Can you challenge societal norms without looking like a crazy asshole?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2012, 10:24 AM
Can you challenge societal norms without looking like a crazy asshole?
Think about it, if I approached a church group and started telling them that everything they ever thought about the world was wrong and then to top it off explained to them that capitalism is an evil economic system and that america is a mass murdering empire....

How do you explain that to people without seeming like a total asshole that just escaped from the insane asylum?

If there is no way to not seem like an asshole then why try not to be? Why not just come right and say "hey stupid......"

Drinking Beverage
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes I and I's post
17-11-2012, 10:33 AM
RE: Can you challenge societal norms without looking like a crazy asshole?
so what you're saying is that because you lack the charisma to get your point across intelligently, you just go for the crazy routine instead?

Point of advice, whatever crazy routine you've been doing here, it's not working, except in making people think you're a troll.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
17-11-2012, 10:39 AM
(17-11-2012 10:33 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  so what you're saying is that because you lack the charisma to get your point across intelligently, you just go for the crazy routine instead?

Point of advice, whatever crazy routine you've been doing here, it's not working, except in making people think you're a troll.
I don't think you get it, to them you are crazy for even having certain ideas regardless of how you explain them.

And you seem to think you can use charisma and that will work with them?
17-11-2012, 11:09 AM
If you construct a decent arguement backed with legitimate information in detail then people may listen.

There is no guarantee that people will believe you though.

If you want people to respect your views, you have to in turn respect their opposing views, both are just as valid.

Its not a case of who is "right" or "wrong" because like I just said... everything is valid.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
17-11-2012, 11:33 AM
(17-11-2012 11:09 AM)bemore Wrote:  If you construct a decent arguement backed with legitimate information in detail then people may listen.

There is no guarantee that people will believe you though.

If you want people to respect your views, you have to in turn respect their opposing views, both are just as valid.

Its not a case of who is "right" or "wrong" because like I just said... everything is valid.
has that ever happened? that some religious dude just accepts what an atheist says and changes their mind?

I am sure most atheists don't have that happening in their past.
17-11-2012, 01:59 PM
Star RE: Can you challenge societal norms without looking like a crazy asshole?
1. People learn through different methods and means. Your way of "teaching" and their way of "learning" may not be compatible. It's up to the teacher to learn how to communicate. If holding up visual aids to a blind person doesn't work, change your tactic - don't beat them over the head with the board.

It's very time consuming and frustrating to teach. You may have to settle on one method, and learn to seek out people who differ from you, but are susceptible to the teaching method. Meaning, if all you can produce is visual aids, find people who can "see" and/or are not "colour blind".

Again, people have different ways of learning. It's not as literal as I described above, but that's the jist.

2. Don't let this be a crutch, or an excuse to give up, but the very real reality is that some people are broken, or completely set in their ways. They can never be reached, can never be taught. The best you can do is spot them quickly, and redirect your efforts to other people.
[+] 2 users Like PoolBoyG's post
17-11-2012, 02:19 PM (This post was last modified: 17-11-2012 02:26 PM by TrainWreck.)
(17-11-2012 10:24 AM)I and I Wrote:  Think about it, if I approached a church group and started telling them that everything they ever thought about the world was wrong and then to top it off explained to them that capitalism is an evil economic system and that america is a mass murdering empire....

How do you explain that to people without seeming like a total asshole that just escaped from the insane asylum?

If there is no way to not seem like an asshole then why try not to be? Why not just come right and say "hey stupid......"

Dude, I'm trying to explain to atheists on the Internet that enough of what they ever thought about the world is wrong, and causing them to reflect the the erroneousness of the theists logic in atheists thinking that prevents them from advancing their brilliant ideas in society; and then to top it off, I show them that the problem is the erroneous exercise of the Social Contract theory...

How do you explain to atheists that their formation of thought and reason is faulty because of the lack of semantic standards, which is guarded by the defining of a classification system that would reflect the logic of their organized sense of reality (social norms).

And then, I try to explain to them that a more direct control on their formation of thought and reason is further faulty, because of their reverence to an erroneous social contract written two hundred years ago, before the disciplines of social science were established and progressed.

Yeah, how does one explain to the atheists who should know better, without looking like a brilliant asshole??? It may be easier to just call them "stupid," and prove how stupid they are right in front of the Christians.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
17-11-2012, 02:21 PM
(17-11-2012 02:19 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(17-11-2012 10:24 AM)I and I Wrote:  Think about it, if I approached a church group and started telling them that everything they ever thought about the world was wrong and then to top it off explained to them that capitalism is an evil economic system and that america is a mass murdering empire....

Dude, I'm trying to explain to atheists on the Internet that everything they ever thought about the world is wrong, and then to top it off, I show them that the problem is the erroneous exercise of the Social Contract theory...

How do you explain to atheists that their formation of thought and reason is faulty because of the lack of semantic standards, which is guarded by the defining of a classification system that would reflect the logic of their organized sense of reality (social norms).

And then, I try to explain to them that a more direct control on their formation of thought and reason is further faulty, because of their reverence to an erroneous social contract written two hundred years ago, before the disciplines of social science were established and progressed.

Yeah, how does one explain to the atheists who should know better, but they do not???
Maybe if you explained it clearly, instead of ranting with spittle flying from your mouth, we would be able to see the light. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-11-2012, 02:33 PM (This post was last modified: 17-11-2012 02:36 PM by TrainWreck.)
(17-11-2012 01:59 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  1. People learn through different methods and means. Your way of "teaching" and their way of "learning" may not be compatible. It's up to the teacher to learn how to communicate. If holding up visual aids to a blind person doesn't work, change your tactic - don't beat them over the head with the board.

How difficult is it to read the Dewey Decimal System list and realize that it devotes 90% of the Religion domain to Christianity, and that that should be as good an indicator as any to realize that the fucking system is erroneous and needs to be properly peer reviewed by people who do not have a fucking bias.
Quote: Again, people have different ways of learning. It's not as literal as I described above, but that's the jist.

Well, why the fuck can't you get it perfect - why do you have to be so fucking vague, and then expect some mother-fucking idiot to understand what ever it is you are talking about???

Thank you for your scientific reasoning - I'm sure it will do the world a lot of good!!! Weeping

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
17-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Try speaking in words with only one syllable to us. See if that helps.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost