Can the study of scripture be done in a scientific way?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2017, 06:49 PM
RE: Can the study of scripture be done in a scientific way?
hecrow55 Wrote:I've never been a Catholic. I follow only Christ. He is the Magisterium with whom I check. He is the only one qualified to teach scripture.

So you just make up shit then.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
03-03-2017, 07:02 PM
Harry, let me get this straight.
Your imaginary friend (jesus) is the ONLY one qualified to teach scripture ?

I'm thinking you might need a qualified mental health professional or maybe a voodoo priest ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
03-03-2017, 07:16 PM
I think our buddy Harold is learning that the Peer Review process can be pretty rough.

Just look at all those people skeptically reviewing your methods to ensure there's no personal bias and/or poor methodology at work.

Welcome to science.

You asked for it! Laugh out load

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
03-03-2017, 09:05 PM
(03-03-2017 06:41 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(03-03-2017 06:19 PM)hecrow55 Wrote:  I begin with only a desire to know what I don't know and go only where the evidence leads. No circular thinking involved.

Pretty much everything you've posted has been circular. You start with your belief and then look for things that support it.

Quote:Yes to your question

So he wants everybody to understand and decided that the best way to do that was to record text over hundreds of years, have it edited, copied, and translated repeatedly such that to fully understand it you have to learn ancient languages and cultures and spend hours searching through text to decide what is literal and what is metaphorical? If your god existed he'd be a laughing stock.
Actually, it only takes becoming as a child.

When a child desires to know about something, s/he looks to the authoritative figure in their lives. They come with no presumptions or preconceived conceptions. Only the desire to learn.

As far as the circular thinking, what I post is what I have learned in this childlike manner and have been convicted by the figure who knows.
03-03-2017, 09:26 PM
1 Corinthians 13:11
"When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me."

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
03-03-2017, 09:33 PM
(03-03-2017 09:26 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  1 Corinthians 13:11
"When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me."

Yes, Paul did say that. He also said that he was a Pharisee and complained about how bad his sight was.

Luk 12:1 In the mean time, when there were gathered together an innumerable multitude of people, insomuch that they trode one upon another, he began to say unto his disciples first of all, Beware ye of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy.

Luk 6:39 And he spake a parable unto them, Can the blind lead the blind? shall they not both fall into the ditch?

Remember, I am a disciple of Jesus, not Paul. I don't like falling in ditches.
03-03-2017, 09:37 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2017 09:46 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(03-03-2017 09:33 PM)hecrow55 Wrote:  
(03-03-2017 09:26 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  1 Corinthians 13:11

Yes, Paul did say that. He also said that he was a Pharisee and complained about how bad his sight was.

Luk 12:1 In the mean time, when there were gathered together an innumerable multitude of people, insomuch that they trode one upon another, he began to say unto his disciples first of all, Beware ye of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy.

Luk 6:39 And he spake a parable unto them, Can the blind lead the blind? shall they not both fall into the ditch?

How idiotic.
You think Paul complaining about his sight was spiritual blindness, and you know MORE than he did ? You literally could make up ANYTHING about anything.

What's "scientific" about your dot connecting ?

03-03-2017, 10:18 PM
(03-03-2017 09:33 PM)hecrow55 Wrote:  Remember, I am a disciple of Jesus

Hold up.
You're a disciple of jesus ?

In that case, I'm going to be one of King Arthur's knights.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 4 users Like Rahn127's post
03-03-2017, 11:12 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2017 11:27 PM by hecrow55.)
(03-03-2017 09:37 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(03-03-2017 09:33 PM)hecrow55 Wrote:  Yes, Paul did say that. He also said that he was a Pharisee and complained about how bad his sight was.

How idiotic.
You think Paul complaining about his sight was spiritual blindness, and you know MORE than he did ? You literally could make up ANYTHING about anything.

What's "scientific" about your dot connecting ?
Evidence of Paul's hypocrisy:

Act 15:1 And certain men which came down from Judaea taught the brethren, and said, Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved.
Act 15:2 When therefore Paul and Barnabas had no small dissension and disputation with them, they determined that Paul and Barnabas, and certain other of them, should go up to Jerusalem unto the apostles and elders about this question.

Act 16:1 Then came he to Derbe and Lystra: and, behold, a certain disciple was there, named Timotheus, the son of a certain woman, which was a Jewess, and believed; but his father was a Greek: 2 Which was well reported of by the brethren that were at Lystra and Iconium. 3 Him would Paul have to go forth with him; and took and circumcised him because of the Jews which were in those quarters: for they knew all that his father was a Greek.

Paul disputed with others that circumcision wasn't necessary, then turned around and circumcised Timothy so that the Jews would accept him. That's the definition of hypocrisy which Jesus teaches here:

Act 23:6 But when Paul perceived that the one part were Sadducees, and the other Pharisees, he cried out in the council, Men and brethren, I am a Pharisee, the son of a Pharisee: of the hope and resurrection of the dead I am called in question.

Mat 23:2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: 3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not. 4 For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.

In obedience to Jesus, one should do as Paul says and not circumcise men rather than as he did.

This shows by example of how events recorded in the Bible can edify us to what Jesus is saying.

Did you know that Christians are all Pharisees by definition?

Act 23:8 For the Sadducees say that there is no resurrection, neither angel, nor spirit: but the Pharisees confess both.

The majority, if not all, Christians express belief in the resurrection, angels, and Spirit of God.

Therefore, all who share what they believe should be scrutinized. Even my own offerings made here.
03-03-2017, 11:56 PM
(03-03-2017 10:18 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  
(03-03-2017 09:33 PM)hecrow55 Wrote:  Remember, I am a disciple of Jesus

Hold up.
You're a disciple of jesus ?

In that case, I'm going to be one of King Arthur's knights.

Can I be a Jedi? Always wanted to force-choke annoying motherfuckers. Evil_monster

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]