Can we talk about PALM READING

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2014, 03:43 PM
RE: Can we talk about PALM READING
It's cold reading, confirmation bias and self fulfillment.

A tarot reader once told me my dead grandfather was saying that my dad was a candidate for a heart attack. Soon after that, his son (my dad's dad is 94 and very much alive) died of a sudden heart attack. For years I made that prediction fit the events in my head but it was just wrong, guesswork and picking up on my reactions.

The thing is, these predictions stay in your mind 20, 30 years, however long it takes, and you find a way to fit the events to them. I know it's bull but I'm still not sure I would let the red haired man ride my motorcycle as I was warned not to.

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-01-2014, 05:00 PM
I went to a palm reader once near campus when I was at uni. First thing she said was "Well take off your pants already. I don't have all night." Blink ... Blink ... Hobo

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
16-01-2014, 05:38 PM
Back in college, they had a bunch of tarot card readers and palmists come to our student center to do free readings. As a joke, a friend took a pen and wrote on his palm, "You're a fake!" The palmist spit on his hand and walked out. We laughed and laughed and laughed!

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-01-2014, 05:54 PM
Ferdi, think entrails.
I've found entrail readings to be much more accurate. Yes

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
16-01-2014, 06:13 PM
(16-01-2014 10:06 AM)Ferdinand Wrote:  So I know a girl who claims she can read palms. Curious, as I was watching her read other peoples' palms, I offered that she could read mine.

Prospects: She basically told me I'm going to make lots and lots and lots of money, though not always faithfully. Like I'll sue for more money that's reasonable, not by actually stealing. She said I'm going to have several jobs, but I'll like all of them, and by the time I choose to retire, I'll seek odd jobs to keep myself from boredom.

Social: She said I'm not going to have a lot friends (I already don't), my family's going to be shit (not that they already aren't) and my marriages are going to be tough and not very long-lasting (wooooo going to be alone forever). Specifically, I'm going to have few successful marriages, but they'll all end short. The only good thing she really said was that I'm going to meet people that will bring me some of the best memories of my life, but (and here's where the good part ends) they'll never stay.

Waaay fucking depressing. Shy

I kind of think of palm readers as psychics and shit. This may already be a topic somewhere, but I'm making it a new topic. What do you guys thing about my depressing future and palm reading?

Ah yes, palm reading. Another of the many arts frequently in the employ of hucksters and undiagnosed psychotics.

I wouldn't end up too 'depressed' over the rantings of a palm reader, or any other supposed 'psychic'; their 'arts' have no mechanisms by which they are supposed to work which demonstrably exist in reality or could actually affect the outcome of their hustle routine.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
16-01-2014, 07:26 PM
[Image: flow-shows-off-inner-lip-palm-tattoos.jpg]