirled into speeds exceeding light. I see this in my head and I don't know why. Likely crazy.

Imagine it as though it was the earth being compressed into something the size of an atom, and no light could escape it so that it appears like an absolute void of nothingness.

cjlr would know more than me.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
19-02-2015, 10:41 PM (This post was last modified: 20-02-2015 12:02 AM by smileXsmileXsmile.)
(19-02-2015 10:28 PM)Free Wrote:  
(19-02-2015 09:45 PM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  A satellite can accelerate its speed by being slingshotted by the mass of jupiter, while jupiter's in motion. I can't figure out why light can't be slingshotted by a blackhole in motion and end up going faster than 299,792,458 m/s

I suspect it would be pulled into such a black hole, and the slingshot effect could not occur?

The first thing that would happen to light, or anything else, is that once it hits the event horizon it would be stretched and thinned; deflated. It would become compressed/compacted perhaps into a single shrunken point as it enters a black hole.

I don't know why, but I envision the interior of a black hole as being somewhat like a vortex of some type, whereas things within it get sort of swirled into speeds exceeding light. I see this in my head and I don't know why. Likely crazy.

Imagine it as though it was the earth being compressed into something the size of an atom, and no light could escape it so that it appears like an absolute void of nothingness.

cjlr would know more than me.

that's not what i meant. Please reread my post. The light would not cross the event horizon, just like the satellite doesn't crash into jupiter. The light would pass by the black hole just like the satellite passes by jupiter. see this video to see what I'm talking about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3F88w3LkiI then this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJmD_1kSa3I or this if you still don't understand https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPLDAyICq2Y it's called "gravitational assist"

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
19-02-2015, 10:41 PM
Under relativity the speed of light is constant in all reference frames. If you were travelling "at the speed of light" light would still travel at the speed of light in all directions around you.

The problem is time. Time and distance are distorted by speed. It's a surprising finding and takes a lot to get your head around. From the perspective of a photon of light the universe has zero length and it takes zero time to make its journey. It's seriously mind-bending stuff. I think the best coverage you'll find on it is the viascience Relativity playlist on youtube.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 3 users Like Hafnof's post
19-02-2015, 11:32 PM
I really don't get the whole slingshotting thing......

But wouldn't there have to be something faster than light?... Its been proven that light cannot escape a black hole, so could it be fair to assume that the force that a Black Hole exerts on light is accelerating light into itself at a velocity far higher than the speed of light?....
19-02-2015, 11:55 PM
(19-02-2015 11:32 PM)ResistenceXD0001 Wrote:  I really don't get the whole slingshotting thing......

Watch this video and get back to me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3F88w3LkiI the green line is velocity (speed or acceleration) and the red dot is the satellite (just like from my example in my original post)

20-02-2015, 12:15 AM
(19-02-2015 11:55 PM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  
(19-02-2015 11:32 PM)ResistenceXD0001 Wrote:  I really don't get the whole slingshotting thing......

Watch this video and get back to me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3F88w3LkiI the green line is velocity (speed or acceleration) and the red dot is the satellite (just like from my example in my original post)

So basically, and correct me if im wrong, Gravity grabs an incoming interstellar body (like an invisible rope), and hurls the body around part of its orbit, to give it a little extra push?
[+] 1 user Likes ResistenceXD0001's post
20-02-2015, 01:07 AM
At work.

A gravity assist steals some of the larger bodies orbital momentum.

So ..... techically.... if you do it enough times you would be able to steal ALL of an objects momentum... hence it might stop and 'fall' into what ever it in turn is orbiting.

I believe one can also use the Sun's momentum through space as well..... though not sure of how close one needs to be to get what benefit.
20-02-2015, 01:18 AM

I'm not physicistcian, but I'd guess that light can't be slingshot to reach a greater velocity as it is already at the theoretical maximum velocity achievable.

Can we get an order of CJLR to table 3?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
20-02-2015, 02:15 AM
At work.

I think the other issue is that (Looking forwards to correction) but photons have no mass for gravity to directly work on.

It is the actuall distortion of space/time itself which is bending the path of the photon. (Remember teh 'rubber sheet' image?).

Much cheers to all.