Can we color-code some forums?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2013, 05:27 AM
Can we color-code some forums?
For example, the Support forum. I never know when I am reading a post in there. Mainly because what I do is click "View Today's Posts" and then I scan down the thread subjects. When I find a subject that interests me, I click it. My eyes view the subject and remain on the subject when I guide the mouse there to click it; I never think to scan to the right and see which sub-forum the post is in.

By the time I am in it and reading it, there isn't an easy way to view the forum (only by scrolling back to the top) and I don't really think about it anyway.

Then suddenly I see people on the thread talking about how the special rules of this sub-forum have been broken, and THEN I scroll up and figure out which sub-forum I am in.

What would be really helpful would be if we could have the thread background color-coded so that when reading a thread in any sub-forum with special rules (like the Support or the Teen forum; I don't know how many forums have special rules) we can immediately see, by the different color, that we're not in one of the usual 'anything goes" sub-forums.

Is this possible, or worth it?

(Maybe I am the only one clicking threads this way without first checking which sub-forum they're in?)

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2013, 05:34 AM
RE: Can we color-code some forums?
Posts in "show today's posts" have the section title next to them.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
03-03-2013, 05:40 AM
I know that. I said I don't think about scanning to the right and reading that. About 99% of the posts don't matter (because they're in unrestricted sub-forums), so I never bother to check; I just see an interesting subject and click it. The few that do matter, I don't know it's in a rules-heavy sub-forum because I didn't bother to check.

That's on me, my bad, I should check. But it matters so rarely that I just don't remember.

If it's a coding nightmare to color the threads' backgrounds in some forums, then it's probably not worth it to compensate for my negligence, unless maybe others find the same thing happening to them.

I noticed, for example, several people getting rather harsh with an Egor thread in the Support forum today, until one member reminded them that it was a support forum and then there were some apologies - my guess is that they didn't realize what forum it was, either.

But if it's not a coding nightmare (I'm hoping there's an easy setting to simply change it), then maybe it would help a lot of us out with our negligence.

Or maybe it's just me.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
03-03-2013, 06:38 AM
That is an excellent suggestion. I doubt that it is simple to implement, but Deep would have a better insight into that.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
03-03-2013, 07:54 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2013 07:58 PM by DeepThought.)
It's possible to assign a different template to a forum. It creates extra maintenance work though... Every change needs to be pushed to each template.

More templates = more nightmares.

There is a slim chance it can be done with a fancy css selector... I'll check.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
03-03-2013, 08:08 PM
Nope, I was hoping that somewhere in the template the software would attach an id of the forum being viewed.

That would give me something to grab onto with a css selector...

03-03-2013, 08:37 PM
My apologies... I made a mistake that caused one of the templates to crash.

The forum was dead for a few mins...

I managed to embed the forum id in the body tag. Now I can use css selectors to modify anything about how a forum is displayed without adding extra templates.

03-03-2013, 08:43 PM
Ok, the color for this forum is darkblue. It can easily be changed - even could be an image.

It's only a temporary proof of concept.

03-03-2013, 08:56 PM
So.... Where do we go from here?

04-03-2013, 02:50 AM
How about we have one colour for regular sections, one colour for sections with their own rules (PI&S and The Boxing Ring), and one colour for management sections?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.