Can the study of scripture be done in a scientific way?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-03-2017, 03:23 AM
RE: Can the study of scripture be done in a scientific way?
So the answer to the titular question is yes.

What happens? "Scripture" (fancy word for a story) folds like a bitch and cries in the corner for the rest of the game.

All the "arguments" offered here could just as easily show Frodo Baggins was real.

I'll take it as a compliment that every single one of my objections throughout the thread have been ignored.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Robvalue's post
05-03-2017, 05:44 AM
(04-03-2017 08:41 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(04-03-2017 07:23 PM)hecrow55 Wrote:  One last post tonight.

I never said that a prophet's role was to predict the future.
I said that what they wrote was ascribed to God, Jesus said He would fulfill it.
He never said it was a prediction about Himself, but that it was written of Him.
By fulfilling that which was written which no other man could possibly do testifies to His uniqueness.

Good night my friends.

"Written of him" is the same fallacy. That's NOT what a prophet did in Hebrew society. Just as many things did not come to pass, as did, anyway. The role of a prophet was to advise the people of their own day ... the ONLY prediction they did was by way of advice, as in "brush your teeth or you will get cavities".

You hecrow, have NO EDUCATION on the ancient near East, and it's cultures and religions. It is NOT what prophets did. Ever. They were not "writing of him" and NO SCHOLAR on Earth buys this garbage.

"Fulfilled prophecy" is not a Biblical notion. You made it up, as you never studied the Bible under a competent teacher. You're a typical internet amateur fake preacher.

They were writing things and claiming them to be of God. That is what Jesus is referring to for the most part when He said, "Written of me".

By the way, when it is written that Moses said there would be a Prophet like unto himself that is definitely a prediction of the future.
Find all posts by this user
05-03-2017, 05:48 AM
(05-03-2017 01:55 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Oh, man. Just read this thread. He thinks Adam and Eve were real people! Laugh out load

"Scientific", indeed.

There's just no reaching some people.

Where's you get that? I've said it is a Jewish fable derived from a Sumerian story modified to fit the political and society ideology of the Isrealites.
05-03-2017, 06:45 AM
(05-03-2017 05:44 AM)hecrow55 Wrote:  They were writing things and claiming them to be of God. That is what Jesus is referring to for the most part when He said, "Written of me".

By the way, when it is written that Moses said there would be a Prophet like unto himself that is definitely a prediction of the future.

No they were not. You're making up this nonsense, and you have no education in the subject. Jesus never said he was god. The idea that a Jew would claim equivalence with Yahweh is simply impossible. Moses never said anything. He was a mythical figure. You STILL have refused to answer the question about how it is he fulfills things if they were untrue, or how it is you make that decision. You also claimed (lied) that this was going to be scientific. It's not only not scientific, but you have absolutely NO criteria AT ALL for your dot-connecting. Predicting the future was forbidden.

"When you enter the land the LORD your God is giving you, do not learn to imitate the detestable ways of the nations there. "Let no one be found among you who sacrifices their son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft,or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead."

You are doing what was forbidden.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
05-03-2017, 06:49 AM
(05-03-2017 05:44 AM)hecrow55 Wrote:  They were writing things and claiming them to be of God.

With the operative word being "claiming". There is absolutely nothing in the bible that is beyond the cultures that produced it and there is plenty that seems unexpected if we assume this is from a deity trying to communicate with people.

Still waiting for you to connect any of the claims to reality.

Why should I believe that Jesus was an actual person?
Why should I believe that the NT presents anything he said or did accurately?

We don't even need to get to the nature of the miracle claims until you can get through those questions.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
05-03-2017, 06:50 AM
(05-03-2017 05:48 AM)hecrow55 Wrote:  
(05-03-2017 01:55 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Oh, man. Just read this thread. He thinks Adam and Eve were real people! Laugh out load

"Scientific", indeed.

There's just no reaching some people.

Where's you get that? I've said it is a Jewish fable derived from a Sumerian story modified to fit the political and society ideology of the Isrealites.

Exactly. But then you dot-connect your bullshit to Jesus. How is connecting fables to Jesus "scientific" ? Answer the damn question, you fraud.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
05-03-2017, 06:53 AM
(05-03-2017 06:50 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Exactly. But then you dot-connect your bullshit to Jesus. How is connecting fables to Jesus "scientific" ? Answer the damn question, you fraud.

He still didn't do it?

Of course he didn't. Because he's got no answer.
05-03-2017, 06:53 AM
(05-03-2017 06:45 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(05-03-2017 05:44 AM)hecrow55 Wrote:  They were writing things and claiming them to be of God. That is what Jesus is referring to for the most part when He said, "Written of me".

No they were not. You're making up this nonsense, and you have no education in the subject. Jesus never said he was god. The idea that a Jew would claim equivalence with Yahweh is simply impossible. Moses never said anything. He was a mythical figure. You STILL have refused to answer the question about how it is he fulfills things if they were untrue, or how it is you make that decision. You also claimed (lied) that this was going to be scientific. It's not only not scientific, but you have absolutely NO criteria AT ALL for your dot-connecting. Predicting the future was forbidden.

"When you enter the land the LORD your God is giving you, do not learn to imitate the detestable ways of the nations there. "Let no one be found among you who sacrifices their son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft,or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead."

You are doing what was forbidden.

Sorry Bucky, but I don't interpret scripture, scripture interprets itself.

Science involves producing evidence obtained either by observation or experimentation. I'm sharing only that which I've observed. That it is not what is the traditional teachings of the Christian or Jewish religions doesn't matter.

Evidence testifies to what is true or not. And truth doesn't require anyone to believe it for it to be the truth. It will always be the truth.

Whether or not you or others consider what I share as evidence is irrelevant.
05-03-2017, 06:55 AM
(05-03-2017 06:53 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(05-03-2017 06:50 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Exactly. But then you dot-connect your bullshit to Jesus. How is connecting fables to Jesus "scientific" ? Answer the damn question, you fraud.

He still didn't do it?

Of course he didn't. Because he's got no answer.

I told all of you that it would be done soon. Patience is a virtue.
05-03-2017, 07:13 AM
(05-03-2017 06:53 AM)hecrow55 Wrote:  Sorry Bucky, but I don't interpret scripture, scripture interprets itself.

That has to be one of the most inane things I've ever heard.

Quote:Science involves producing evidence obtained either by observation or experimentation. I'm sharing only that which I've observed. That it is not what is the traditional teachings of the Christian or Jewish religions doesn't matter.

Science goes on to offer hypotheses to explain those observations and find ways to test those hypotheses. Anything that can't be tested and verified doesn't get past the observation stage.

Science starts with "this is what we see" and works towards "this is the cause". You start with "this is the cause" and work to see things that support it. You aren't being scientific, you are being cifitneics.

Quote:Evidence testifies to what is true or not. And truth doesn't require anyone to believe it for it to be the truth. It will always be the truth.

Evidence for something doesn't carry much weight when the same observations support alternate conclusions. Nothing you've "observed" (even if I didn't think you were cherry-picking and twisting meanings) supports the conclusion of a god any more than it supports the conclusion that the story is a work of fiction.

Quote:Whether or not you or others consider what I share as evidence is irrelevant.

Not if you want anybody else to agree with your conclusions. If you don't and you just want to preach then you may want to find some other forum where they are more open to unsupported claims.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post