Poll: Can the bomber be rehabilitated to be useful to the better evolution of our wonderful society?
yes, the bomber can be a commendable person of society
no, the bomber is not worth our time and efforts, and should be executed expeditiously, like Timothy McVeigh
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Can we rehabilitate the convicted?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2013, 11:01 PM
RE: Can we rehabilitate the convicted?
(17-04-2013 05:29 PM)BryanS Wrote:  I generally oppose the death penalty, but committing acts designed to inflict mass casualty and death is beyond the help of rehabilitation. I don't care why they did it, and I don't care to help them.

I trust you are also in favor of executing all the soldiers who have dropped bombs from airplanes, tossed hand grenades in to occupied buildings, etc along with all of the military leaders and civilian politicians who have orchestrated these actions.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-04-2013, 11:08 PM
(21-04-2013 11:01 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(17-04-2013 05:29 PM)BryanS Wrote:  I generally oppose the death penalty, but committing acts designed to inflict mass casualty and death is beyond the help of rehabilitation. I don't care why they did it, and I don't care to help them.

I trust you are also in favor of executing all the soldiers who have dropped bombs from airplanes, tossed hand grenades in to occupied buildings, etc along with all of the military leaders and civilian politicians who have orchestrated these actions.

We were talking about committing crimes, not waging war. But that said, if the military intentionally targeted civilians with those tactics (and not incidental to a primary military target) yes I would. I'm pretty sure that would meet the definition of a war-crime.
Find all posts by this user
21-04-2013, 11:27 PM
(21-04-2013 11:08 PM)BryanS Wrote:  We were talking about committing crimes, not waging war.

What difference is there to the dead? Or for that matter, what difference is there at all?

When George Bush gets mad at another political figure and sends thousands of innocent men & women to murder thousands of other innocent men, women and children, is it not still murder?

If I steal your car, is it just of you to kill my wife? If not, why not? And how is that different than what political leaders do to the innocents they rule or the innocents of other states?

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
21-04-2013, 11:35 PM
(21-04-2013 11:27 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 11:08 PM)BryanS Wrote:  We were talking about committing crimes, not waging war.

What difference is there to the dead? Or for that matter, what difference is there at all?

When George Bush gets mad at another political figure and sends thousands of innocent men & women to murder thousands of other innocent men, women and children, is it not still murder?

If I steal your car, is it just of you to kill my wife? If not, why not? And how is that different than what political leaders do to the innocents they rule or the innocents of other states?

No difference to the dead. What difference is it to the dead when a doctor fails to save his or her patient? But there is a difference between killing and murder. The latter requires 'malice aforethought'.
22-04-2013, 12:07 AM
(21-04-2013 11:35 PM)BryanS Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 11:27 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  What difference is there to the dead? Or for that matter, what difference is there at all?

No difference to the dead. What difference is it to the dead when a doctor fails to save his or her patient? But there is a difference between killing and murder. The latter requires 'malice aforethought'.

My questions were related to war and crime, not killing and murder.

22-04-2013, 10:34 AM
(21-04-2013 09:37 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  Don't religions force people how to think and behave - isn't that one of the atheist arguments against religion???

Doesn't rehab indoctrinate people as to how to think and behave - you think rehab is something other than that?

In that way you could say being "forced" to live by any kind of code is like a religion. Laws, rules, customs are not necessarily equivalent to religion you know.
22-04-2013, 03:46 PM
(17-04-2013 02:01 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  You know, whenever I feel hope for the human race... all I need do is read a TrainWreck post... and balance is reestablished. Angel

Allow me to reiterate HoC's comment in visual media form:

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
22-04-2013, 06:19 PM (This post was last modified: 23-04-2013 08:44 AM by TrainWreck.)
(22-04-2013 10:34 AM)Atheist in Westeros Wrote:  In that way you could say being "forced" to live by any kind of code is like a religion.

You're catching on

(22-04-2013 10:34 AM)Atheist in Westeros Wrote:  Laws, rules, customs are not necessarily equivalent to religion you know.

So, what is it that you use to distinguish the difference - that there is a non-existent god described to be an authority, or something???

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool