Can we know for certain?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2014, 05:31 PM
RE: Can we know for certain?
You cannot be absolutely certain that nothing can be known with true certainty. That logical trap has no teeth. We don't behave as if we "know" anything, nobody does. We express varying degrees of confidence based on observations and assumptions.

That is the very foundation of skepticism. You can be wrong about anything, including being wrong about being wrong. Now prove what you came to prove or shut up - I have other things to be less than truly certain about.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-11-2014, 05:33 PM
Re: RE: Can we know for certain?
(18-11-2014 05:25 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
~something like that, famous philosopher.

Shy

Here are various quotes :

The more I learn, the more I learn how little I know. -- Socrates

The more you know, the less you understand. -- Lao-Tse

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know. -- Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like Clockwork's post
18-11-2014, 05:38 PM
I'm absolutely sure, I'm not absolutely sure about anything.

Dodgy

I think that made more sense in my head.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
18-11-2014, 05:50 PM
(18-11-2014 02:03 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  There are some things that we cannot know 100% but you would have to outlive the lifetime of the universe for the chance of it happening. For example, a cold cup of coffee suddenly heating up by itself beyond room temperature.

If the probability of something being true is negligible then it should be considered for all intents and purposes absolutely false. We only have a short life to live and there are a myriad of far greater probabilities to worry about.

Or you can think of it another way. If the belief is logically inconsistent and ill defined then it is definitely false.

The existence of an omni-god can be considered impossible using either of the two conditions above.
A logically derived consideration irrespective of any inherent truth will be valid in accordance with the correct application, not true.
Negligible probability criteria makes such assumptions pragmatically next to useless in the main...
18-11-2014, 07:10 PM
(18-11-2014 05:33 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(18-11-2014 05:25 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
~something like that, famous philosopher.

Shy

Here are various quotes :

The more I learn, the more I learn how little I know. -- Socrates

The more you know, the less you understand. -- Lao-Tse

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know. -- Albert Einstein

Cool. Then I can claim my version as my own. Smartass
18-11-2014, 07:14 PM
I can be absolutely certain of only one thing: I'm experiencing something. I can't be certain of what I am, or what the thing I'm experiencing is but they are both definitely things.

Everything else requires assumptions but they're reasonable assumptions to make. I am not a mind dreaming itself: I am interacting with something called matter. Other people exist; they are interacting with something called matter in a similar way and c.

So frankly it's kind of a stupid question. No. We can't be certain of anything else. So what?

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
18-11-2014, 07:49 PM
(18-11-2014 07:14 PM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  I can be absolutely certain of only one thing: I'm experiencing something.

Unless you're a dick like Eric Hovind. Then he'll point out that if you are certain of one thing you are certain of an infinite number of things. Specifically if you are certain of X, then you are also certain you are, in fact, certain of X. Which also means you're certain that you're certain that you're certain of X. ...

Not calling you a dick, not advocating this position, just doing massive amounts of brain destroying drugs to think like the mentally stifled child Eric Hovind is.
[+] 1 user Likes OddGamer's post
19-11-2014, 05:02 AM
The only thing we're certain about is: I exist.

The rest is open for interpretation, even death might be an illusion. But it's more handy to assume things are the way they are, also according to the evidence, because living as these things were real, well, it works.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
19-11-2014, 05:32 AM
the only thing we can know with absolute certainty is that we exist

19-11-2014, 05:38 AM
Seeing as we're finite beings in a universe many times bigger and more complex than we are, and seeing as we just have these pipsqueak brains that are good for making a plan to get food and can do a few other cool tricks, I don't see how the fuck we can know anything with absolute confidence, but that sure as shit doesn't mean that Hovind gets a free pass to peddle his crap.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.