Can the speed of light (299,792,458 m/s) accelerate?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-02-2015, 02:18 AM
RE: Can the speed of light (299,792,458 m/s) accelerate?
Light travels at the maximum possible velocity in the universe. This velocity is also independent of the frame of reference. If you were a photon, you'd see yourself moving away from yourself at the speed of light. (A simplistic abstraction; I just want to illustrate a point)

Velocity is a vector: it has direction and magnitude. When an object moves in two dimensions, its velocity has two components, and the "slingshot" maneuver only serves to increase the magnitude of the vector velocity. However, light's velocity has a constant magnitude. While it will indeed curve around an object with sufficient mass, and its velocity will have two components, the magnitude of the vector will remain the same. In other words, the photons will keep moving at the exact same velocity. This is a fundamental part of Einstein's theory of General Relativity.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes One Above All's post
20-02-2015, 06:12 AM
I'll catch heat for this - but, shit......

It was thought by the best scientific minds for many years that there was a "sound barrier" that would prevent any mass from accelerating past the speed of sound within the atmosphere. They even had the math to prove it.

Were they morons?

Nope..

It just hadn't been done yet.

I suspect the speed of light might be the same. Don't bother showing me the math, I've seen it and YES it makes sense.

Now.............. Later?????

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
20-02-2015, 06:22 AM
(20-02-2015 06:12 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I'll catch heat for this - but, shit......

It was thought by the best scientific minds for many years that there was a "sound barrier" that would prevent any mass from accelerating past the speed of sound within the atmosphere. They even had the math to prove it.

Were they morons?

Nope..

I suspect the speed of light might be the same. Don't bother showing me the math, I've seen it and YES it makes sense.

Well, given that we've tried increasing the velocity of light with every means available to us, and we still haven't done it, as well as the math and the fact that we know more about the universe now than they did then, not to mention that the theory of General Relativity - based on the fact that the velocity of light is invariant - produces results in line with the velocity of light being a universal constant, I think it's safe to assume we've got this one.
Besides, being wrong about one thing doesn't mean they're wrong about this other (completely different) thing and vice-versa. By that logic, we shouldn't trust scientists on anything, solely on the basis that they're human, and all humans make mistakes.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
20-02-2015, 06:23 AM (This post was last modified: 20-02-2015 06:26 AM by Hafnof.)
(20-02-2015 06:12 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  It was thought by the best scientific minds for many years that there was a "sound barrier" that would prevent any mass from accelerating past the speed of sound within the atmosphere. They even had the math to prove it.

Citation needed. Bullwhips have broken the sound barrier since ancient times and firearms produced supersonic projectiles since the 19th century, so when exactly and who exactly thought it was impossible for an object to exceed the speed of sound?

As for the speed of light it isn't about the maths. Basically the whole of relativity is predicated on this speed limit for the universe, and relativity has been experimentally confirmed countless times now. It is possible relativity is wrong or incomplete but it isn't like trying to overcome an engineering problem as breaking the speed of sound was. Until new physics is discovered the light barrier will be unbreachable - that is the act of breaching the light barrier would bring about a new era of fundamental physics.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
20-02-2015, 06:24 AM
(20-02-2015 06:23 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  
(20-02-2015 06:12 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  It was thought by the best scientific minds for many years that there was a "sound barrier" that would prevent any mass from accelerating past the speed of sound within the atmosphere. They even had the math to prove it.

Citation needed. Bullwhips have broken the sound barrier since ancient times and firearms produced supersonic projectiles since the 19th century, so when exactly and who exactly thought it was impossible for an object to exceed the speed of sound?

Assuming it to be true, my guess is cavemen back in 40,000 BCE. Hence my argument that we know more than them.

20-02-2015, 07:44 AM
(20-02-2015 06:23 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_barrier

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
20-02-2015, 08:48 AM
Where does that page say that scientists thought it impossible for any to accelerate any mass past the speed of sound within the atmosphere?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
20-02-2015, 09:54 AM
(20-02-2015 06:12 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I'll catch heat for this - but, shit......

Were they morons?

Nope..

I think you're underestimating just how fast the speed of light is. And how much energy would be required in order to accelerate past it.

The faster an object moves, the more mass it has. The more mass it has, the more energy it requires in order to continue accelerating. At the speed of light, mass becomes infinite, meaning you would require an infinite amount of energy in order to accelerate further.

There is not enough energy in the universe to accelerate anything beyond the light barrier.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-02-2015, 10:55 AM
(20-02-2015 08:48 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Where does that page say that scientists thought it impossible for any to accelerate any mass past the speed of sound within the atmosphere?

It doesn't.... That's why I put it there....

It's called a counter, to your sidetracking with a minor point.

We KNOW they were wrong - so what's the point of arguing about who was wrong, when???

Fun, huh??

Big Grin

20-02-2015, 11:00 AM
(20-02-2015 09:54 AM)Sam Wrote:  

Were they morons?

Nope..

I think you're underestimating just how fast the speed of light is. And how much energy would be required in order to accelerate past it.

The faster an object moves, the more mass it has. The more mass it has, the more energy it requires in order to continue accelerating. At the speed of light, mass becomes infinite, meaning you would require an infinite amount of energy in order to accelerate further.

There is not enough energy in the universe to accelerate anything beyond the light barrier.

We haven't done it, so it can't be done????

hmmmmmm..

Every generation believes it's at the pinnacle of knowledge, and there's nothing more for us to learn.

I wouldn't be too sure about that.

My suspicion is that we're operating under some facts, and a whole lot of fallacies.....

Just like everybody before us.

I could be wrong.

Could you??