Can we know for certain?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2014, 01:24 PM
Can we know for certain?
Was watching a YT vid of Eric Hovind (who I want to slap every time he opens his mouth), in which he asks the question 'can we ever know anything with absolute certainty'. The crux being, if you say no, he'll ask 'are you absolutely certain'.

However it occurs to me that the answer should be 'yes' anyway. My reasoning is this. Certainty is a measure of confidence, not accuracy. We can be entirely confident of our answer... and still be wrong. It is, therefore, best to assume we can never prove anything beyond doubt in order to prevent being blinded by undeserved confidence in a position.

We could do a double on this:
The only constant is change.
The only thing we can be certain of is our uncertainty.

What think ye?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-11-2014, 01:28 PM
RE: Can we know for certain?
There are lots of things we can know with absolute certainty due to direct evidence.
18-11-2014, 01:37 PM
I am certainly uncertain about the certainty of any of this.

Drinking Beverage

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
18-11-2014, 01:51 PM
I’m confident/sure that no evidence exists to support the claim of a deity.
I’m confident/sure that no evidence is required for one to have faith. Faith isn’t about facts.

Having said that ^^ therefore, there always exists a possibility that something beyond the here and now exists. But the here and now is what is most certain.

Why focus on anything other than the here and now?

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
18-11-2014, 01:52 PM
Quote:Was watching a YT vid of Eric Hovind (who I want to slap every time he opens his mouth), in which he asks the question 'can we ever know anything with absolute certainty'

I know that Hovind is a fucking moron. Of this I am absolutely certain.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 5 users Like Minimalist's post
18-11-2014, 02:03 PM
There are some things that we cannot know 100% but you would have to outlive the lifetime of the universe for the chance of it happening. For example, a cold cup of coffee suddenly heating up by itself beyond room temperature.

If the probability of something being true is negligible then it should be considered for all intents and purposes absolutely false. We only have a short life to live and there are a myriad of far greater probabilities to worry about.

Or you can think of it another way. If the belief is logically inconsistent and ill defined then it is definitely false.

The existence of an omni-god can be considered impossible using either of the two conditions above.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
18-11-2014, 05:06 PM
Some things such as Tautologies yes... anything beyond that, I don't really think so if you take absolutely to a full absolute stance. Certainty doesn't play into it to me, it's just absolutes in this case which are rather dumb anyway.

Say we are looking at a piece of matter, an atom or anything in particular. To truly know it with absolute measure to me would be to know everything about it. Maybe we know everything that it would have a purpose and is capable of doing, sure but we might never find the deepest internal sector and potential views of it from all ranges of light or sensations of other degrees that can be interacted with it.

But the answer to Hovid is... We don't know, and it's a positive attribute to not know.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
18-11-2014, 05:13 PM
(18-11-2014 01:24 PM)OddGamer Wrote:  Was watching a YT vid of Eric Hovind (who I want to slap every time he opens his mouth), in which he asks the question 'can we ever know anything with absolute certainty'. The crux being, if you say no, he'll ask 'are you absolutely certain'.

However it occurs to me that the answer should be 'yes' anyway. My reasoning is this. Certainty is a measure of confidence, not accuracy. We can be entirely confident of our answer... and still be wrong. It is, therefore, best to assume we can never prove anything beyond doubt in order to prevent being blinded by undeserved confidence in a position.

We could do a double on this:
The only constant is change.
The only thing we can be certain of is our uncertainty.

What think ye?

I'd say to Hovind that I know only two things with an absolute assurance: Death and the fact that circular arguments are retarded.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
18-11-2014, 05:19 PM
Yes, of course we can.

[Image: SaveTime.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
18-11-2014, 05:25 PM
The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
~something like that, famous philosopher.

Shy
[+] 5 users Like LadyJane's post