Can the speed of light (299,792,458 m/s) accelerate?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-02-2015, 11:17 AM
RE: Can the speed of light (299,792,458 m/s) accelerate?
(20-02-2015 11:00 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(20-02-2015 09:54 AM)Sam Wrote:  I think you're underestimating just how fast the speed of light is. And how much energy would be required in order to accelerate past it.

The faster an object moves, the more mass it has. The more mass it has, the more energy it requires in order to continue accelerating. At the speed of light, mass becomes infinite, meaning you would require an infinite amount of energy in order to accelerate further.

There is not enough energy in the universe to accelerate anything beyond the light barrier.

We haven't done it, so it can't be done????

hmmmmmm..

Every generation believes it's at the pinnacle of knowledge, and there's nothing more for us to learn.

I wouldn't be too sure about that.

My suspicion is that we're operating under some facts, and a whole lot of fallacies.....

Just like everybody before us.

I could be wrong.

Could you??

No, its not just because we haven't done it. The laws of physics prevent it...

In order to break the light barrier, you would need infinite energy. The universe's energy is not infinite.

You could take the combined energy of every star in the universe, and you still wouldn't break light speed.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-02-2015, 11:50 AM
The speed of light is the speed of light. It cannot exceed itself. Nor can we exceed it.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
20-02-2015, 11:54 AM
So what would happen in this situation:
Let's say the red dot is a ray of light that starts at the speed of light, why wouldn't it follow this model (assuming the earth is a black hole) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3F88w3LkiI

why can't the ray of light be accelerated if it ran into this type of situation?

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
20-02-2015, 12:39 PM
(19-02-2015 11:32 PM)ResistenceXD0001 Wrote:  I really don't get the whole slingshotting thing......

But wouldn't there have to be something faster than light?... Its been proven that light cannot escape a black hole, so could it be fair to assume that the force that a Black Hole exerts on light is accelerating light into itself at a velocity far higher than the speed of light?....

Gravitational fields propagate at the speed of light... As light approaches a black hole, its direction will be pulled and changed. If it approaches the black hole just outside the event horizon, it will loop around the black hole. The black hole will affect the frequency of the light along its journey, but never its speed. If the light crosses the event horizon, it is simply close enough that instead of looping the hole and escaping, it will loop it again and again until it reaches the center.

The event horizon is just a point of distance from the black hole itself. Beyond that point, it doesn't mean that something has exceeded light speed, it is simply bending the light more than would allow escape.
20-02-2015, 12:46 PM
(20-02-2015 11:54 AM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  So what would happen in this situation:
Let's say the red dot is a ray of light that starts at the speed of light, why wouldn't it follow this model (assuming the earth is a black hole) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3F88w3LkiI

why can't the ray of light be accelerated if it ran into this type of situation?

I believe gravity fields can only affect the wavelength of light.

To use a large body for accelerating another object, both would need to have mass. As a ship loops around a black hole, it uses the powerful gravitational field to leech off some of the black hole's momentum, which is only possible because the ship also has mass and a gravity field; light doesn't have mass, so it won't pull on and leech from the black hole.
20-02-2015, 01:11 PM
(20-02-2015 11:54 AM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  So what would happen in this situation:

Because the laws of physics don't allow it. I've already explained this to you, as have others. The velocity of light is invariant, having the exact same value in all reference frames. The theory of General Relativity stands on that fact, and it has produced results that are in line with said fact.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
20-02-2015, 01:16 PM
(20-02-2015 10:55 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(20-02-2015 08:48 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Where does that page say that scientists thought it impossible for any to accelerate any mass past the speed of sound within the atmosphere?

It doesn't.... That's why I put it there....

It's called a counter, to your sidetracking with a minor point.

We KNOW they were wrong - so what's the point of arguing about who was wrong, when???

Fun, huh??

Big Grin

You haven't demonstrated any scientist believed what you claimed. Asserting it doesn't make it true, and "they were wrong about this, so they must be/probably are/may be wrong about that" is a fallacy.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
[+] 2 users Like One Above All's post
20-02-2015, 01:23 PM (This post was last modified: 20-02-2015 01:30 PM by smileXsmileXsmile.)
(20-02-2015 12:46 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  

I believe gravity fields can only affect the wavelength of light.

To use a large body for accelerating another object, both would need to have mass. As a ship loops around a black hole, it uses the powerful gravitational field to leech off some of the black hole's momentum, which is only possible because the ship also has mass and a gravity field; light doesn't have mass, so it won't pull on and leech from the black hole.

hmmm I thought light does have some mass. You sure it doesn't?
*EDIT* Upon research, i guess it doesn't. THAT explains it. other people are just rambling about off topic stuff that doesn't relate to my question or they don't validate/explain their claims. Grrr frustrating Tongue Thank you!

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
20-02-2015, 01:25 PM
(20-02-2015 01:11 PM)One Above All Wrote:  

Because the laws of physics don't allow it. I've already explained this to you, as have others. The velocity of light is invariant, having the exact same value in all reference frames. The theory of General Relativity stands on that fact, and it has produced results that are in line with said fact.

why is the velocity of light invariant? Can you explain why? or is it because we have yet to observe it, like many other things?

20-02-2015, 01:25 PM (This post was last modified: 20-02-2015 01:29 PM by One Above All.)
(20-02-2015 01:23 PM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  
(20-02-2015 12:46 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  I believe gravity fields can only affect the wavelength of light.

hmmm I thought light does have some mass. You sure it doesn't?

Photons have no rest mass. That's why they never stop moving and why they travel at the fastest possible velocity.
EDIT: Fixed an incorrect statement.