Can the study of scripture be done in a scientific way?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2017, 09:29 AM
RE: Can the study of scripture be done in a scientific way?
(04-03-2017 08:14 AM)hecrow55 Wrote:  Jesus makes the claim that something that is credited to have been written by Moses is about Him. There is a significant passage that speaks directly to this claim.

Nope. Someone made a claim, and they were wrong.
Biblical Archaeology and Archaeology knows that Moses was a myth. He could not have written anything. Divination, sorcery and omen reading were forbidden in Hebrew culture.

Quote:Deu 18:15 The LORD thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken; 16 According to all that thou desiredst of the LORD thy God in Horeb in the day of the assembly, saying, Let me not hear again the voice of the LORD my God, neither let me see this great fire any more, that I die not. 17 And the LORD said unto me, They have well spoken that which they have spoken. 18 I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.

Question: Is Jesus this Promised Prophet?

Nope. Nothing but dot connecting.

Quote:General analysist of the available evidence:

It's general analySIS. I see you have little real education.

Quote:There are 4 books that contain the life and ministry of each man.
Moses: Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy
Jesus: Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John

Wrong. There were hundreds of gospels. 4 of them were accepted by non-unanimous consent into the canon. Clearly you never took Bible 101.

Quote:In the 1st and 3rd books on Moses there are genealogies while the 2nd and 4th books have none.
The 1st and 3rd books on Jesus also have genealogies, while the 2nd and 4th books contain none.

That's the way Hebrew literature was done. Genealogies were in many of them as family was important. Nothing but omen reading and dot-connecting.

Quote:The first three books of Moses are similar in content pertaining to giving of the law with notably differences in what is to be offered for sacrifice.
The first three books on Jesus are also similar in contents with some differences in the recorded teaching which were His offerings.

Laughably incorrect. Dot connecting. Nothing better than "Bible Code" garbage.

Quote:In the story in Exodus, Moses is taken care of by his mother till he is weaned (approximately 2 years), then sent to live with an Egyptian princess.
In the birth story of Matthew, wise men come seeking the child born to be King after seeing a star 2 years earlier.
Jesus is taken to Egypt at that time.

Never happened. Both are nothing but myths.
The Moses myth came from here :
http://www.ancient.eu/article/746/

Quote:In Exodus, the Israelites travel for 3 months, then camp at base of a mountain. It is on this mountain that it written that God descended upon and 1st spoke to the people.
Jesus delivers His 1st oration in Matthew on top of a mountain.

The Exodus never happened.

Quote:This should be sufficient evidence to support the hypothesis that Jesus is the Promised Prophet written about in Deuteronomy.

It's nothing but the disordered speculation of an uneducated fool who has NO Biblical education

Quote:Observation, which is what the preceding is, is acceptable empirical evidence. Empirical evidence is gathered to remove other possible claims. I’m not saying that the above proves the hypothesis, but that it supports it sufficiently.

Totally bogus. Not one Biblical scholar in the word buys this sort of nonsense childish infantile dot-connecting.

Quote:Offered in the Love of Christ,
Harold SmileSmileSmile

No. You have your little pet pile of crap, and you are a snake-oil salesman. You people are a dime-a-dozen. Go get an education.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
04-03-2017, 09:46 AM
hecrow55 Wrote:General analysist of the available evidence:
There are 4 books that contain the life and ministry of each man.
How is this evidence that Jesus was a Prophet Moses was talking about?
hecrow55 Wrote:In the 1st and 3rd books on Moses there are genealogies while the 2nd and 4th books have none.
The 1st and 3rd books on Jesus also have genealogies, while the 2nd and 4th books contain none.

You still didn't answer my question: what does He(Christ) teach you?

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
04-03-2017, 09:54 AM
!!!!TO HECROW55!!!!

Let's assume that He is that Prophet?
So what? why do I even need to know this?
I live my life perfectly fine without this knowledge.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
[+] 1 user Likes Alla's post
04-03-2017, 11:04 AM
(04-03-2017 06:59 AM)hecrow55 Wrote:  
(04-03-2017 06:33 AM)unfogged Wrote:  That explains a lot. Children are very susceptible to accepting magical answers and fallacious reasoning because they haven't developed critical thinking skills. Perhaps if you tried thinking like an adult you will see that these "answers" you have are not answers at all.

For the most part, a child sees its strongest parental figure as the authoritative person on any subject. But once anything this figure teaches is revealed to be false to the child, the veil of that figure being perfect is forever removed.

That is why I ask if anything attributed to Jesus can be proven to be a lie (falsified)? As of yet, I have found or have been presented with anything that proves His words to be a lie. Thus, the aurora of perfection remains and will remain until there is sufficient evidence, not opinion, to the contrary.

Argument from ignorance... again.

You can ignore me, but my objections still stand.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-03-2017, 02:33 PM
(04-03-2017 08:14 AM)hecrow55 Wrote:  The 1st and 3rd books on Jesus also have genealogies, while the 2nd and 4th books contain none.

Ignoring the fact there were many other gospels as Bucky already pointed out... if it was important for books 1 & 3 to have genealogies why are they normally ordered Matthew/Mark/Luke/John but were written Mark/Matthew/Luke/John? Whoops...

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
04-03-2017, 03:23 PM
(04-03-2017 09:05 AM)abaris Wrote:  OP, how about reading the epic of Gilgamesh at some point.

There's really no point in arguing with your circular argument until you have yourself familiarised with literature from the same region.

I have never read Gilgamesh entirely, but I know of the similarities in the stories. It is evidence that what I posted earlier that the origins of many, if not all, of the religions have are the same, namely Sumerian. These tales where adapted and modified to fit the political climate and society in each distinctive area.
04-03-2017, 03:29 PM
(04-03-2017 02:33 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(04-03-2017 08:14 AM)hecrow55 Wrote:  The 1st and 3rd books on Jesus also have genealogies, while the 2nd and 4th books contain none.

Ignoring the fact there were many other gospels as Bucky already pointed out... if it was important for books 1 & 3 to have genealogies why are they normally ordered Matthew/Mark/Luke/John but were written Mark/Matthew/Luke/John? Whoops...

Joh 15:1 I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. 2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.

Every great work of literature has an editor. Which gospels were chosen and what order they were placed in that matches so closely to what was written concerning Moses is evidence of guidance in the matter. The apocrypha books are those which bore no fruit, thus removed by the husbandman (editor) as Jesus predicted.

Offered in the Love of Christ,
Harold Smile Smile Smile
04-03-2017, 03:55 PM
(04-03-2017 03:23 PM)hecrow55 Wrote:  I have never read Gilgamesh entirely, but I know of the similarities in the stories. It is evidence that what I posted earlier that the origins of many, if not all, of the religions have are the same, namely Sumerian. These tales where adapted and modified to fit the political climate and society in each distinctive area.

And since you're arguing for the bible being true, far as I see it, do you consider the Gilgamesh epic to be true also? Why so?
04-03-2017, 04:08 PM
(04-03-2017 09:46 AM)Alla Wrote:  
hecrow55 Wrote:General analysist of the available evidence:
There are 4 books that contain the life and ministry of each man.
hecrow55 Wrote:In the 1st and 3rd books on Moses there are genealogies while the 2nd and 4th books have none.

You still didn't answer my question: what does He(Christ) teach you?

If you read the post, then you have seen a very small portion of what Jesus has taught me. There is much more concerning this matter I will share, all of which I was taught by Him. Maybe it would interest you in knowing how He taught me this.

I wasn't studying scripture at the time. In fact, I was going to wash clothes. As I walked along the sidewalk towards the laundry mat, I spotted a penny on the ground. I bent down and picked it up and said, 'Thank you Lord.' Just something I do every time I find a penny. It has to do with this parable:

Mat 20:2 And when he had agreed with the labourers for a penny a day, he sent them into his vineyard.

I continued to the laundry and walked to a washer and began to put my clothes in it. As I bent to pick up some clothes out of the bag, low and behold there was another penny at my feet. Figuring I got a raise, I picked it up and once again thanked Him for it.

While the clothes were washing, I started to ponder on something about Moses but I don't remember what. I decided to walk the couple of blocks back to where I was staying at the time to get a Bible. On the way, you guessed it. I spotted another penny. As close as I could recollect, it was in almost the same spot as the other one. But it hadn't been there before, I was certain of that. Picked it up, thanked Him for it, and continued on my way.

When I got to the place to get a Bible, I told a guy about the pennies and how I felt like I was on a treasure hunt. Knew it was leading somewhere, but I didn't know where. On my return to the laundry with the Bible, I checked the spot where the I found the two pennies but there were none this time.

Once I got to the laundry, my clothes had finished washing. So I got them out of the washer and moved towards the dryers and opened one. Inside was another penny. This made me certain that something was coming that day. I put the clothes in the dryer and turned it on. Hearing Jeopardy on the TV at the other end, I started walking that way. Love me some Jeopardy!

One other man was in the laundry and as I passed him I told him about the pennies and how I felt like I was on a journey. Said, 'I feel like Hansel and Gretel following the bread crumbs. As I neared the TV and began to sit down, a contestant on Jeopardy pressed in and said, 'Who is Hansel?' to the clue (which I didn't hear).

That really got my attention, so I took the Bible and turned to Numbers to look for whatever it was. I read the first two verses:

Num 1:1 And the LORD spake unto Moses in the wilderness of Sinai, in the tabernacle of the congregation, on the first day of the second month, in the second year after they were come out of the land of Egypt, saying, 2 Take ye the sum of all the congregation of the children of Israel, after their families, by the house of their fathers, with the number of their names, every male by their polls;

but it wasn't what I was looking for. So I closed the Bible and turned my attention to Jeopardy.

The next answer to be revealed was on the Bible which I didn't even know was one of the categories. It read, 'Its the book of Moses that begins with God telling Moses and Aaron to take a census of the people." My eyes opened wide and I said out loud, 'What is Numbers? I just read that!' That's when it hit me what the treasure was I was to receive.

Numbers is the 3rd book on Moses. It is in Luke, the 3rd book on Jesus, that it is written about a census being taken which required Joseph to bring pregnant Mary to Bethlehem, where Jesus was to be born, being it is the home of Joseph's heritage.

I opened again to the book of Numbers and saw this at the beginning of the 2nd chapter:

Num 2:1 And the LORD spake unto Moses and unto Aaron, saying, 2 Every man of the children of Israel shall pitch by his own standard, with the ensign of their father's house: far off about the tabernacle of the congregation shall they pitch.

Another match!

By the end of that day, all that I had posted before concerning the similarities between the written accounts of Moses and Jesus was revealed to me without even opening the Bible. And there was much, much more than that.

Offered in the Love of Christ,
Harold Smile Smile Smile
04-03-2017, 04:11 PM
Quit quoting bible, will you?

It doesn't prove anything. The writers of the NT, whoever they were had the OT at their disposal. So they could create their prophecies coming true to the letter. That isn't proof, merely preaching.
[+] 3 users Like abaris's post