Can this belief that I have be proven to be impossible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2013, 11:08 AM
RE: Can this belief that I have be proven to be impossible
(20-12-2013 10:24 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-12-2013 09:59 AM)Dustybite Wrote:  Well I addressed the fact of the current part consciousness. It stops but your immortal part of it continues to go on forever

What immortal part? Please show the evidence for an immortal part. Drinking Beverage

And I bet my immortal part is bigger than your immortal part. Big Grin

Tongue

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
20-12-2013, 11:10 AM
(20-12-2013 11:00 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  There is nothing stopping you from having the belief.
There is also nothing from stopping you from believing that you owe me $5000.

I cannot disprove that you don't owe me money.

Sonnuvabitch. I need to start monetizing my sarcasm and other people's credulity.
[+] 5 users Like RobbyPants's post
20-12-2013, 11:24 AM
Basically this question is asking

"Is there something known to modern science that prevents me from thinking irrationally"

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
20-12-2013, 11:29 AM
(20-12-2013 11:24 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Basically this question is asking

"Is there something known to modern science that prevents me from thinking irrationally"

?

You fogrot a qeustnio mkra...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
20-12-2013, 11:42 AM
(20-12-2013 05:08 AM)Dustybite Wrote:  Hello everyone. I have this belief and was thinking if there are any reasons (either scientific or philosophical) that may cause this belief of mine to be confirmed as impossible.

My belief is that , similar to quantum entanglement, whenever we develop our consciousness in the brain, there will be an immortal part of it that will be made in an afterlife (if one exists) but won't be activated until our death when we will die and our immortal consciousness will be "activated".

Is there any scientific theory/ law or any philosophical ideas that will disprove this belief of mine and make it impossible?

Im not sure if this should be here or in the philosohy section

You got this all wrong. You don't just make up shit backed up only by "I believe" and ask if something disproves it.
You come up with reasoning and evidence for your shit and see if your reasoning and evidence can withstand scrutiny.
And that's only the first step.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
20-12-2013, 12:04 PM
Well, when you get your philosophy from Deepak Chopra... Dodgy

The mistake here is assuming consciousness to be an action when in fact it is nearly certainly a reaction - to environment. So the obvious question would be, what is the environment of afterlife?

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
20-12-2013, 12:14 PM
(20-12-2013 12:04 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Well, when you get your philosophy from Deepak Chopra... Dodgy

Here's my random Deepak Chopra quote of the day from http://www.wisdomofchopra.com, "Quantum physics creates intricate bliss". Profound, I call it.

Anyway, to the OP. What brought about this belief of yours? Is it something you share with anybody else or is it uniquely yours?

And are you sure you understand quantum entanglement?

Doc
20-12-2013, 12:17 PM
Forget reasons why you shouldn't believe it... Why do you believe it at all?

How do you make the jump between Quantum Entanglement and "immortal consciousness/afterlife"?

There is absolutely no reason to think that consciousness continues after brain death... The brain doesn't even need to be dead to lose consciousness.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
20-12-2013, 12:17 PM
(20-12-2013 05:08 AM)Dustybite Wrote:  Hello everyone. I have this belief and was thinking if there are any reasons (either scientific or philosophical) that may cause this belief of mine to be confirmed as impossible.

My belief is that , similar to quantum entanglement, whenever we develop our consciousness in the brain, there will be an immortal part of it that will be made in an afterlife (if one exists) but won't be activated until our death when we will die and our immortal consciousness will be "activated".

Is there any scientific theory/ law or any philosophical ideas that will disprove this belief of mine and make it impossible?

I'm more interested in why you believe this in the first place. It sounds like someone who fears death that is rationalizing the possibility of an escape hatch. If this describes you, you're not alone. It sure resembles rationalizations I've made in the past.

Do you fear your own death? Why?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 2 users Like Cardinal Smurf's post
20-12-2013, 12:23 PM

Clearly you know next to nothing of Neuro-physiology, or brain chemistry.
Please explain how in ANY way this is "similar" to quantum entanglement.
Anything is possible. So no, no one can prove(disprove) a negative. The enterprise is meaningless. However you can't disprove there is a 1957 CHevy orbiting Pluto, or that there is a teapot orbiting the sun. The probabilities of your theory, and the last two are relatively similar, (ie *zero*). Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche