Can the study of scripture be done in a scientific way?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2017, 09:41 PM
RE: Can the study of scripture be done in a scientific way?
(01-03-2017 07:21 PM)hecrow55 Wrote:  Can the study of scripture be done in a scientific way?

Probably not, but it can be investigated in a "judicial" way, just as though it were a police investigation.

When you begin to make comparisons of where Jesus was, what he said, who he was with when he said it, to whom he said whatever etc, between the gospels you can see numerous discrepancies.

In a court of law, the gospels would never stand up to scrutiny.

The enemy numbered six hundred - including women and children - and we abolished them utterly, leaving not even a baby alive to cry for its dead mother. This is incomparably the greatest victory that was ever achieved by the Christian soldiers of the United States. -- Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Mircea's post
03-03-2017, 12:51 AM
There is one gospel account: Mark. Written decades after the supposed events, by someone who was likely not even alive at the time. Certainly no evidence it's an eye witness. Contains a forged ending. Dismissed as hearsay, if not outright fiction.

Matthew and Luke are just later retellings, based on the writing of Mark. Dismissed.

John is a much later reboot, producing an entirely different character. Dismissed.

You've ignored all my posts so far, so I'm just writing for the benefit of those following at home.

You've admitted the OT contains a lot of complete garbage that didn't happen. This is the majority of your book. Trying to redeem some semblance of truth through accounts of some leper molester is rather a fruitless endeavor.

And who cares, ultimately? Only the people who already believe. Most people I've talked to who have left Christianity have seen it for the immoral scam that it is, and wouldn't rejoin it even if there was any truth. This is all just a way of making yourself feel less stupid about your arbitrary beliefs based on an arbitrary book.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Robvalue's post
03-03-2017, 02:05 AM
(02-03-2017 05:49 PM)hecrow55 Wrote:  To properly present the evidence, I will be focusing on one particular statement of Jesus that He is the Prophet of whom Moses wrote of. Here is a synopsis of what it will be about.

Moses didn't exist. Therefore the rest of your post is bunk.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
03-03-2017, 05:51 AM
The red letters are definitely the most important. The rest bears witness to their validity.
03-03-2017, 05:53 AM
(02-03-2017 07:59 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(02-03-2017 05:49 PM)hecrow55 Wrote:  To properly present the evidence, I will be focusing on one particular statement of Jesus that He is the Prophet of whom Moses wrote of. Here is a synopsis of what it will be about.

"properly present evidence"??? What evidence???

As other posters have already told you:

YOU CANNOT USE THE BIBLE TO PROVE THE BIBLE.

Even worse, you don't even have the integrity to tell us which bible you are using!

Not only will you not give scientific evidence for your god, you won't even let us examine the texts that you do claim as evidence.

And moses was a composite figure, if not outright fictitious There is about as much actual evidence for moses as there is for King Arthur.

You are attempting, clumsily, to wrap your apologetics in science.

It. Will. Not. Work.

Your god is not real.
FBH
I use the King James Version
03-03-2017, 06:15 AM
(03-03-2017 05:53 AM)hecrow55 Wrote:  I use the King James Version

How charming. The bible of the Anglican church. The Church of England. The church found by King Henry VIII.

Your "divine" book was compiled and translated by a committee and altered, edited and revised to reflect the theology of a king, famous for murdering his wives.

Truly the inspired word of god. Drinking Beverage

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
03-03-2017, 06:24 AM
(03-03-2017 05:51 AM)hecrow55 Wrote:  The red letters are definitely the most important. The rest bears witness to their validity.

Bible proves bible circlejerk.

I see that biblical scholarship has been presented in this thread to you and you've ignored it. Now you're just wasting your time. Drinking Beverage

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
03-03-2017, 07:10 AM

You should use my version.
Much easier to read and everything in it was also inspired by god.
Each page is completely devoid of any letters or pictures. Blank in its complexity and yet contains everything known about a god.

Zero, zilch, nothing

Gods don't exist.
Enjoy your fantasy or better yet, come enjoy the real world with us. It's more wonderful that anything you'll find in a book of fiction.

I know it can be scary to let go of a serial killer who dwells in your imagination, but it's worth it to try.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
03-03-2017, 04:47 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2017 04:52 PM by hecrow55.)
(03-03-2017 06:15 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  

How charming. The bible of the Anglican church. The Church of England. The church found by King Henry VIII.

Your "divine" book was compiled and translated by a committee and altered, edited and revised to reflect the theology of a king, famous for murdering his wives.

Truly the inspired word of god. Drinking Beverage

Actually it was James the First that ordered the translation.
By the way, I don't study it as it is written, but seek that which is hidden.
I also check the Hebrew and Greek words for their meanings
03-03-2017, 04:49 PM
(03-03-2017 06:24 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(03-03-2017 05:51 AM)hecrow55 Wrote:  The red letters are definitely the most important. The rest bears witness to their validity.

Bible proves bible circlejerk.

I see that biblical scholarship has been presented in this thread to you and you've ignored it. Now you're just wasting your time. Drinking Beverage

LOL. Now you're sounding like some of the Christian clergy I've debated.