Can the study of scripture be done in a scientific way?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2017, 06:41 PM
RE: Can the study of scripture be done in a scientific way?
(04-03-2017 06:40 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Actually the entire "fulfillment" thing is nonsense.
It's not a Hebrew concept.
Divination and omen reading were forbidden in Deuteronomy.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid257278

T'wasn't me making that statement. I only home in on the word fable, which makes it entirely redundant to say the least.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2017, 06:43 PM
(04-03-2017 06:37 PM)hecrow55 Wrote:  Jesus came as man and was subject to the same things all mankind is subject to. That includes learning things.

I never said the Spirit didn't know all things I said that the Spirit is the continuation (Life) of all that the Father knows and the communication of it.

Ok, so, how did Jesus fulfil law of Moses?
who or what is Spirit?

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
04-03-2017, 06:44 PM
(04-03-2017 06:41 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(04-03-2017 06:40 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Actually the entire "fulfillment" thing is nonsense.
It's not a Hebrew concept.
Divination and omen reading were forbidden in Deuteronomy.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid257278

T'wasn't me making that statement. I only home in on the word fable, which makes it entirely redundant to say the least.

Exactly. Your question is perfectly legitimate. Big Grin

But since he has no Biblical education, he would not know the role of a prophet was never to tell the future. That's a street level common mistake, uneducated Bible readers make.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
04-03-2017, 06:49 PM
(04-03-2017 06:44 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  the role of a prophet was never to tell the future. That's a street level common mistake, uneducated Bible readers make.

Yes, but sometimes they do.

04-03-2017, 06:51 PM
(04-03-2017 06:23 PM)hecrow55 Wrote:  
(04-03-2017 06:13 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Actually, that's called plagerism.

So basically your book consists of you making your free-style comments on other people's works. Yes, I see.

It's not plagiarism (which you misspelled).

Indeed I did.
04-03-2017, 06:59 PM
(04-03-2017 06:49 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(04-03-2017 06:44 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  the role of a prophet was never to tell the future. That's a street level common mistake, uneducated Bible readers make.

Yes, but sometimes they do.

No they don't. "Prediction" was never the role of a prophet. It was to advise the people of their own times. People did not start looking for "fulfilled" predictions from prophets until about the turn of the millennium.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
04-03-2017, 07:08 PM
(04-03-2017 06:59 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(04-03-2017 06:49 PM)Alla Wrote:  Yes, but sometimes they do.

No they don't. "Prediction" was never the role of a prophet. It was to advise the people of their own times. People did not start looking for "fulfilled" predictions from prophets until about the turn of the millennium.

Bucky, you may have answered this previously, but at where did Christians get this idea of Jewish prophets predicting the future? Did they take our ideas of the messiah to mean all prophecy was supposed to be about the future?
04-03-2017, 07:10 PM
(04-03-2017 06:59 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(04-03-2017 06:49 PM)Alla Wrote:  Yes, but sometimes they do.

Prophets talked about events that would happen in the future. They still do.
But the main role of a prophet is to lead and to guide God's chosen people who are and always will be house of Jacob(Israel)

04-03-2017, 07:11 PM
(04-03-2017 07:08 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Did they take our ideas of the messiah to mean all prophecy was supposed to be about the future?

I'm not bucky, but indeed they did. I was brought up with that bullshit which my jewish grandfather didn't counter, since he was more interested in roast pork than religion. The only jewish thing I got from him were a few jiddish words and matzo at easter.
[+] 3 users Like abaris's post
04-03-2017, 07:23 PM
One last post tonight.

I never said that a prophet's role was to predict the future.
I said that what they wrote was ascribed to God, Jesus said He would fulfill it.
He never said it was a prediction about Himself, but that it was written of Him.
By fulfilling that which was written which no other man could possibly do testifies to His uniqueness.

Good night my friends.