Can this belief that I have be proven to be impossible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2013, 05:08 AM
Can this belief that I have be proven to be impossible
Hello everyone. I have this belief and was thinking if there are any reasons (either scientific or philosophical) that may cause this belief of mine to be confirmed as impossible.

My belief is that , similar to quantum entanglement, whenever we develop our consciousness in the brain, there will be an immortal part of it that will be made in an afterlife (if one exists) but won't be activated until our death when we will die and our immortal consciousness will be "activated".

Is there any scientific theory/ law or any philosophical ideas that will disprove this belief of mine and make it impossible?

Im not sure if this should be here or in the philosohy section
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-12-2013, 08:47 AM
RE: Can this belief that I have be proven to be impossible
It is not possible to prove that pink unicorns exist, but why would we believe in it? You must have at least some
evidence or indications to come up with a theory like that. And what you describe is not much of a theory. If you
could describe a more precise mechanism how this would work, then science might be able to prove or disprove it.
[+] 2 users Like black_squirrel's post
20-12-2013, 08:53 AM (This post was last modified: 20-12-2013 08:56 AM by DLJ.)
Yup. Seems legit.

I guess that the fact that when your brain dies your consciousness goes with it, might be a small hurdle but don't worry about that.

Start working on a test that can prove it possible and we'll go from there, shall we?

Oh! and welcome to the madhouse. Thumbsup

ps. yes, this is probably the wrong section... the existence or nonexistence of some form of afterlife does not lead naturally to there being (or not being) any supernatural entities.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
20-12-2013, 08:55 AM
(20-12-2013 05:08 AM)Dustybite Wrote:  Hello everyone. I have this belief and was thinking if there are any reasons (either scientific or philosophical) that may cause this belief of mine to be confirmed as impossible.

My belief is that , similar to quantum entanglement, whenever we develop our consciousness in the brain, there will be an immortal part of it that will be made in an afterlife (if one exists) but won't be activated until our death when we will die and our immortal consciousness will be "activated".

Is there any scientific theory/ law or any philosophical ideas that will disprove this belief of mine and make it impossible?

You realize that part ^ doesn't make sense - right? You really can't say "there will be" then follow with (if one exists)..........right? You've cancelled out your own suggestion in one sentence.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
20-12-2013, 09:59 AM
(20-12-2013 05:08 AM)Dustybite Wrote:  Hello everyone. I have this belief and was thinking if there are any reasons (either scientific or philosophical) that may cause this belief of mine to be confirmed as impossible.

If you can't describe something that can be observed, tested, and independently verified, then science cannot help you in your pursuit.

Of course, your idea can't be proven wrong, but it can't be proven right, either, so I wouldn't put much stock in it. If your idea can't be used to make any useful predictions as to how the world works, then of what use is your idea?
20-12-2013, 09:59 AM
(20-12-2013 08:53 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Yup. Seems legit.

I guess that the fact that when your brain dies your consciousness goes with it, might be a small hurdle but don't worry about that.

Start working on a test that can prove it possible and we'll go from there, shall we?

ps. yes, this is probably the wrong section... the existence or nonexistence of some form of afterlife does not lead naturally to there being (or not being) any supernatural entities.

Well I addressed the fact of the current part consciousness. It stops but your immortal part of it continues to go on forever
20-12-2013, 10:24 AM
(20-12-2013 09:59 AM)Dustybite Wrote:  
(20-12-2013 08:53 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Yup. Seems legit.

Well I addressed the fact of the current part consciousness. It stops but your immortal part of it continues to go on forever

What immortal part? Please show the evidence for an immortal part. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-12-2013, 10:34 AM
(20-12-2013 05:08 AM)Dustybite Wrote:  Is there any scientific theory/ law or any philosophical ideas that will disprove this belief of mine and make it impossible?

Why not prove it using scientific theory and law? Thumbsup

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
20-12-2013, 10:50 AM

Well, let's see.

First, we could prove that quantum entanglement don't work like that. Not a central statement, but something that could be disproven.

Beyond that, need a clearer definition of terms. Give me your precise definition of death... and also of what elements of consciousness would be mirrored in this reproduction of yours.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
20-12-2013, 11:00 AM

There is nothing stopping you from having the belief.
There is also nothing from stopping you from believing that you owe me $5000.

I cannot disprove that you don't owe me money.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 4 users Like Rahn127's post