Can you disprove the existence of god?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-04-2013, 11:27 AM
RE: Can you disprove the existence of god?
(05-04-2013 11:12 PM)GuiltyAngel Wrote:  Can we(atheists) disprove the existence of god?

P.S.
Please don't reply with lengthy answers. I think it'll be better to answer in a concise way.

Thank you! Smile

My coffee cup disproves god. (that brief enough for ya)
If you don't believe me, prove me wrong.

An assertion without evidence is just as believable as any other assertion without evidence.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
06-04-2013, 11:41 AM
Evidence can be provided that humans predate the first mention of any god by hundreds of thousands of years. These gods and their attributes can also be linguistically and culturally linked, showing that some are based on earlier models. Additionally, creation myths from various holy books can be disproven based on what modern science tells us about the universe.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like ghostexorcist's post
06-04-2013, 04:57 PM
You don't have to disprove god or anything of the like. Burden of proof. Thats all you have to say. Burden of proof.
Burden of proof in a nut shell states that those trying to claim something, in this case the existance of god, need to put forth their proof. You do not have to disprove anything until they put forth evidence. Then you can refute their evidence, but pretaining to god, it will never get that far.
And also, no you can not prove something does NOT exist.

You can argue with logic all you want, but if you put faulty data in to start with then you get a faulty answer. No matter how logically you agrue it.
[+] 1 user Likes Mynamesukx's post
07-04-2013, 07:22 AM
Thanks for all the answers guys. I really appreciate them. Smile
Thumbsup

I can see the point some of you are making but I can't get some of them though. Haha!

You see, I'm from the Philippines and just for you guys to know, Philippines is a very religious country. Religion here varies Muslims and so many branches of Christianity. I'm still new to this atheism stuff and I can say that I'm not yet very strong to this stand that god doesn't exist though I do find the bible very ridiculous and fictional, especially parts of the revelation where the dead rises, Christians go to heaven and have new bodies that can go through walls and shit. And let me tell you, I REALLY hate the ceremonies where they "baptize" us with the "holy spirit" where you speak and tongues and stuff. And let me tell you guys, that's one of the things that makes their faith strong. So as a new atheist, I find it hard sometimes to find logical explanations to supernatural things that happen like miracle of people who're so sickly that they're almost dying and then all of a sudden they get healed. INSTANTLY! etsetera. So as of now, I still have a lot of questions in my mind that I'm looking for answers to each one of them. And the question in this thread is ONLY one of them.

I really do appreciate all the replies guys. I will continue to venture the world of logical and rational thinking. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes GuiltyAngel's post
07-04-2013, 07:58 AM
I like to respond: I can disprove your God.

There's no way to rule out all possible God concepts, especially Deistic concepts that don't interact with the universe after its inception. It is possible to reasonably disprove a God based on a few basic properties:
1. It interacts with the universe
2. It wants to be known by everyone
3. It is smart, prescient, and powerful enough to achieve (2)
These properties are incompatible with genuine searches for that God resulting in failure. These properties are incompatible with the existence of atheists. However, if the God wants to hide or is incompetent then it can't really be ruled out. For example the Calvanist God only plans to rescue a statistically insignificant number of people from eternal torture. Such a God has no need to found and could elude our detection.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 3 users Like Hafnof's post
07-04-2013, 08:53 AM
I can't disprove anything that has no legit founding on anything in reality.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
07-04-2013, 09:31 AM
(07-04-2013 07:22 AM)GuiltyAngel Wrote:  ...
I'm from the Philippines

Is Cebu rejecting catholicism? I have friends from there and they are all atheists.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
07-04-2013, 12:47 PM
(07-04-2013 07:22 AM)GuiltyAngel Wrote:  Thanks for all the answers guys. I really appreciate them. Smile
Thumbsup

I can see the point some of you are making but I can't get some of them though. Haha!

You see, I'm from the Philippines and just for you guys to know, Philippines is a very religious country. Religion here varies Muslims and so many branches of Christianity. I'm still new to this atheism stuff and I can say that I'm not yet very strong to this stand that god doesn't exist though I do find the bible very ridiculous and fictional, especially parts of the revelation where the dead rises, Christians go to heaven and have new bodies that can go through walls and shit. And let me tell you, I REALLY hate the ceremonies where they "baptize" us with the "holy spirit" where you speak and tongues and stuff. And let me tell you guys, that's one of the things that makes their faith strong. So as a new atheist, I find it hard sometimes to find logical explanations to supernatural things that happen like miracle of people who're so sickly that they're almost dying and then all of a sudden they get healed. INSTANTLY! etsetera. So as of now, I still have a lot of questions in my mind that I'm looking for answers to each one of them. And the question in this thread is ONLY one of them.

I really do appreciate all the replies guys. I will continue to venture the world of logical and rational thinking. Smile

I married into your culture. I use the Philippine culture as an example of how religion and culture can be deeply intertwined so it actually goes further than indoctrination.

It's nice to finally meet a Filipino non-believer. They are exceedingly rare.

As to your OP, I always combat that Theistic statement with, "Can you disprove the existence of unicorns? More often than not, we face a certain amount of uncertainty. With this in mind, we should try to live our lives with a bias towards the more logical path."

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 3 users Like NoahsFarce's post
07-04-2013, 12:49 PM
(07-04-2013 09:31 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(07-04-2013 07:22 AM)GuiltyAngel Wrote:  ...
I'm from the Philippines

Is Cebu rejecting catholicism? I have friends from there and they are all atheists.

Filipino Atheist? I seriously have not met a single one in real life (or on the Internet for that matter) and I'm married to one!

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
08-04-2013, 08:42 AM
Quote:2. It wants to be known by everyone
How did you come up with #2 if there is no God? This was your presupposition and is in no way a biblical concept, and I know KC would agree with me on this...

And the miracles you see in Asia are seen simply as God, right? Smile
[+] 1 user Likes PleaseJesus's post