Can we know anything for sure?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-09-2016, 03:11 PM
Can we know anything for sure?
Okay, I know, second post in a day. But this is another question I had.

Our own perception is the only thing we have direct experience with. Everything else we can only observe through our senses and attempt to interpret. Since nobody knows what it would be 'like' to view the world outside of our minds, nobody can really know anything other than the fact that we exist?

Once again, having a debate with someone here. It seems like this line of thinking would lead to solipsism, yet I'm also not totally sure it matters. We can infer things that we need to know about the world(if you drop a glass, it will fall and might break, etc). Does it even make sense to talk about "knowledge" in that ultimate of a sense?

Philosophy's not my strong suit, I'm working on it. Smile

Embrace the chaos
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-09-2016, 03:18 PM
RE: Can we know anything for sure?
Are we all just brains in a vat? Maybe. You should check out Matt Dillahunty's debate with Sye Ten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8q0hxqdq8A

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
17-09-2016, 03:20 PM
Absolutely! Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
17-09-2016, 04:47 PM
I don't think we can, but I don't care.

Walking around in the world--if I am, actually, walking around and not a brain in a vat--I am able to talk to other people and manipulate events in a consistent way. My reality conforms to what I would expect in terms of my knowledge interacting with what I think of as reality. If I ever get information that contradicts my ideas about knowledge, reality, etc., I'll adjust.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
17-09-2016, 05:17 PM
(17-09-2016 03:20 PM)pablo Wrote:  Absolutely! Big Grin

I'm not so sure about that...

In response to the original question, in the grand scheme we can't be sure. That said, if what I think is really real actually isn't... so what? I can only deal with what I experience. From a purely practical view I have to assume that there is an objective reality and that what I'm getting through my senses is reasonably accurate. Solipsism is a dead-end because if you accept it you have to give up ever knowing, or even believing, anything.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
17-09-2016, 05:30 PM
(17-09-2016 03:11 PM)ErinRH2342 Wrote:  ---
.... the fact that we exist ...

---

You sure about that? Angel

Don't ... No just, Do NOT get into that "brain in a vat" bullshit of that Sye Ten moron. He's a piece of presuppositional shit that you don't want to be around. I'm serious about this ... he'll get his stank on you and like most weasel stank, it will take several showers to wash off. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
17-09-2016, 05:35 PM
I know the gout flare in my left foot hurts. Sadcryface2

That any use?

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
17-09-2016, 05:47 PM
Can we know anything for sure? Consider

Maybe, maybe not. Drinking Beverage

Seriously, though, I'm a pragmatist so I really don't care. I can be sure enough.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
17-09-2016, 05:55 PM
(17-09-2016 05:35 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  I know the gout flare in my left foot hurts. Sadcryface2

That any use?

Yikes. Gout sucks, I only ever had two bouts of it and will never forget it.

As far as knowing anything for sure - only within our sensory and intellectual abilities. And that may only a part of the big picture - we may never know the whole picture because we simply can't perceive it.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
17-09-2016, 06:08 PM
I tend to solipsism into two camps

Positive solipsism where a person is declaring everything is a illusion to which i state then why are you conversing with a delusion or ask them to prove it with evidence they can demonstrate isn't a delusion

Then there is negative solipsism(which has many other titles) where someone is merely skeptical of reality which i would ask how would you go about resolving your skepticism

as for sye and his presup crap id love to know how sye determines that even if his revelations come from god how does he know there true ?

[Image: giphy.gif]