Can we prove that Jesus didn't have power?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2015, 03:21 AM
Can we prove that Jesus didn't have power?
Are there any eyewitness historical accounts that deny that Jesus had powers?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2015, 03:28 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2015 03:44 AM by EvolutionKills.)
RE: Can we prove that Jesus didn't have power?
(12-04-2015 03:21 AM)TruthFire Wrote:  Are there any eyewitness historical accounts that deny that Jesus had powers?

You're asking the wrong question.

Are there any eyewitness historical accounts that attest that Jesus even existed?

No.

You might want to start with substantiating existence before you attempt defending miracle claims... Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 6 users Like EvolutionKills's post
12-04-2015, 03:53 AM
Are any eyewitness historical accounts that deny that the "Flying Spaghetti Monster" had powers? Because I read that: "His Majestic Spaghetti Monster expanded his elastic pasta forth and wove a confusing conundrum for the health and happiness of his hapless children!"
12-04-2015, 04:19 AM
It's hard to enough to demonstrate he existed at all. Even if we had eye witness reports of him doing something amazing, that is not sufficient evidence that it really happened as described. Nor can the eye witnesses' arguments from ignorance as to a supernatural explanation be taken seriously.

But as it happens, no eye witnesses.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
12-04-2015, 04:49 AM
What kind of question is this in the title of the thread? It's like saying "Prove the force of Star Wars didn't exist".

Nothing to disprove. Science says you need to sets of DNA to manifest to the birth of a baby, thus makes the virgin birth story bullshit. Science also says you don't survive all your blood being drained from your body, die and come back to life days later.

It is a myth regardless of who started the Christian religion. We can also see real cities in Superman movies but science does not allow men the super powers of that fictional character.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
12-04-2015, 05:08 AM
Can you disprove that I have a magical invisible dragon that will haunt you in the afterlife if you don't give me all your money?

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
[+] 3 users Like Alex K's post
12-04-2015, 05:37 AM
There's scores of guys in prison that could tell you a hard truth ----

Eyewitness testimonies are notoriously unreliable....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
12-04-2015, 05:38 AM
Generally, yes, eye witness testimony is very unreliable.

But it turns out that fiftieth hand hearsay accounts from 2000 years ago are actually infallible, and any conclusions drawn by those accounts are also true and need no further evidence.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 3 users Like Robvalue's post
12-04-2015, 05:43 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2015 06:50 AM by CleverUsername.)
Why would there be accounts denying someone has powers? If someone doesn't have powers, they're an average Joe who isn't worth writing about, and the idea of them having powers will never cross people's minds. There's nothing to eyewitness.

I mean, there's nothing denying I have powers, either. It just hasn't come up.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
12-04-2015, 05:46 AM
(12-04-2015 05:37 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  There's scores of guys in prison that could tell you a hard truth ----

Eyewitness testimonies are notoriously unreliable....

Yep, and in a very literal evolutionary context that is because our species perceptions of reality are notoriously flawed. The antelope on the African plain in doesn't always have the time to assess if the swaying grass is wind, or a lion hiding in wait. Our pattern seeking far more often than not involves gap filling. religion is a result of that gap filling.

In Dawkin's "The God Delusion" he describes it as "The moth mistaking the light bulb for the moonlight". We evolved to seek patterns, but we also did so in ignorance so we created social orders off of very bad guesses. The ancient Egyptians were, for example, successful for 3,000 years centered around their fictional polytheistic gods they truly thought were real.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37