Can we talk about this bullshit for a sec thanks.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
25-09-2016, 05:43 PM
RE: Can we talk about this bullshit for a sec thanks.
Of course not. Why would I have access to such information. But even if it's zero, can you predict the future?

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-09-2016, 09:07 PM
(25-09-2016 04:51 PM)Impulse Wrote:  If you mean the government is hyping terrorism, I don't think so. There have been enough attacks to support the reality.

Remember that we live in different countries. I think that people rulling mine country aren't even hyping the threat, they're inventing it to justify authoritarian measures. Poland is too insignificant to be threatened by terrorists I would say. But zealous politicians and laws that easily allow for silencing opposition are much more probable.

Enough attacks to justify such measures? I don't think so.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
25-09-2016, 09:59 PM
(25-09-2016 05:43 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Of course not. Why would I have access to such information. But even if it's zero, can you predict the future?

Don't you think that given the controversy, such an event would be newsworthy? Sanitized intelligence hits the press all the time.

As for your appeal to the hypothetical, I'm unwilling to trade my actual rights for hypothetical security. 'Tis a weak argument indeed. You may as well never leave home, for fear of what might happen to you.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
25-09-2016, 10:41 PM
(25-09-2016 11:58 AM)Impulse Wrote:  I never said because others are doing the same thing that it makes it right. What I was saying is that it makes it necessary.

I think it's unnecessary. You say there've been "enough" terrorist attacks to justify such draconian measures, I say that your government and others are simply unable to resist doing it because it's so easy. They have electronic communications which are easy to listen in on and computers to crunch the data. Never before in history has the opportunity for mass surveillance of one's own citizens been so great. So terrorists are very useful because despite only killing a few people relatively speaking they give you a lovely justification. As Szuchow said, if this was 50 years ago the justification would be communists, or some other invented threat.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
25-09-2016, 10:46 PM
(25-09-2016 09:07 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(25-09-2016 04:51 PM)Impulse Wrote:  If you mean the government is hyping terrorism, I don't think so. There have been enough attacks to support the reality.

Remember that we live in different countries. I think that people rulling mine country aren't even hyping the threat, they're inventing it to justify authoritarian measures. Poland is too insignificant to be threatened by terrorists I would say. But zealous politicians and laws that easily allow for silencing opposition are much more probable.

Enough attacks to justify such measures? I don't think so.
The freedom grab in the US was sickening post-9/11
It is so chickenshit to give in to these terrorists. They win evry time we give ground on freedoms.
[+] 7 users Like skyking's post
25-09-2016, 11:50 PM
(25-09-2016 10:41 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(25-09-2016 11:58 AM)Impulse Wrote:  I never said because others are doing the same thing that it makes it right. What I was saying is that it makes it necessary.

I think it's unnecessary. You say there've been "enough" terrorist attacks to justify such draconian measures, I say that your government and others are simply unable to resist doing it because it's so easy. They have electronic communications which are easy to listen in on and computers to crunch the data. Never before in history has the opportunity for mass surveillance of one's own citizens been so great. So terrorists are very useful because despite only killing a few people relatively speaking they give you a lovely justification. As Szuchow said, if this was 50 years ago the justification would be communists, or some other invented threat.

See Also: McCarthyism & Red Scare

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
26-09-2016, 12:51 AM
(25-09-2016 10:41 PM)morondog Wrote:  You say there've been "enough" terrorist attacks to justify such draconian measures, I say that your government and others are simply unable to resist doing it because it's so easy. They have electronic communications which are easy to listen in on and computers to crunch the data. Never before in history has the opportunity for mass surveillance of one's own citizens been so great.

Winston Churchill Wrote:But if we fail, then the whole world, including the United States, including all that we have known and cared for, will sink into the abyss of a new dark age made more sinister, and perhaps more protracted, by the lights of perverted science.

Nietszche Wrote:Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster... for when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Yeah.
[+] 5 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
26-09-2016, 12:55 AM
Oh, and another quote --

Zapata Wrote:I'd rather die on my feet, than live on my knees.

Any atheist worth his salt should get that one.
[+] 6 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
26-09-2016, 01:06 AM (This post was last modified: 26-09-2016 01:34 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(26-09-2016 12:55 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Oh, and another quote --

Zapata Wrote:I'd rather die on my feet, than live on my knees.

Themistocles and Artemisia Wrote:You offered freedom without consequence or responsibility.
Are you accepting my offer?
My answer is still no!

Cue them trying to kill each other.

Themistocles and Artemisia Wrote:Surrender to me, or meet your death!
Who would you fight if not for me? No one could challenge your skill. I would rather die a free man than live as a slave, even if the chain was attached to you.

This movie was so much smarter and better than it had any right to be, and still way better than the original.

And one of the best emasculating lines ever.

Artemisia Wrote:You fight much harder than you fuck!

[Image: familyguynutkick0zo.gif]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
26-09-2016, 01:26 AM
(26-09-2016 01:06 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(26-09-2016 12:55 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Oh, and another quote --

Themistocles to Artemisia Wrote:I would rather die free than live as a slave.
Even if the chain was attached to you.

This movie was so much smarter and better than it had any right to be, and still way better than the original.

And that is the battle waged here, is it not? The chains might be electronic, not steel, the restrictions subtle enough to lay inroads. But submission is still submission.

Giving permission to the government to violate the rules that it promised to itself abide by is a surrender we cannot afford.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post