Can you disprove the existence of god?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2013, 07:20 PM
RE: Can you disprove the existence of god?
(07-04-2013 09:31 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(07-04-2013 07:22 AM)GuiltyAngel Wrote:  ...
I'm from the Philippines

Is Cebu rejecting catholicism? I have friends from there and they are all atheists.

OH MY! I'm from Cebu! Are there many atheists here? I have no idea. Rejecting catholicism? That's quite almost impossible. Laugh out load
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2013, 07:24 PM
(07-04-2013 12:47 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  
(07-04-2013 07:22 AM)GuiltyAngel Wrote:  Thanks for all the answers guys. I really appreciate them. Smile
Thumbsup

I can see the point some of you are making but I can't get some of them though. Haha!

You see, I'm from the Philippines and just for you guys to know, Philippines is a very religious country. Religion here varies Muslims and so many branches of Christianity. I'm still new to this atheism stuff and I can say that I'm not yet very strong to this stand that god doesn't exist though I do find the bible very ridiculous and fictional, especially parts of the revelation where the dead rises, Christians go to heaven and have new bodies that can go through walls and shit. And let me tell you, I REALLY hate the ceremonies where they "baptize" us with the "holy spirit" where you speak and tongues and stuff. And let me tell you guys, that's one of the things that makes their faith strong. So as a new atheist, I find it hard sometimes to find logical explanations to supernatural things that happen like miracle of people who're so sickly that they're almost dying and then all of a sudden they get healed. INSTANTLY! etsetera. So as of now, I still have a lot of questions in my mind that I'm looking for answers to each one of them. And the question in this thread is ONLY one of them.

I really do appreciate all the replies guys. I will continue to venture the world of logical and rational thinking. Smile

I married into your culture. I use the Philippine culture as an example of how religion and culture can be deeply intertwined so it actually goes further than indoctrination.

It's nice to finally meet a Filipino non-believer. They are exceedingly rare.

As to your OP, I always combat that Theistic statement with, "Can you disprove the existence of unicorns? More often than not, we face a certain amount of uncertainty. With this in mind, we should try to live our lives with a bias towards the more logical path."

Rare? Absolutely, especially that religion has been part of the Filipino culture already for so many years. But I'm glad to be one of you guys now. Smile

As to your reply, I agree. It is better to be on the logical side. Great one! Thumbsup
08-04-2013, 07:29 PM
(05-04-2013 11:12 PM)GuiltyAngel Wrote:  I've been checking some videos on youtube about arguments of christians and atheists and I came to this one question.

Can we(atheists) disprove the existence of god?

We've been arguing with christians that god does not exist. Nothing can prove his existence and things like that. But what if a christian asks us, "Can you disprove his existence? If not, the why do you choose to deny him?"

How would you guys answer that question?

P.S.
Please don't reply with lengthy answers. I think it'll be better to answer in a concise way.

Thank you! Smile

Here is what my response would be:

No, I can't disprove God, but just because I can't doesn't mean he does exist. I deny him, or rather disbelieve in him because there is NO GOOD EVIDENCE that he exists. Or at least, none of the evidence I have been presented has been convincing."

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 2 users Like Atothetheist's post
08-04-2013, 07:48 PM
(05-04-2013 11:12 PM)GuiltyAngel Wrote:  I've been checking some videos on youtube about arguments of christians and atheists and I came to this one question.

We've been arguing with christians that god does not exist. Nothing can prove his existence and things like that. But what if a christian asks us, "Can you disprove his existence? If not, the why do you choose to deny him?"

P.S.
Please don't reply with lengthy answers. I think it'll be better to answer in a concise way.

Thank you! Smile

I would reply :
There is a 1957 Chevy orbiting Pluto, yet you fail to believe it, and cannot prove there is not. Why do you continue to fail to pay for it ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Political skeptic .. if there is a bad reason something bad might have happened, you can bet your ass, that's why it happened.
09-04-2013, 12:08 AM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2013 12:38 AM by fstratzero.)
God doesn't exist.

Evidence?

Gods properties.

Perfect
God's perfection destroys any idea that he created anything. A perfect being does not want, need, feel, or have any desire to do anything since everything is in perfect equilibrium.

Changeless
If he is perfect then he is changeless by definition. However the Bible says and people assert that he can and does interfere with the universe. By asserting this they ruin the idea that god is changeless sense a change of state is required for god to make ideas, decisions, and produce actions.

Timeless
With out time, he has no frame work in which cause and effect even make sense.

Spaceless
With out space he cannot inhabit any space.

Immaterial
With out substance he can not acquire mass

Eternal
He is with out time yet this property posits his existence lasting forever, or for infinity. Theologians destroy their eternal god by trying to prove actual infinities do not exist.

All loving
He can not be all loving for if one person burns in the lake of fire forever then he has caused an infinitely evil act.

All knowing
He cannot know there is something he can never know. By definition he would know there are somethings he cannot know while knowing that mystery. Another absurdity patched up with mystery.

All powerful
Just like the previous contradiction he has the power to do things he does not have the power to do. Absurd.

All just
Because the notion of hell exists, the notion that a finite crime would cause an infinite amount of punishment is the exact opposite of justice.

The more you add the more contradictions you rack up, and the more you have to patch the contradictions with mysteries and miracles just to keep that thought alive.

You can try and save it by removing all these properties, but then you end up with a being that is more powerful than humans but still limited in every aspect. Hardly worth calling it a being worthy of worship, or god.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 2 users Like fstratzero's post
09-04-2013, 12:23 AM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2013 12:27 AM by GirlyMan.)
No. And I don't care enough to try.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
09-04-2013, 12:41 AM
(09-04-2013 12:23 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  No. And I don't care enough to try.

Well the very notion of god proposed by theologians creates and idea that is at war with it's self. An idea that self destructs, they try to patch up with mysteries, miracles, and desert fantasies.

I say if they want to try a prove that some being does exist at least do so in a manner that makes sense. But as you can see it's impossible to rectify all these properties.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
09-04-2013, 01:57 AM
(08-04-2013 07:29 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  

P.S.

Thank you! Smile

Here is what my response would be:

No, I can't disprove God, but just because I can't doesn't mean he does exist. I deny him, or rather disbelieve in him because there is NO GOOD EVIDENCE that he exists. Or at least, none of the evidence I have been presented has been convincing."

What if they answer with, "What about the miracles? The sick who got healed, the dead who rose, people being baptized with the holy spirit that they were able to speak in tongues and the testimonies of people who have seen visions of angels and have been brought by god himself to heaven and hell? Aren't those evidences that he exists?"
09-04-2013, 02:03 AM
I can't believe how AWESOME your answers are! They're great guys! Thumbsup
09-04-2013, 03:40 AM
(07-04-2013 12:49 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  
(07-04-2013 09:31 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Is Cebu rejecting catholicism? I have friends from there and they are all atheists.

Filipino Atheist? I seriously have not met a single one in real life (or on the Internet for that matter) and I'm married to one!

One was a guy I worked with in Sydney (and his wife).

The others were pretty young things working in Singapore who became atheists after they found out the true meaning of 'god'.

Muaaahahahahahah!

Evil_monster

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Strong Atheists: do any of u have a position on god's existence which is facts-based? phil.a 133 1,597 20-08-2014 12:15 AM
Last Post: Reltzik
  Biblical prophecies: proof for the existence of a God? dylan 26 408 19-08-2014 08:20 AM
Last Post: JDog554
  Theists: do any of you have a position on god's existence which is facts-based? phil.a 27 292 19-08-2014 06:35 AM
Last Post: wazzel
  "I do not believe in the existence of any god(s)" Ace 12 190 07-08-2014 09:56 AM
Last Post: Brian37
  "The mind is proof of god's existence." Chujutsu 162 4,797 21-07-2014 03:42 PM
Last Post: Free Thought
  Another proof of god's existence Troll 13 424 07-04-2014 08:08 AM
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  For those who reject the existence of Jesus... shimmyjimmy 170 3,022 15-03-2014 01:13 PM
Last Post: GirlyMan