Can we stop blaming Trump?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2017, 05:27 PM
RE: Can we stop blaming Trump?
(23-03-2017 04:17 PM)skyking Wrote:  With oversight yes, but that's not what the entrepeneurs want to do. Oversight = more big government meddling. Without the feds looking out for us, it is a disaster waiting to happen.
People get all worked up about state's rights and the big bad feds, but that's all that stands between you and some really nasty crap happening in your backyard. If one state is lax, it will pay tor truck the nasties to there from everywhere else. Only the folks at the top of the heap will profit from that.

If I'm correctly interpreting your comment about the US federal government overseeing any of the individual states' functions re entrepreneurial development, then it's precisely the opposite here in Australia.

At the moment, our feds have failed to stop development of a massive coal mine in the state of Queensland—against the wishes of the Australian electorate—but instead are supporting the Queensland state government's own favourable legislation. They're going build the AU$22 billion mine this year along with a 389 kilometre heavy haul rail line to a coastal port adjacent to the already dying Great Barrier Reef.

Unfortunately, our current federal Liberal government is in bed with the multinational corporatists, so we're now living under what's called a "coporatocracy". Democracy is long dead downunder. And in this instance, the feds are siding with the bad guys. Angry

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like SYZ's post
23-03-2017, 05:37 PM
ouch Sad
24-03-2017, 07:25 AM
(23-03-2017 05:27 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Unfortunately, our current federal Liberal government is in bed with the multinational corporatists, so we're now living under what's called a "coporatocracy". Democracy is long dead downunder. And in this instance, the feds are siding with the bad guys. Angry
The same can be said for the US or virtually all Western democracies. Another term is "plutocracy".

If the US had elected Sanders we would have had a fighting chance, but even there, I think the Good Ol' Boys' building resentment at their loss of hegemony would have still been exploitable by the corporatists and the backlash would have merely been delayed. And by Good Ol' Boys I don't just mean southern Bible Belt rednecks, I mean denizens of corporate boardrooms and private golf courses. The latter merely exploit the uneducated and unaware.

In my view, it's now too late to reverse the social, cultural and environmental damage; the most we can hope for is to mitigate it, and that's an increasingly wan hope. The future, in my view, will be some species of dystopian. Probably slow-burn, deniable dystopia like we already have, just entrenched and progressive like an implacable cancer in a heroic and positive-thinking host.

I admit, I did not see this complete a reversal coming; the Trump administration has turned out to exceed most people's worst-case scenarios. It may be that Trump's perfidy will result in his ouster, but then we just have Pence and Ryan and the others who have enough circumspection and subtlety to get away with what Trump openly and unselfconsciously practices.

We Americans don't mind or care what happens in Washington so long as it's deniable. And, it would seem, we barely care even when it's NOT.
[+] 4 users Like mordant's post