Can the study of scripture be done in a scientific way?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2017, 05:38 PM
RE: Can the study of scripture be done in a scientific way?
(03-03-2017 04:47 PM)hecrow55 Wrote:  By the way, I don't study it as it is written, but seek that which is hidden.
I also check the Hebrew and Greek words for their meanings

Translation: I pick whatever translation and interpretation best fits my presuppositions.

Do you believe that the god you believe in wants everybody to be "saved" and/or wants a relationship with everybody?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
03-03-2017, 06:19 PM
(03-03-2017 05:38 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(03-03-2017 04:47 PM)hecrow55 Wrote:  By the way, I don't study it as it is written, but seek that which is hidden.

Translation: I pick whatever translation and interpretation best fits my presuppositions.

Do you believe that the god you believe in wants everybody to be "saved" and/or wants a relationship with everybody?

I begin with only a desire to know what I don't know and go only where the evidence leads. No circular thinking involved.

Yes to your question
03-03-2017, 06:24 PM
(03-03-2017 06:19 PM)hecrow55 Wrote:  
(03-03-2017 05:38 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Translation: I pick whatever translation and interpretation best fits my presuppositions.

I begin with only a desire to know what I don't know and go only where the evidence leads. No circular thinking involved.

Yes to your question

No you don't. You have no expertise AT ALL in Biblical Studies.
You connect-the-dots, in your ignorance.
So ... you don't even check the Magisterium of your church ... just as I thought ... another "cafeteria Catholic".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
03-03-2017, 06:27 PM
(03-03-2017 06:24 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(03-03-2017 06:19 PM)hecrow55 Wrote:  I begin with only a desire to know what I don't know and go only where the evidence leads. No circular thinking involved.

Yes to your question

No you don't. You have no expertise AT ALL in Biblical Studies.
So ... you don't even check the Magisterium of your church ... just as I thought ... another "cafeteria Catholic".
I've never been a Catholic. I follow only Christ. He is the Magisterium with whom I check. He is the only one qualified to teach scripture.
03-03-2017, 06:28 PM
(03-03-2017 04:47 PM)hecrow55 Wrote:  
(03-03-2017 06:15 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  How charming. The bible of the Anglican church. The Church of England. The church found by King Henry VIII.

Your "divine" book was compiled and translated by a committee and altered, edited and revised to reflect the theology of a king, famous for murdering his wives.

Truly the inspired word of god. Drinking Beverage

Actually it was James the First that ordered the translation.
By the way, I don't study it as it is written, but seek that which is hidden.

And James was a PROTESTANT, Harold.

"The King James Version (KJV), also known as the Authorized Version (AV) or the King James Bible (KJB), is an English translation of the Christian Bible for the Church of England begun in 1604 and completed in 1611. The books of the King James Version include the 39 books of the Old Testament, an intertestamental section containing 14 books of the Apocrypha, and the 27 books of the New Testament."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_James_Version

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
03-03-2017, 06:30 PM
(03-03-2017 06:27 PM)hecrow55 Wrote:  
(03-03-2017 06:24 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  No you don't. You have no expertise AT ALL in Biblical Studies.
I've never been a Catholic. I follow only Christ. He is the Magisterium with whom I check. He is the only one qualified to teach scripture.

Oh. Sorry. I get you preachy idiots mixed up.
We're on the nut-a-week plan here. They must have sent two this week by mistake.

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
03-03-2017, 06:31 PM
(03-03-2017 06:28 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(03-03-2017 04:47 PM)hecrow55 Wrote:  Actually it was James the First that ordered the translation.
By the way, I don't study it as it is written, but seek that which is hidden.

And James was a PROTESTANT, Harold.

"The King James Version (KJV), also known as the Authorized Version (AV) or the King James Bible (KJB), is an English translation of the Christian Bible for the Church of England begun in 1604 and completed in 1611. The books of the King James Version include the 39 books of the Old Testament, an intertestamental section containing 14 books of the Apocrypha, and the 27 books of the New Testament."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_James_Version

It matters not which version one chooses. It takes digging into the earth to find the treasure.
03-03-2017, 06:33 PM
(03-03-2017 06:30 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(03-03-2017 06:27 PM)hecrow55 Wrote:  I've never been a Catholic. I follow only Christ. He is the Magisterium with whom I check. He is the only one qualified to teach scripture.

Oh. Sorry. I get you preachy idiots mixed up.
We're on the nut-a-week plan here. They must have sent two this week by mistake.

lol. Can I be a fig instead?
03-03-2017, 06:36 PM
hecrow55 Wrote:I've never been a Catholic. I follow only Christ. He is the Magisterium with whom I check. He is the only one qualified to teach scripture.
what does He teach?

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
03-03-2017, 06:41 PM
(03-03-2017 06:19 PM)hecrow55 Wrote:  
(03-03-2017 05:38 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Translation: I pick whatever translation and interpretation best fits my presuppositions.

Pretty much everything you've posted has been circular. You start with your belief and then look for things that support it.

Quote:Yes to your question

So he wants everybody to understand and decided that the best way to do that was to record text over hundreds of years, have it edited, copied, and translated repeatedly such that to fully understand it you have to learn ancient languages and cultures and spend hours searching through text to decide what is literal and what is metaphorical? If your god existed he'd be a laughing stock.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post