Can you disprove the existence of god?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2013, 11:12 PM
Can you disprove the existence of god?
I've been checking some videos on youtube about arguments of christians and atheists and I came to this one question.

Can we(atheists) disprove the existence of god?

We've been arguing with christians that god does not exist. Nothing can prove his existence and things like that. But what if a christian asks us, "Can you disprove his existence? If not, the why do you choose to deny him?"

How would you guys answer that question?

P.S.
Please don't reply with lengthy answers. I think it'll be better to answer in a concise way.

Thank you! Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2013, 11:20 PM
RE: Can you disprove the existence of god?
You answer by mimicking exACTLY their argument but replacing the word God with the name The Great Pumkin. Never answer a question as if you're actually in a conversation with them even once. Just mirror back everything they say verbatem (with exception to replacing God w/ something else), and never look away from their eyes as you do it.......If you want to be an asshole about it, that is.

[+] 6 users Like TheGulegon's post
05-04-2013, 11:25 PM
(05-04-2013 11:12 PM)GuiltyAngel Wrote:  I've been checking some videos on youtube about arguments of christians and atheists and I came to this one question.

Can we(atheists) disprove the existence of god?

We've been arguing with christians that god does not exist. Nothing can prove his existence and things like that. But what if a christian asks us, "Can you disprove his existence? If not, the why do you choose to deny him?"

How would you guys answer that question?

P.S.
Please don't reply with lengthy answers. I think it'll be better to answer in a concise way.

Thank you! Smile

"We" don't have to disprove anything, "we" aren't making the assertion or claim. "They" have not made their case by showing verifiable proof.

There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies? - Richard Dawkins

Concise enough for you? Consider

"Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.” ~ Ambrose Bierce
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
05-04-2013, 11:27 PM
Two words:

Venn. Diagram.

What'd I win? Angel

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
05-04-2013, 11:40 PM
(05-04-2013 11:27 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Two words:

Venn. Diagram.

What'd I win? Angel

How about some lube and a picture of Gwynnies?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
05-04-2013, 11:40 PM
(05-04-2013 11:40 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(05-04-2013 11:27 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Two words:

Venn. Diagram.

What'd I win? Angel

How about some lube and a picture of Gwynnies?

Got that. In spades... Dodgy

05-04-2013, 11:41 PM
It's just sometimes, even respect of our views is very hard to ask from them. The more you try to explain logical reasons, they'd come back at you with reasons that're only based on their opinion and experience which they think is enough to believe in God. So, you have to give a heavy statement to make them shut up, you know what I mean? But I guess it's impossible, so maybe just something that would leave them speechless for a moment or make them pause and think.
05-04-2013, 11:42 PM
(05-04-2013 11:40 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(05-04-2013 11:40 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  How about some lube and a picture of Gwynnies?

Got that. In spades... Dodgy

Using a spade sounds kinky, but rather dangerous, I'd guess.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
05-04-2013, 11:46 PM
(05-04-2013 11:41 PM)GuiltyAngel Wrote:  It's just sometimes, even respect of our views is very hard to ask from them. The more you try to explain logical reasons, they'd come back at you with reasons that're only based on their opinion and experience which they think is enough to believe in God. So, you have to give a heavy statement to make them shut up, you know what I mean? But I guess it's impossible, so maybe just something that would leave them speechless for a moment or make them pause and think.

Part of what the Venn diagram is about. They have an emotional investment in "god as (personal) identity." I have found that many atheists overlook this basic fact, that when we attack god, we attack them.

Of course, here; fuckers deserve an attack. In the real world, however, it is good (compassionate) to realize this investment. Thumbsup

[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
05-04-2013, 11:53 PM
Would saying, "Nothing can prove nor disprove the existence of god." a safe answer?