Can the study of scripture be done in a scientific way?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2017, 07:27 PM
RE: Can the study of scripture be done in a scientific way?
(04-03-2017 07:23 PM)hecrow55 Wrote:  One last post tonight.

I never said that a prophet's role was to predict the future.
I said that what they wrote was ascribed to God, Jesus said He would fulfill it.
He never said it was a prediction about Himself, but that it was written of Him.
By fulfilling that which was written which no other man could possibly do testifies to His uniqueness.

Still waiting for you to tie any of this to reality. Showing how a story can be interpreted to be consistent, even if what you were spewing did that, doesn't mean any of it is real.

Quote:Good night my friends.

We are not friends. You demean the term when you use it like that.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
04-03-2017, 07:32 PM
(04-03-2017 07:11 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(04-03-2017 07:08 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Did they take our ideas of the messiah to mean all prophecy was supposed to be about the future?

I'm not bucky, but indeed they did. I was brought up with that bullshit which my jewish grandfather didn't counter, since he was more interested in roast pork than religion. The only jewish thing I got from him were a few jiddish words and matzo at easter.

Sorry. I'm on my cell. Details are eluding me.
04-03-2017, 08:34 PM
(04-03-2017 07:08 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(04-03-2017 06:59 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  No they don't. "Prediction" was never the role of a prophet. It was to advise the people of their own times. People did not start looking for "fulfilled" predictions from prophets until about the turn of the millennium.

Bucky, you may have answered this previously, but at where did Christians get this idea of Jewish prophets predicting the future? Did they take our ideas of the messiah to mean all prophecy was supposed to be about the future?

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid257278

It became popular during the late Apocalyptic period.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
04-03-2017, 08:41 PM
(04-03-2017 07:23 PM)hecrow55 Wrote:  One last post tonight.

I never said that a prophet's role was to predict the future.
I said that what they wrote was ascribed to God, Jesus said He would fulfill it.
He never said it was a prediction about Himself, but that it was written of Him.
By fulfilling that which was written which no other man could possibly do testifies to His uniqueness.

Good night my friends.

"Written of him" is the same fallacy. That's NOT what a prophet did in Hebrew society. Just as many things did not come to pass, as did, anyway. The role of a prophet was to advise the people of their own day ... the ONLY prediction they did was by way of advice, as in "brush your teeth or you will get cavities".

You hecrow, have NO EDUCATION on the ancient near East, and it's cultures and religions. It is NOT what prophets did. Ever. They were not "writing of him" and NO SCHOLAR on Earth buys this garbage.

"Fulfilled prophecy" is not a Biblical notion. You made it up, as you never studied the Bible under a competent teacher. You're a typical internet amateur fake preacher.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
04-03-2017, 11:55 PM
(04-03-2017 08:41 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  You're [hecrow55] a typical internet amateur fake preacher.

Indeed, he is entirely pedestrian. Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
04-03-2017, 11:59 PM
Quote:Science and Christianity have one thing in common, they both are a search for the truth.

Horseshit. Science is a search for facts. Religion is a control mechanism to keep the dolts in line.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 4 users Like Minimalist's post
05-03-2017, 01:41 AM
(04-03-2017 07:23 PM)hecrow55 Wrote:  Gobbledegook.

[Image: steve-carrell-is-articulate.gif]

Italics mine.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
05-03-2017, 01:43 AM
(04-03-2017 07:32 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Sorry. I'm on my cell. Details are eluding me.

You're in gaol??? OhmyOhmyOhmyOhmyOhmyOhmy

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
05-03-2017, 01:55 AM
Oh, man. Just read this thread. He thinks Adam and Eve were real people! Laugh out load

"Scientific", indeed.

There's just no reaching some people.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
05-03-2017, 02:02 AM
(05-03-2017 01:55 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Oh, man. Just read this thread. He thinks Adam and Eve were real people! Laugh out load

"Scientific", indeed.

There's just no reaching some people.

BlinkBlinkBlink

[Image: giphy.gif]

Banjo.