Can we talk about this bullshit for a sec thanks.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
22-09-2016, 11:35 AM
RE: Can we talk about this bullshit for a sec thanks.
(22-09-2016 10:46 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(22-09-2016 10:38 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I'll take privacy, please.

Thank you.

Yes

Just curious, why? If all the government is doing is searching for bad people, why would you care if they're in your business?

I've been bad.

Blush

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
22-09-2016, 11:38 AM
(22-09-2016 10:46 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(22-09-2016 10:38 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I'll take privacy, please.

Thank you.

Yes

Just curious, why? If all the government is doing is searching for bad people, why would you care if they're in your business?

If. And even then I see no reason for which gov should be able to look into my internet search history for example. I preffer privacy over "security" from overblown threats.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
22-09-2016, 12:02 PM
(22-09-2016 11:35 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I've been bad.

Blush
Ah, well that explains it, LOL! Tsk tsk. Angel

(22-09-2016 11:38 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  If. And even then I see no reason for which gov should be able to look into my internet search history for example. I preffer privacy over "security" from overblown threats.
Fair point on the "if", but as far as I know nothing Snowden exposed revealed otherwise. As for "overblown", that's based on the "it will never happen to me" fallacy. First of all, that's not guaranteed. Second, it's beside the point. It's a fact that there will be victims of terrorist attacks. Just because you might not be one of the victims doesn't make it any less important that those attacks be stopped. The government can't be very selective about what they look at without serious risk of overlooking something crucial. There are dangerous people searching the internet for ways to make bombs - that's why they have to look into everyone's internet search history.

Keep in mind, they can't really read everyone's data. They would have to start with huge database searches for keywords to narrow down what they would look at in detail. So they wouldn't be reading your personal information unless you did something that caused a flag in their database searches - like DLJ, for example. Smartass

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
22-09-2016, 12:31 PM
(22-09-2016 12:02 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(22-09-2016 11:35 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I've been bad.

Blush
Ah, well that explains it, LOL! Tsk tsk. Angel

(22-09-2016 11:38 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  If. And even then I see no reason for which gov should be able to look into my internet search history for example. I preffer privacy over "security" from overblown threats.
Fair point on the "if", but as far as I know nothing Snowden exposed revealed otherwise. As for "overblown", that's based on the "it will never happen to me" fallacy. First of all, that's not guaranteed. Second, it's beside the point. It's a fact that there will be victims of terrorist attacks. Just because you might not be one of the victims doesn't make it any less important that those attacks be stopped. The government can't be very selective about what they look at without serious risk of overlooking something crucial. There are dangerous people searching the internet for ways to make bombs - that's why they have to look into everyone's internet search history.

Keep in mind, they can't really read everyone's data. They would have to start with huge database searches for keywords to narrow down what they would look at in detail. So they wouldn't be reading your personal information unless you did something that caused a flag in their database searches - like DLJ, for example. Smartass

I might have missed it, but has the NSA successfully stopped ANY terror plots with their spying? I was pretty sure that was a big fat no, but I could be wrong, haven't been paying much attention lately.

"just an FYI: There are 2 kinds of people in the world -- those who divide everybody into 2 kinds of people & those who don't." Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes MustangManda's post
22-09-2016, 12:44 PM
Data is one of the most precious resources this planet has to offer now.

Call me jaded but I don't believe that with all this immense amount of information that is collected that they just store it away and its never used for anything unless your "bad".

There isnt some superhero and morally clean types monitoring all of this data, even the term "bad" can be hard to define.

Of course its all perfectly legal, thats why the NSA and GCHQ are in such close partnership that they circumnavigate laws in how they operate with each other.

Its easy saying "I have nothing to hide" but imagine if it was phsyical. Imagine a person physically looking over your shoulder looking at everything you do on the internet, imagine them listening in when you make every single phone call, imagine them knowing every single financial transaction that you do and that they NEVER forget any of it FOREVER.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
22-09-2016, 01:44 PM
(22-09-2016 12:31 PM)MustangManda Wrote:  I might have missed it, but has the NSA successfully stopped ANY terror plots with their spying? I was pretty sure that was a big fat no, but I could be wrong, haven't been paying much attention lately.
There have been terrorist plots that have been stopped due to intelligence. I don't know for sure if the information collected by the NSA specifically was part of that intelligence, but it seems strongly possible.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
22-09-2016, 01:57 PM (This post was last modified: 22-09-2016 02:18 PM by Szuchow.)
(22-09-2016 12:02 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Fair point on the "if", but as far as I know nothing Snowden exposed revealed otherwise.

I didn't have Snowden in mind when I wrote this.

Quote: As for "overblown", that's based on the "it will never happen to me" fallacy.

As for overblown look on Poland new "anti-terrorist" law and ammount of terrorist attacks there.

Quote: First of all, that's not guaranteed. Second, it's beside the point. It's a fact that there will be victims of terrorist attacks. Just because you might not be one of the victims doesn't make it any less important that those attacks be stopped.

Just because there is some alleged threat it does not give the gov right to look into private info.

Quote: The government can't be very selective about what they look at without serious risk of overlooking something crucial. There are dangerous people searching the internet for ways to make bombs - that's why they have to look into everyone's internet search history.

Gov can't be very selective, otherwise it might not be able to find info for blackmail or something unrelated to terrorist activity that can be used later.

As for dangerous people - there also are "dangerous people" who want to expose dirty shit gov is into and that's I'm suspect is real reason for wanting to look through people data.

Quote: Keep in mind, they can't really read everyone's data. They would have to start with huge database searches for keywords to narrow down what they would look at in detail. So they wouldn't be reading your personal information unless you did something that caused a flag in their database searches - like DLJ, for example. Smartass

Them storing said data is not something that I approve. Also "did something that caused flag" - who said that something must be terrorist activity?

I realize that it all might sound paranoic but it is really paranoia to suspect nationalist gov with conspiracy nuts in it of ill will when looking for alleged threat? Especially in light of new, heavilly crificized "anti-terrorist" law.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
22-09-2016, 09:28 PM
Quote:Was there another way to do it?

It's called proper channels.

Quote:It was a brave thing that snowden did and I believe everybody has a right to know how the governments operate and monitor their populous.

The media are indeed hipocrites, all of the major news outlets are just cogs in a machine that serves as a propoganda tool. Im sure if they could of gotten away with initially not reporting the whole snowden incidient I think they would.

No such thing as "free press" anymore.

Especially in the States. Every news outlet is owned by some big billion dog who wants to fling his propaganda shit everywhere. Fox. CNN. Whatever the fuck.

Luckily the trustworthiness of big news channels is quickly decreasing as less and less people trust what they have to say.

I think this gives news channels like Al Jazeera a good chance to step in and wave the "look at us, we're neutral" flag.

Quote:well how the fuck do you think they got the intelligence?

Warrants for phone taps, warrants for searching buildings, inside people. etc..
They sure is titty christ don't get it by reading my emails.

Quote:You can't have it both ways.

Yes you can.

Quote:You either want your protection or you want your privacy

What are you Fox News now?
Why?? Why does it have to be one or the other?? That's right wing propaganda with no basis. Please show me why it must be one or the other and why can't just have both (as the taco girl says).

Quote:Now if the NSA was publicizing or otherwise abusing peoples' private information that would be different. But simply reviewing it? Whoop-de-fucking-do!

Oh ok, I'll just come over to your house and have a good rummage around then.
It's ok because I won't tell anyone what I found.

Quote:Some people actually think what Snowden did was the right thing to do? You gotta be fucking kidding me! Dodgy

What he did ultimately was the right thing to do (even though I think the way he went about it was wrong). What the US government was doing was illegal and the public did need to know. There's reasons why courts have to issue warrants. There's reasons why the US isn't considered an authoritarian military dictatorship.

Lib-er-ty, look it the fuck up.

Quote:Just curious, why? If all the government is doing is searching for bad people, why would you care if they're in your business?

Because it's our fucking rights to not have them illegally interfering with our business. Just because you're not doing anything wrong doesn't mean you have any less rights.

Quote:that's why they have to look into everyone's internet search history.

No that's fucking stupid.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
22-09-2016, 10:03 PM
(22-09-2016 12:44 PM)bemore Wrote:  Data is one of the most precious resources this planet has to offer now.

Call me jaded but I don't believe that with all this immense amount of information that is collected that they just store it away and its never used for anything unless your "bad".

There isnt some superhero and morally clean types monitoring all of this data, even the term "bad" can be hard to define.

Of course its all perfectly legal, thats why the NSA and GCHQ are in such close partnership that they circumnavigate laws in how they operate with each other.

Its easy saying "I have nothing to hide" but imagine if it was phsyical. Imagine a person physically looking over your shoulder looking at everything you do on the internet, imagine them listening in when you make every single phone call, imagine them knowing every single financial transaction that you do and that they NEVER forget any of it FOREVER.

Plus there was that whole bit where the NSA had created a virus/trojan that could operate webcams and microphones attached to computers and laptops without the user knowing. What did they get out of that? A fuck ton of nude picks of innocent citizens, that the intelligence officers all had a good frat house chuckle over, but no terrorists.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
23-09-2016, 09:20 AM
If anyone tries to turn on my video, they won't see dick. I have tape over it. How's that for paranoid?