Can the study of scripture be done in a scientific way?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2017, 05:37 PM
RE: Can the study of scripture be done in a scientific way?
(22-03-2017 06:03 AM)hecrow55 Wrote:  Try holding a Bible in your hand and say the line.

What would be the point of that? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2017, 05:42 PM
(27-03-2017 04:13 PM)hecrow55 Wrote:  Sorry, but its seems like I've wasted my time and yours. I was misled by the title of the site.

Be Blessed in the Lord,
Harold Smile Smile Smile

You spread the irony very thickly. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-03-2017, 08:18 PM
(27-03-2017 04:13 PM)hecrow55 Wrote:  Sorry, but its seems like I've wasted my time and yours. I was misled by the title of the site.

Be Blessed in the Lord,
Harold Smile Smile Smile

Really?

Harold, the only thing that misled you was your own ego, abetted by overconfidence. You presented your case, such as it was, and rather than falling before your wisdom, we dissected your arguments thoroughly and completely. Even worse, we returned questions that you could not answer.

I enter these conversations with an open mind and ready to learn. Unfortunately, few of the theists are qualified to teach. In any event, I learn from researching my own posts, the opposing posts and those of my fellow atheists. Thus, I must point out that the only time that may have been wasted was yours.

Oh well.

Your god is not real.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
27-03-2017, 08:39 PM

Be Blessed in the Lord,
Harold Smile Smile Smile

[Image: ec424d0ca48836ddada1ffae5df084f2.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 6 users Like Full Circle's post
27-03-2017, 09:00 PM (This post was last modified: 29-03-2017 05:56 AM by Bucky Ball.)

Be Blessed in the Lord,
Harold Smile Smile Smile

More like wasted your life on nonsense.
It's so funny when ignorant fools think the definition of "thinking" means "agree with me, or you're not".

You're actually not competent to comment on what is "thinking" or not. The only thing you can really talk about is connecting random things you claim are connected, even though in fact, they are not. There is a name for what you suffer from :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apophenia

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
28-03-2017, 05:11 AM

Be Blessed in the Lord,
Harold Smile Smile Smile
Reminds me of the verse, "Come, let us reason together, says the Lord ..." which, back in my theist daze, we used to suggest that god was interested in fireside chats where one could reason one's way to Truth. But that is not how religious faith works. How does the verse conclude? With dogma, not facts: "... though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow". No reasoning at all. No systematic buildup of facts to support the notion of sin, simply an axiomatic assertion of sin.

So you see, Harold, until your definition of "think" comports itself with what "thinking" actually IS, you WILL have wasted your time here.
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post
28-03-2017, 05:25 AM
(28-03-2017 05:11 AM)mordant Wrote:  Reminds me of the verse, "Come, let us reason together, says the Lord ..." which, back in my theist daze, we used to suggest that god was interested in fireside chats where one could reason one's way to Truth.

I had an argument with a theist who was trying to use that to show that god didn't want people to follow him blindly. The problem is that the parts that follow say "If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land: But if ye refuse and rebel, ye shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it."

It isn't a call to reason, it is "if you are smart you will do what I say or I will hurt you". It is a prime example of the "mafia boss" god that they have created.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 5 users Like unfogged's post