Can you NOT still be an atheist after watching this?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4 Average
20-04-2010, 05:34 AM
Can you NOT still be an atheist after watching this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz8R2IRc3...re=related

Why are religionists so naive as to actually think that an atheist would be convinced by that?

All learning is quite useless if you haven't learned to question what you learn.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-04-2010, 07:52 AM

RE: Can you NOT still be an atheist after watching this?
(20-04-2010 05:34 AM)Juppers Wrote:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz8R2IRc3...re=related

Why are religionists so naive as to actually think that an atheist would be convinced by that?

If god 'created' all of us, aren't we ALL sons and daughters of god?

Also, Strobel makes a ton of assumptions that reek of stupidity...

His arguments aren't convincing at all...he's spewing the same crap every other fundie (i.e. Craig et. al.) spews out during debates.

If I could make a suggestion to all of them, it would be 'read something other than the bible for once'.
Quote this message in a reply
20-04-2010, 08:09 AM
I was amused by the title. It sounded as if something totally miraculous and unheard of was being conveyed in this video. I watched and failed to see anything special about it, just the same old crap I'd heard time and again and which falls short of proving anything, or even being in any way impressive. It is nothing but a crass overstament, but I laughed heartily at how overconfident some can be about the power of their religion.

All learning is quite useless if you haven't learned to question what you learn.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Someone deserves to be slapped. Circular logic is not logic. The bible cannot be truly, simply because it claims itself to be true.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
20-04-2010, 10:57 PM

An interesting thing I kind of deducted on my own, although I'm sure somebody else has thought of it too, is that if Christians are even slightly intelligent then they know about DNA. If Eve came from Adam's rib, then they share the same DNA, or at least similar. And when they had children, all their children would have been inbred and mutations would have been substantially prominent. Not sure how well that holds up, just thought I'd add it.
21-04-2010, 05:56 PM

Also, circular logic can be logic. If the two things or more being involved are already proven, the circle could be used to further compliment how true both are. Christians misuse circular reasoning. I find it more suitable to refer to their reasoning as "circular ignorance"
22-04-2010, 08:44 AM

(20-04-2010 10:57 PM)st4rk1ll3r666 Wrote:  An interesting thing I kind of deducted on my own, although I'm sure somebody else has thought of it too, is that if Christians are even slightly intelligent then they know about DNA. If Eve came from Adam's rib, then they share the same DNA, or at least similar. And when they had children, all their children would have been inbred and mutations would have been substantially prominent. Not sure how well that holds up, just thought I'd add it.

This is not a good argument as "inbreeding" does not work like this. You can inbreed two people with similar DNA and get far superior genes as a result.

The problem arrises when both parents have a genetic defect, and the likelyhood of these genes manifesting increases.

Inbreeding is often used to improve the genetic pool but it has its limits. The more you inbreed the more likely it is that any recesive defective gene will manifest.

So if you had two genetically perfect individuals, even if their genes were the same the offspring would still be genetically perfect and problems would only arrise further down the line when random mutation and errors in DNA replication had a chance to occur.
22-04-2010, 06:05 PM
(22-04-2010 08:44 AM)DrNekoDR Wrote:  
(20-04-2010 10:57 PM)st4rk1ll3r666 Wrote:  An interesting thing I kind of deducted on my own, although I'm sure somebody else has thought of it too, is that if Christians are even slightly intelligent then they know about DNA. If Eve came from Adam's rib, then they share the same DNA, or at least similar. And when they had children, all their children would have been inbred and mutations would have been substantially prominent. Not sure how well that holds up, just thought I'd add it.

This is not a good argument as "inbreeding" does not work like this. You can inbreed two people with similar DNA and get far superior genes as a result.

The problem arrises when both parents have a genetic defect, and the likelyhood of these genes manifesting increases.

Inbreeding is often used to improve the genetic pool but it has its limits. The more you inbreed the more likely it is that any recesive defective gene will manifest.

So if you had two genetically perfect individuals, even if their genes were the same the offspring would still be genetically perfect and problems would only arrise further down the line when random mutation and errors in DNA replication had a chance to occur.

True, and besides, the inbreeding occurs even without that, as their children would have have to breed with each other.

St4rk1ll3r666 brings up something that is later failed to be mentioned. He/she is right, Eve would be a clone of Adam. So, where did the second X chromosome that females have come from, and where did the Y go? Along with all other genes that would have to vary with a change-of-gender.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
23-04-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:True, and besides, the inbreeding occurs even without that, as their children would have have to breed with each other.

St4rk1ll3r666 brings up something that is later failed to be mentioned. He/she is right, Eve would be a clone of Adam. So, where did the second X chromosome that females have come from, and where did the Y go? Along with all other genes that would have to vary with a change-of-gender.

Actually, the feat of changing genes around would be nothing for a creature who can create matter and manipulate it at his will. What is more interesting is how Eve would have had to be made first.

The Y chromosome is a mutation of an X chromosome. If you ever saw Jurasic Park you must have heard this, "All embryos are inherently female". The production of Testosterone at a key moment in development causes one of the X's arms to atrophy and look like a "Y".

So from a genetic standpoint the argument against Adam being made first would be much stronger.
23-04-2010, 03:39 PM
(23-04-2010 07:15 AM)DrNekoDR Wrote:  Actually, the feat of changing genes around would be nothing for a creature who can create matter and manipulate it at his will. What is more interesting is how Eve would have had to be made first.

The Y chromosome is a mutation of an X chromosome. If you ever saw Jurasic Park you must have heard this, "All embryos are inherently female". The production of Testosterone at a key moment in development causes one of the X's arms to atrophy and look like a "Y".

So from a genetic standpoint the argument against Adam being made first would be much stronger.

The thing about the bible, is that it's all based around the idea of an all-powerful god. So, he could do whatever he wanted. Doesn't make he real though.