Can you challenge societal norms without looking like a crazy asshole?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2012, 02:42 PM
RE: Can you challenge societal norms without looking like a crazy asshole?
(17-11-2012 02:21 PM)Chas Wrote:  Maybe if you explained it clearly, instead of ranting with spittle flying from your mouth, we would be able to see the light. Drinking Beverage
Listen to me, it is not that difficult.

How the do you plan on eliminating ignorance in this world if you do not standardize the semantic system of language and thought; so you can standardize the dimensions of reality?

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-11-2012, 02:43 PM
(17-11-2012 10:24 AM)I and I Wrote:  Think about it, if I approached a church group and started telling them that everything they ever thought about the world was wrong and then to top it off explained to them that capitalism is an evil economic system and that america is a mass murdering empire....

How do you explain that to people without seeming like a total asshole that just escaped from the insane asylum?

If there is no way to not seem like an asshole then why try not to be? Why not just come right and say "hey stupid......"
I just returned from an anti-government demonstration and I felt exactly like that, except the church part. A demonstration involves lots of people going out of their hand to appear foolish. Have you ever tried clapping, waving, shouting, chanting, when people around aren't doing so too? Just some folks here and there, a few meters away? It feels pretty damn stupid. And I don't have an ego big enough to pull this trick off.
I did speak a couple of minutes into the microphone in front of the crowd, but I did not yell into it, nor did I sing. I just couldn't, though there was a great deal of anonymity. And these were people who pretty much agreed with everything.

As for the religion, there's one way. You can play stupid, so you can ask questions. "I just don't understand that. Why God sacrificed himself to himself? And he resurrected after three days, isn't that cheating? Does that passage make any sense to you? You see, it's a legitimate concern here, after all, I'd have to bet my time, money and reputation on this book. You wouldn't have a faith when buying a car, would you?"

What kind of response would that provoke from someone from a local Church? I have very little experience in playing dumb, I'm more of the smartass jerk type, because it's safe here.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
[+] 1 user Likes Luminon's post
17-11-2012, 02:59 PM
(17-11-2012 02:42 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(17-11-2012 02:21 PM)Chas Wrote:  Maybe if you explained it clearly, instead of ranting with spittle flying from your mouth, we would be able to see the light. Drinking Beverage
Listen to me, it is not that difficult.

How the do you plan on eliminating ignorance in this world if you do not standardize the semantic system of language and thought; so you can standardize the dimensions of reality?
Like I said, if you could just explain it clearly ...

What semantic system of language and thought are you talking about?
What does "standardize the dimensions of reality" mean?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-11-2012, 02:59 PM
Can you challenge societal norms without looking like a crazy asshole?
(17-11-2012 02:59 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-11-2012 02:42 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  Listen to me, it is not that difficult.

Like I said, if you could just explain it clearly ...

What semantic system of language and thought are you talking about?
What does "standardize the dimensions of reality" mean?

The Dewey Decimal system. Where have you been? Dodgy

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
17-11-2012, 06:42 PM
(17-11-2012 10:39 AM)I and I Wrote:  
(17-11-2012 10:33 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  so what you're saying is that because you lack the charisma to get your point across intelligently, you just go for the crazy routine instead?

Point of advice, whatever crazy routine you've been doing here, it's not working, except in making people think you're a troll.
I don't think you get it, to them you are crazy for even having certain ideas regardless of how you explain them.

And you seem to think you can use charisma and that will work with them?
It's not about what will work because like Bemore says, you can't convince everyone.
The fact religion is still on this planet and so strongly is a fact of that.

But having Charisma, as Chas is saying to Trainwreck, is explaining things clearly, not being a total fucktard etc..
It's being less "RAWWWRRRRRRRR!!!!!" and more... Dawkins.
Dawkins is a very good example of how someone with +22 Charisma argues. Calmly and gets his point across (something you need to really really work on).

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
17-11-2012, 08:04 PM
(17-11-2012 06:42 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(17-11-2012 10:39 AM)I and I Wrote:  I don't think you get it, to them you are crazy for even having certain ideas regardless of how you explain them.

And you seem to think you can use charisma and that will work with them?
It's not about what will work because like Bemore says, you can't convince everyone.
The fact religion is still on this planet and so strongly is a fact of that.

But having Charisma, as Chas is saying to Trainwreck, is explaining things clearly, not being a total fucktard etc..
It's being less "RAWWWRRRRRRRR!!!!!" and more... Dawkins.
Dawkins is a very good example of how someone with +22 Charisma argues. Calmly and gets his point across (something you need to really really work on).

I have a prediction concerning the Idiot^2's reply.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_-kKaBdggUCbBUGqvGl6...4i7Le6Hb_w]

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 2 users Like Logica Humano's post
17-11-2012, 08:13 PM
Without looking crazy, probably not.

Without looking like an asshole? That is usually within the individual's control whether or not they come across as a lovable kook, dangerous psychopath, or pompous asshat. Depends on the approach and reasons.

[Image: giphy.gif]
19-11-2012, 12:22 AM
(17-11-2012 10:24 AM)I and I Wrote:  Think about it, if I approached a church group and started telling them that everything they ever thought about the world was wrong and then to top it off explained to them that capitalism is an evil economic system and that america is a mass murdering empire....

How do you explain that to people without seeming like a total asshole that just escaped from the insane asylum?

If there is no way to not seem like an asshole then why try not to be? Why not just come right and say "hey stupid......"

Drinking Beverage

The short answer is to not even try. I am trying to use the system the best that I can and fuck everyone else. I vote to further my agenda. I spend money only on things that are reasonably priced, with few exceptions. Saving money where I can to help myself and my family, instead of immediately dumping it back into the pockets of the rich.