Can the study of scripture be done in a scientific way?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2017, 04:12 PM
RE: Can the study of scripture be done in a scientific way?
(04-03-2017 03:29 PM)hecrow55 Wrote:  Every great work of literature has an editor. Which gospels were chosen and what order they were placed in that matches so closely to what was written concerning Moses is evidence of guidance in the matter.

It is not. No scholar on earth agrees with that nonsense. It's also not the way the canon was formed.

Quote:The apocrypha books are those which bore no fruit, thus removed by the husbandman (editor) as Jesus predicted.

False.
If he existed, Jesus never expected any gospels to be written. He expected the apocalypse "IN THIS GENERATION". You made this shit up. One (single) editor had nothing to do with the formation of the canon. Another ignorant assertion no scholar would say.

Quote:Offered in the Love of Christ,
Harold Smile Smile Smile

Get lost, you charlatan.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
04-03-2017, 04:13 PM
(04-03-2017 03:55 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(04-03-2017 03:23 PM)hecrow55 Wrote:  I have never read Gilgamesh entirely, but I know of the similarities in the stories. It is evidence that what I posted earlier that the origins of many, if not all, of the religions have are the same, namely Sumerian. These tales where adapted and modified to fit the political climate and society in each distinctive area.

And since you're arguing for the bible being true, far as I see it, do you consider the Gilgamesh epic to be true also? Why so?
I am only arguing that the words attributed to Jesus are true. The stories, such as Noah's Ark, are things attributed to God but are not of Him. But since they were written, Jesus had to fulfill them. (But Noah's Ark is another matter rather than the one focused on at this time, Maybe eventually we will get to it.)

Good question by the way. That's one of the main reason I like to discuss things with agnostics and atheist more than Christians. A lot of great questions come forth that I may not have considered yet.
04-03-2017, 04:15 PM
(04-03-2017 04:13 PM)hecrow55 Wrote:  Good question by the way. That's one of the main reason I like to discuss things with agnostics and atheist more than Christians. A lot of great questions come forth that I may not have considered yet.

You should answer them sometimes if they are good questions. And not by quoting the bible.
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
04-03-2017, 04:16 PM
(04-03-2017 04:13 PM)hecrow55 Wrote:  Maybe eventually we will get to it.

Lets hope not. You're a fraud and have no expertise in ancient literature.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
04-03-2017, 04:17 PM
(04-03-2017 04:11 PM)abaris Wrote:  Quit quoting bible, will you?

It doesn't prove anything. The writers of the NT, whoever they were had the OT at their disposal. So they could create their prophecies coming true to the letter. That isn't proof, merely preaching.

Actually, they misunderstood the Jewish prophecies and it would seem that Christians actually twisted the Hebrew scripture to make it seem that their Jesus story backs into the Jewish prophecies. Take away the mistranslations and suddenly Jesus and the Christian message start looking like the hoax they are.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
04-03-2017, 04:21 PM
(04-03-2017 04:12 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(04-03-2017 03:29 PM)hecrow55 Wrote:  Every great work of literature has an editor. Which gospels were chosen and what order they were placed in that matches so closely to what was written concerning Moses is evidence of guidance in the matter.

It is not. No scholar on earth agrees with that nonsense. It's also not the way the canon was formed.

Quote:The apocrypha books are those which bore no fruit, thus removed by the husbandman (editor) as Jesus predicted.

False.
If he existed, Jesus never expected any gospels to be written. He expected the apocalypse "IN THIS GENERATION". You made this shit up. One (single) editor had nothing to do with the formation of the canon. Another ignorant assertion no scholar would say.

Quote:Offered in the Love of Christ,
Harold Smile Smile Smile

Get lost, you charlatan.
I see you are referring to traditional Christian belief in an eventual destruction of the world apocalypse.

The End Times Jesus speaks of is the Jewish belief that there would be an ending to the Mosaic law by it being fulfilled thus the beginning of the Messianic period. This did take place and is recorded in the scriptures with supporting evidence in the Roman historian reports of the growth of Christianity. Which is another self-similar event with Moses.

The generation that followed Moses into the wilderness perished before entering into the promised land. The Prophet like unto Moses also had a generation that would perish before realising the coming of the Kingdom (The Bible).

Offered in the Love of Christ,
Harold Smile Smile Smile
04-03-2017, 04:22 PM
(04-03-2017 04:17 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Actually, they misunderstood the Jewish prophecies and it would seem that Christians actually twisted the Hebrew scripture to make it seem that their Jesus story backs into the Jewish prophecies. Take away the mistranslations and suddenly Jesus and the Christian message start looking like the hoax they are.

That's written on a different page. Of course it doesn't add up, but the OT was there. So everyone could make it suit their needs. In my opinion, the OT is nothing more than a collection of behavioral advices for a more or less lawless society, mixed with jewish breast pounding over past victories.
04-03-2017, 04:24 PM
(04-03-2017 04:15 PM)abaris Wrote:  You should answer them sometimes if they are good questions. And not by quoting the bible.
I did answer the question. I don't believe the Jewish fables recorded in the Bible to be true, thus I don't believe the epic of Gilgamesh is true.
But since they were ascribed to God, the necessity for Jesus to fulfill them as He said in order to purge them (not destroy or erase).
04-03-2017, 04:25 PM
(04-03-2017 04:24 PM)hecrow55 Wrote:  I did answer the question. I don't believe the Jewish fables recorded in the Bible to be true, thus I don't believe the epic of Gilgamesh is true.

And yet you take the prophecies from the OT to make your case for Jesus. That's not exactly logical, is it.
04-03-2017, 04:30 PM
(04-03-2017 04:25 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(04-03-2017 04:24 PM)hecrow55 Wrote:  I did answer the question. I don't believe the Jewish fables recorded in the Bible to be true, thus I don't believe the epic of Gilgamesh is true.

And yet you take the prophecies from the OT to make your case for Jesus. That's not exactly logical, is it.

As I stated before, Jesus says He came to fulfill the law and the prophets, not to destroy. Therefore, if it can be shown that they were fulfilled by Him, then it is evidence to His saying being true.